The consequence of insufficient cycling paths in Singapore is that diabetes rates wil

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The consequence of insufficient cycling paths in Singapore is that diabetes rates will be out of control with serious repercussions on economy, transportation, quality of life in Singapore.

Diabetes rates are already very high in Singapore:
Singapore 'has 2nd-highest proportion of diabetics'
fNO5FUe.jpg
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/singapore-has-2nd-highest-proportion-of-diabetics

The consequence of diabetes being, not least, foot amputations, kidney failure requiring dialysis.
Diabetes complications:
diabetes-mellitus-diabetic-high-blood-sugar-complications-and-vector-id495053010

Many people will be underemployed due to medical leave to receive dialysis treatments 3 or more times a week, each for half day at least, blindness, heart failure etc. Public transportation will be crowded and delayed by wheelchair users, footpaths may be jammed up by wheelchair users and police, ambulance and fire service activated constantly to rescue stranded wheelchair users whose battery packs fail or caught fire. Taxes will have to increase to pay for the expensive medical treatment costs of the multiple complications of T2 diabetes mellitus.

In this photo display, it can be seen that due to space shortage, dialysis patients even have to park their wheelchairs outside the dialysis centre and a camera built to secure the area. The waiting area also has to be situated outside the dialysis centre to handle larger crowds of dialysis patients and attending caregivers.
NKF Dialysis center:
uZptkUY.jpg

Special parking area (bicycle parking not allowed):
TJlU4sm.jpg

Special waiting area with camera:
zWu52C5.jpg

Notice to wheelchair users:
https://i.imgur.com/QwGtKH7.jpg[//img]

From Gadg(aid) episode 1,
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/video-on-demand/gadgaid :
Wheelchair users need to use main road due to poor pedestrian pathway access to wheelchair users:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/4A3S3oY.jpg

Wheelchair users block cyclist because they are broad, slow/ clumsy on shared paths:
JEOmBhB.jpg

Thus, between building more NKF dialysis centres and more tax payer sponsored facilities for wheelchair users receiving medical/ dialysis treatments (more spacious public transportation, ambulance taxis etc) or more bicycle paths, I think the choice is as Stark as it is very clear (will even significantly lower government budget for public transportation as people use bicycles to transport themselves).

Please let us have more bicycle paths and bicycle-bus lanes in Singapore:
Fuud5yG.jpg

See edits at https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/current-affairs-lounge-17/consequence-insufficient-cycling-paths-singapore-diabetes-rates-wil-6221892.html#post125522010

Last edited:

stardotstar

Reaction score
Eating habits is the main cause of diabetes. Nothing else.

You can avoid diabetes by drastically reducing various form of sugar and carbo intake.

Learn to guestimate the calories of foods you wolf down. Target not to exceed your weight/age/gender limit per day as excess will be store a fat and this constant excess glucose in the blood will lead to insulin resistance, hence diabetes.

Search topics about intermittent fasting which don't require you to go hungry like the muslims during ramadan.It's different and does not require you to spend money to reduce weight and stay healthy.

And type 2 diabetes is reversible by controlling your calorie intake.

You don't need to cycle to prevent diabetes. Govt should instead make sugar alternatives like Stevia, cheaper through subsidies so we can cut down on processed/refined sugar while still enjoy our foods.

Last edited:

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/current-affairs-lounge-17/consequence-insufficient-cycling-paths-singapore-diabetes-rates-wil-6221892.html#post125522379

Eating habits is the main cause of diabetes. Nothing else.

You can avoid diabetes by drastically reducing various form of sugar and carbo intake.

Learn to guestimate the calories of foods you wolf down. Target not to exceed your weight/age/gender limit per day as excess will be store a fat and this constant excess glucose in the blood will lead to insulin resistance, hence diabetes.

Search topics about intermittent fasting which don't require you to go hungry like the muslims during ramadan.It's different and does not require you to spend money to reduce weight and stay healthy.

And type 2 diabetes is reversible by controlling your calorie intake.

You don't need to cycle to prevent diabetes. Govt should instead make sugar alternatives like Stevia, cheaper through subsidies so we can cut down on processed/refined sugar while still enjoy our foods.

Energy balance lah.

If not, Michael Phelps would have diabetes even before his 1st Olympic gold medal.

Phelps eats 12,000 kcal per day, only matched by his 12,000 kCal training program. Everything is burned off, so he maintains his Olympic fitness state at the end of each day (probably peak at Olympics competition day).

