Take taxi how to save money?

benlau1

Reaction score
SINGAPORE — Passengers who book ComfortDelGro taxis using the company’s booking app can now do away with whipping out cash or their credit or debit cards at the end of their trips.

The largest taxi operator in Singapore said today (Oct 9) it is the first in the country to accept MasterCard’s digital payment service, called MasterPass, where customers can create a mobile wallet that is connected to the ComfortDelGro taxi booking app.

Mr Yang Ban Seng, ComfortDelGro CEO (Taxi Business) said the service — which is accepted on the company’s entire fleet of 17,000 taxis — will provide their customers with a “seamless and hassle-free ride”.

“They just need to book our taxis using MasterPass, hop into our cab and get off at their destination without any fare transaction,” Mr Yang said, “Our drivers will also like it because there’s no fiddling of notes and coins and no dipping of cards.”

Users will have to register their payment cards via the MasterPass website to create a MasterPass wallet. This is then paired with the booking app, and payment for a cab ride will be automatically deducted from the mobile wallet.

Ms Deborah Heng, MasterCard’s country group head and general manager, said customers’ payment information will be securely stored.

The cashless and cardless mode of payment has been made popular by private transport company Uber and its companion smartphone app that allowed users to book and pay for Uber-affiliated cabs by linking their Uber account to a credit or debit card.

bazingaman

Reaction score
But I wonder is there any surcharge paying via Masterpass....

10% surcharge & 7% GST remains. But they are waiving booking charges during promo period. so overall same for one trip..

From today until 8 November 2015, the current taxi booking fee for a regular taxi ($2.30 and $3.30) will be waived for the first 10,000 MasterPass users who enter “MPASS” into the promotion code in the ComfortDelGro T axi Booking App 1 . Each user is given one redemption and successful redemptions will be confirmed via the in-application notification. The taxi booking fee will be waived from the final metered fare at the end of the taxi ride.

more3cm

Reaction score
Flashpay has ended the 5% promo for comfort cabs... so only left dash got rebate?

chongpang

Reaction score
2016 is a fresh new year. Anyone know what method to take cab without 10% surcharge & 7% GST? :s11:

Any discounts using any apps? What is cabrewards points? :s22:

Which cc has best rebates to take cab? :s11:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Dear members please be reminded this is not allowed
Unsolicited Content (Commercial solicitation / Ads / Referrals / Spam)

Do not post any referral code here.

ykeen

Reaction score
Flashpay has ended the 5% promo for comfort cabs... so only left dash got rebate?

I try to use DASH whenever possible.. since there is no surcharge.. even normal NETS got 30c..

But sometimes never get comfort/citycab cabs.. very sian.. :o

other way is grab car/uber X can pay via CC without surcharge.. but might incur cross border fee unless using paypal.. or HSBC card...

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I try to use DASH whenever possible.. since there is no surcharge.. even normal NETS got 30c..

But sometimes never get comfort/citycab cabs.. very sian.. :o

other way is grab car/uber X can pay via CC without surcharge.. but might incur cross border fee unless using paypal.. or HSBC card...

Once I took cab, uncle say dun know how to use DASH :(

battledome64

Master Member
Reaction score
I had many bad experience with dash

1) driver/ seller say device is spoilt

Maybe it's an excuse

2) I went to watsons
They couldn't turn on the machine and they turn on
Load it makes me paiseh to hold the line

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think some taxi drivers prefer to handle cash, and thus, gave excuses not to use any of the cashless payment methods.

I can tell you one case I personally encounter many years back. The moment I got onto the taxi, the driver stated that he would only accept cash and told me the reason. He was facing some money problem, and that all his bank accounts had been frozen. So, if I were to pay the fare using cashless transaction, the fare would have been routed to his bank accounts, and he would not be able to get his hands on the money.

Do cashless transactions mean that the drivers may not get the payment immediately, but will be paid out by the taxi company as a monthly pay out?

Cash is still king.

Last edited:

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but there is also driver who prefer cashless, so they do not need to carry so much cash or give change. cos i do encounter a few whbo say "so convenient and fast to pay by ezlink right" , cos less than 5sec can get off cab liao.

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but there is also driver who prefer cashless, so they do not need to carry so much cash or give change. cos i do encounter a few whbo say "so convenient and fast to pay by ezlink right" , cos less than 5sec can get off cab liao.

That's very true. Also, less cash on hand means less susceptible to robbery

So I guess every driver got different preference.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.