OCBC Voyage Card

Thai_Rak_Thai

Master Member
Reaction score
Received this Email about paying income tax with this card. Thoughts?

"OCBC VOYAGE is all about turning your every day experiences into an extraordinary one - even when it comes to paying your taxes. Now, with our latest service enhancement, we will help you reimagine tax payments by rewarding you with miles when you pay your taxes with your OCBC VOYAGE Credit Card.

Now you can sit back while your VOYAGE Card accumulates the miles for an air ticket to any destination of your choice, at your utmost convenience.

ABOUT TAX PAYMENT FACILITY

Enjoy the flexibility of choosing to pay for the full amount or over a period of 12-months. A one time processing fee of 1.9% applies. "

Last year the fee was 1% and each dollar spent 0.5 Voyage Mile. This year 1.9% fee and each dollar one Voyage Mile

Same same. But different? :D

elnewbie

Reaction score
1.9% translates into 1.9 cents per mile.

Is this a fair deal ?

I would think HSBC tax payment offers a better deal at 1.4 cents. Using Revolution card.

Last year the fee was 1% and each dollar spent 0.5 Voyage Mile. This year 1.9% fee and each dollar one Voyage Mile

Same same. But different? :D

Thai_Rak_Thai

Master Member
Reaction score
1.9% translates into 1.9 cents per mile.

Is this a fair deal ?

I would think HSBC tax payment offers a better deal at 1.4 cents. Using Revolution card.

Fair is subjective. No one really knows the algorithm of the Voyage Mile calculation

elnewbie

Reaction score
With Voyage it's 1.9cents per mile.

With HSBC revo, it's 1.4 cents per mile.

I'm not sure what u mean by subjective ? To me it's quite straightforward on which is the better deal.

Fair is subjective. No one really knows the algorithm of the Voyage Mile calculation

jermss

Reaction score
Update will regards to an earlier discussion....

Remember how I was talking about paying 10k for 500k miles for you to use on a return suit class tickets to places like New York or London? Another way to make use of this miles might be NOT to transfer it into your Krisflyer account but to redeem voyagers miles instead to book for the trip.

Here are some pro and cons that I can think of:

Pro:
1) it's a normal ticket to SQ so you don't need to worry about not being able to redeem.
2) You earn extra Krisflyer miles for your travel

Cons:
1) no one really knows how much or how the redemption of voyagers miles work so perhaps for you to redeem a suit class for SQ to NY might cost voyager 200,00k miles V what you need for Krisflyer.

Pls feel free to comment and add on.

Sent from send from Nokia 8810 using GAGT

GenuineSeller

Reaction score
Update will regards to an earlier discussion....

Remember how I was talking about paying 10k for 500k miles for you to use on a return suit class tickets to places like New York or London? Another way to make use of this miles might be NOT to transfer it into your Krisflyer account but to redeem voyagers miles instead to book for the trip.

Here are some pro and cons that I can think of:

Pro:
1) it's a normal ticket to SQ so you don't need to worry about not being able to redeem.
2) You earn extra Krisflyer miles for your travel

Cons:
1) no one really knows how much or how the redemption of voyagers miles work so perhaps for you to redeem a suit class for SQ to NY might cost voyager 200,00k miles V what you need for Krisflyer.

Pls feel free to comment and add on.

It will definitely cost more than what you need to redeem..... By a big margin.....

jermss

Reaction score
It will definitely cost more than what you need to redeem..... By a big margin.....
You are correct.. I got a quote from OCBC for a flight out.. Very bad exchange rates.

SQ offered me 31000 miles plus cash for tax and surcharge
OCBC wants 50000 miles plus same amount of cash for tax and surcharge.

I told them don't waste my time and transfer my miles to Kris flyer....

Having doubts about renewing this card now actually.

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are correct.. I got a quote from OCBC for a flight out.. Very bad exchange rates.

SQ offered me 31000 miles plus cash for tax and surcharge
OCBC wants 50000 miles plus same amount of cash for tax and surcharge.

I told them don't waste my time and transfer my miles to Kris flyer....

Having doubts about renewing this card now actually.

huh? so krisflyer redemption requires lower points??

louist

Reaction score
Definitely. From what I understand, Voyage Miles work more like rebate points to offset your ticket cost (source: http://milelion.com/2016/05/09/ocbcvoyage/ - I'm lazy to search this thread for earlier calculations, haha). 3¢ per VM is close to what someone had calculated previously, I think.

If you're into mile optimisation that's definitely not the best option (can easily get better deals with premium Saver fares, though with a lot more restrictions). Though personally I think the blogger is overly harsh - this card isn't too bad for earning KrisFlyer miles for dining and foreign spend, I think!

stajin

Reaction score
Definitely. From what I understand, Voyage Miles work more like rebate points to offset your ticket cost (source: http://milelion.com/2016/05/09/ocbcvoyage/ - I'm lazy to search this thread for earlier calculations, haha). 3¢ per VM is close to what someone had calculated previously, I think.

If you're into mile optimisation that's definitely not the best option (can easily get better deals with premium Saver fares, though with a lot more restrictions). Though personally I think the blogger is overly harsh - this card isn't too bad for earning KrisFlyer miles for dining and foreign spend, I think!

thats what i said as well, but the no exception annual fee is too high to justify for the card and rewards. ALso It is really only beneficial if you use the card to book economy class tickets using VM vs FF miles, otherwise vm is pretty useless.

2.3miles isnt the best for dining either hsbc advance currently is (4miles/$)

jermss

Reaction score

yes, KF redemption is at 31,000 miles plus $300ish cash for taxes and Voyager Miles requires 50,000 miles plus $300ish cash for taxes.

Doesnt really make sense unless you think its worth it to redeem with VM and then accumulate KF miles on the same ticket because you are allow to get KF miles when you redeem via VM.

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, KF redemption is at 31,000 miles plus $300ish cash for taxes and Voyager Miles requires 50,000 miles plus $300ish cash for taxes.

Doesnt really make sense unless you think its worth it to redeem with VM and then accumulate KF miles on the same ticket because you are allow to get KF miles when you redeem via VM.

thanks, that might still be worthwhile is vm miles flight can accumulate 19,000 miles.

by the way, 31000 miles is for which destinations? i am still thinking which air miles program to transfer all my cc miles to. some say asia miles offer better redemption deals.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
thanks, that might still be worthwhile is vm miles flight can accumulate 19,000 miles.

by the way, 31000 miles is for which destinations? i am still thinking which air miles program to transfer all my cc miles to. some say asia miles offer better redemption deals.

I can't see a 31000 KF miles destination being far enough for you to earn 19000 miles. If anything, to earn 19000 miles, you need a full fare economy class ticket from SG to New York - definitely won't be available for redemption at 31000 KF miles.

jermss

Reaction score
Pls allow me to mention your accumulated miles on KF is only 50% of total miles, which was what I was offered if I got my tickets via VM.

This voyage card is looking like a bad bargain now in my opinion.

Anyone has a different opinion?

elnewbie

Reaction score
It is a bad bargain unless you are an Ocbc premier customer, for which there are additional perks.

Pls allow me to mention your accumulated miles on KF is only 50% of total miles, which was what I was offered if I got my tickets via VM.

This voyage card is looking like a bad bargain now in my opinion.

Anyone has a different opinion?

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Voyage redeems commercial tickets, which obviously has far more availability. On point worth, its really dependent on what you're looking for.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.