For a visual guide of what 12,000kCal looks like:
https://youtu(dot)be/vqSlIrjxnDo
https://youtu.be/vqSlIrjxnDo

Michael Phelps training routine (12,000kCal/ day intensity)
https://youtu(dot)be/sRDdFM9d_mI
https://youtu.be/sRDdFM9d_mI

Last edited:

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
TS thought this is edmw?
TS believes everyone only cycle to exercise.:o

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS thought this is edmw?
TS believes everyone only cycle to exercise.:o

Don't also must adopt because Singaporeans all don't exercise enough, that is why costs of treating and also related disease burden costs (unemployment, social welfare) burden on tax payers is so high.

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
It is self motivation.
There are tracks, footpaths and even almost free gyms in every estate.
It is just many lame excuses many would try to find.

Don't also must adopt because Singaporeans all don't exercise enough, that is why costs of treating and also related disease burden costs (unemployment, social welfare) burden on tax payers is so high.

stardotstar

Reaction score
Cherry6,

I lost weight about 7kg in 6 weeks without cycling or going to gym. Just 5mins of exercise at home daily and controlling my calorie intake. And my weight is still dropping..using part keto, part calorie deficit diet, part intermittent fasting and Apple cider vinegar as first thing I drink after I wake up and last thing I consume before I sleep.

Most obese people cannot exercise to slim down as it will hurt them more than help them due to weight straining their joints and heart.

And the social stigma of being obese and putting off going to the gym due to self conscious.

Understand your body RMR (Rest Metabolic Rate) calorie uptake and aim what u eat to be less than that.

Normal male adult RMR is about 1600 calories so eat less than 1600 calories.

Understand the science and listen to your body.

FYI, 1 egg has 155 calories. To burn that amount you need to jog/walk for 2km.

Doing 30 secs of sit up/ push up / planking / alternate leg tucks for a total of 5mins burns more calories.

No need to cycle for XXX km.

Last edited:

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Omnipresent88 (sgTalk) said:
jnWXzul.jpg

Does stress cause diabetes?
Medical studies into stress and its attendant effects on glucose levels have shown that psychological or mental stress can elevate glucose levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes and a majority of type 1 diabetics.....

Yes, stress is probably very large cause of type 2 diabetes mellitus this is because glucose like an amphetamine which stressed out people would consume to give me the Boost of energy to overcome the stress however since the stress is mental/ competence based, the person's response dysfunctional, the glucose ends up being turn into fat whilst the person is unable (receives no help) to overcome the stressful event, which makes the person even more fat/unproductive/ sedentary and therefore in a vicious cycle even more stressed out the next time such a similarly stressful event comes along.

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cherry6,

I lost weight about 7kg in 6 weeks without cycling or going to gym. Just 5mins of exercise at home daily and controlling my calorie intake. And my weight is still dropping..using part keto, part calorie deficit diet, part intermittent fasting and Apple cider vinegar as first thing I drink after I wake up and last thing I consume before I sleep.

Most obese people cannot exercise to slim down as it will hurt them more than help them due to weight straining their joints and heart.

And the social stigma of being obese and putting off going to the gym due to self conscious.

Understand your body RMR (Rest Metabolic Rate) calorie uptake and aim what u eat to be less than that.

Normal male adult RMR is about 1600 calories so eat less than 1600 calories.

Understand the science and listen to your body.

FYI, 1 egg has 155 calories. To burn that amount you need to jog/walk for 2km.

Doing 30 secs of sit up/ push up / planking / alternate leg tucks for a total of 5mins burns more calories.

No need to cycle for XXX km.

Obese also can slim down.
5b75986eb4879.image.jpg

So the option to cycle remains a very important one, especially so in the light that bus services can be curtailed if people cycle themselves around and not demand buses to arrive in under 10 minutes .

Everyone lifestyle is unique and there is no one size fits all, an obese person managing to become more active (have plan, is now educated and with will power and not just blindly following doctors orders will definitely slim down even if his diet is unchanged.

Otherwise, what would u call Michael Phelps diet: unhealthy cos of high glucose drinks and plenty of carbs? I would like to see u win Olympic medals with a diet otherwise.

recovery_girl

Reaction score
Can it also be because of our high carbs diet? the only option at the hawker i can find with lots of veg is either ytf or caifan :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.