HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Thread on MCC (merchant category codes)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Thread on MCC (merchant category codes)

Firstly, is there an existing thread on this already? Shouldn't a thread like this be a sticky? This is different from which card is best for what type of charge, it is how are different merchants classified by Visa/MC.

The specific questions that prompted this is:

Is Deliveroo.com coded as "restaurant or dining"? Or, is it coded as an online charge? What about Pizza Hut delivery?

Examples from different members here would be useful in the case of cafeterias, bars, airlines (are they travel or online?), etc. and especially if they have found different banks for whatever reason considering them differently.
vegavega25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Online is just indicator, not MCC.

MCC is about what the merchant does.
fr33d0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #3

Online is just indicator, not MCC.

MCC is about what the merchant does.
Okay.

In which case, how does a bank like BOC or any other bank which considers 'online charges' as a special category work? For example, if I have exhausted the maximum rebate-spend amount under the 'dining category', will a subsequent Pizzahut.com.sg charge (assuming it is classified as dining in the first place) get counted under online spending and get the relevant rebate for that? Or with CIMB, suppose I order from Pizzahut.com sitting in the US. Does that charge count against my dining spends first, or my online forex spends first?

Does this practice involve a discretionary policy on the part of the bank's? Even if that is so, the policy itself doesn't matter. All I'd like, for simplicity's sake, is a list that consolidates all these findings in terms of the way the actual charge is classified and rebates/miles/whatever awarded in members' own experience.
vegavega25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Okay.

In which case, how does a bank like BOC or any other bank which considers 'online charges' as a special category work? For example, if I have exhausted the maximum rebate-spend amount under the 'dining category', will a subsequent Pizzahut.com.sg charge (assuming it is classified as dining in the first place) get counted under online spending and get the relevant rebate for that? Or with CIMB, suppose I order from Pizzahut.com sitting in the US. Does that charge count against my dining spends first, or my online forex spends first?

Does this practice involve a discretionary policy on the part of the bank's? Even if that is so, the policy itself doesn't matter. All I'd like, for simplicity's sake, is a list that consolidates all these findings in terms of the way the actual charge is classified and rebates/miles/whatever awarded in members' own experience.
It depends on how the programming of the rebate is coded. Dun think there is any official document of what happens after the rebate cap for certain category is maxed out. At best we can analyze and draw conclusion based on rebate received.

Btw there is a mass sourced spreadsheet to conolidate inputs related to MCC. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ffbzrIlK7iTO_IAT7nzk8ULWf1zsRX9F-rniLbRwwR4/edit?usp=drivesdk
Trazora is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.