Plzhalp

I did something really stupid.

Due to some opportunity to invest I needed some funds so after using up my savings I was still short of some 50k. Coincidentally I had received this message offering loan on watsapp. 50k for 60 months at 1000$ per month. Thinking I give it a try I contacted the number and soon it began.
The guy started chatting and patiently answering all my questions. And by night he had my Singpass login password to check my details. All done and changed the password immediately. Later I got a message saying loan approved, and asked for my account number. Gave it and was told they will send me a test loan which I need to pay in a feeble days. So they transfer 400 and return 700$. 300$ will be returned to ne later. Strange as it sounded I agreed. Shortly after I received the amount and confirmed back.

Today I then got a call saying I need to pay $1280 for processing fee. In total they will return it together with the loan amount. Was busy and didn’t think much so I transferred. My fast transfer allow only 1k so I told the balance I’ll do it tomorrow. That’s when I woke up and started googling out.

Eventually started reading this post and the horror stories. I instantly decided this had to end right away. Called the guy and told him I don’t need the loan and. I also knew I would not get my 1k and so told he can keep it and I am done.

Then the nightmare started. He threatens me that I have to take the loan blah blah but I stood firm. In the end he agrees for me settle info I transfer the 700$ back and we are all square. That was at 11:13. And I had to transfer back by 11:15. Still 2 mins was good enough so I quickly stared my internet app just to realise I already exceeded my daily limit. So immediately called him
Back to say I need 20 mins to drive to posb and make a deposit. He aggresn but as soon as I got there, deposited and sent him the picture of the receipt the guys calls me and says I was late and now I need to pay 2000$.

There was lots of swearing and cursing from him and more messages with lots of threats and pictures. I stood firm saying he will not get a single cent from me. A few more calls later I blocked him. More messages appears from another number so blocked that too. That was the end of it.

All this happened an hour ago. Last threat was that they will send commando to my home and call my wife etc. I did not budge and then the 2000$ became 5000$.

The guy made a cool 1300$ from me for nothing. But after reading some
If the stores here I knew I’d be trouble with a 50k loan over 5 years. I be doomed and so’d be my family.

Now I am just waiting for them to try again to scare me to bet that money they demanded.

I a hoping that they be happy with what they already made from me and don’t bother any more especially since I did not yield to their threats.

I just hope they don’t call my Wife and office tomorrow or even worse show up at my door.

It was big mistake but in the end I think I stepped back out of a larger life time mess.

Rest assured I will not be paying a single cent to them no matter what. But then l expect some anxiety for the next few days or weeks.

Would these guys try or be happy with what the already got from me?

Sad to hear this....but I Guess u might have been classified as a good leg now....like what others have said just inform ur NOK/Office first let them know beforehand so they know how to deal with it respectively. They will definitely call to try to harass and see if they can get more....just tide through with it.....go make police report install cctv....protect urself first....and yes correct pls don’t pay anymore...don’t u see that each time u pay the price is increasing...?

Jjlin1205

Due to some opportunity to invest I needed some funds so after using up my savings I was still short of some 50k. Coincidentally I had received this message offering loan on watsapp. 50k for 60 months at 1000$ per month. Thinking I give it a try I contacted the number and soon it began.
The guy started chatting and patiently answering all my questions. And by night he had my Singpass login password to check my details. All done and changed the password immediately. Later I got a message saying loan approved, and asked for my account number. Gave it and was told they will send me a test loan which I need to pay in a feeble days. So they transfer 400 and return 700$. 300$ will be returned to ne later. Strange as it sounded I agreed. Shortly after I received the amount and confirmed back.

Today I then got a call saying I need to pay $1280 for processing fee. In total they will return it together with the loan amount. Was busy and didn’t think much so I transferred. My fast transfer allow only 1k so I told the balance I’ll do it tomorrow. That’s when I woke up and started googling out.

Eventually started reading this post and the horror stories. I instantly decided this had to end right away. Called the guy and told him I don’t need the loan and. I also knew I would not get my 1k and so told he can keep it and I am done.

Then the nightmare started. He threatens me that I have to take the loan blah blah but I stood firm. In the end he agrees for me settle info I transfer the 700$ back and we are all square. That was at 11:13. And I had to transfer back by 11:15. Still 2 mins was good enough so I quickly stared my internet app just to realise I already exceeded my daily limit. So immediately called him
Back to say I need 20 mins to drive to posb and make a deposit. He aggresn but as soon as I got there, deposited and sent him the picture of the receipt the guys calls me and says I was late and now I need to pay 2000$.

There was lots of swearing and cursing from him and more messages with lots of threats and pictures. I stood firm saying he will not get a single cent from me. A few more calls later I blocked him. More messages appears from another number so blocked that too. That was the end of it.

All this happened an hour ago. Last threat was that they will send commando to my home and call my wife etc. I did not budge and then the 2000$ became 5000$.

If the stores here I knew I’d be trouble with a 50k loan over 5 years. I be doomed and so’d be my family.

Now I am just waiting for them to try again to scare me to bet that money they demanded.

I a hoping that they be happy with what they already made from me and don’t bother any more especially since I did not yield to their threats.

I just hope they don’t call my Wife and office tomorrow or even worse show up at my door.

It was big mistake but in the end I think I stepped back out of a larger life time mess.

Rest assured I will not be paying a single cent to them no matter what. But then l expect some anxiety for the next few days or weeks.

Ignore them..if they show sign of fear they will suck u forever.knn these ** ah long scam becoz they are ballness **.knn

lapcheongsap

They have already made a profit. This profit will go into paint jobs or commando jobs they hire.

As such I would really urge you to report the matter to authorities first. Using this report, you can thereafter explain the situation better to everyone that is going to be effected, when they strike. Even if they don't, at the very least you know you will not be implicated in anyway possible in future.

winster

Sad to hear this....but I Guess u might have been classified as a good leg now....like what others have said just inform ur NOK/Office first let them know beforehand so they know how to deal with it respectively. They will definitely call to try to harass and see if they can get more....just tide through with it.....go make police report install cctv....protect urself first....and yes correct pls don’t pay anymore...don’t u see that each time u pay the price is increasing...?

Thanks for the messages and advices.

May I ask what it means “I am classified as a good leg” please.

Since blocking both numbers I have not received any more calls or messages. There was not a due date stated either.
I intend to play the waiting game to begin with.

My primary concern is whether if they will turn up at my door and post any posters etc.
Next my Wife, but I can always explain if they contact her.
Lastly my office. We don’t have physical phones since we use Skype so I could always ignore the calls. I usually know the number that call in. Unless they get smarter and call the reception asking for me. If that happens then I’ll speak to HR to indicate I been scammed. I don’t think there is much to do after that.

Speak of scams, by now I gather the below,
There is never any intention to disburse the original loan requested.
Their MO is to get the unsuspecting individual into this vicious cycle of paying more and more on the pretext of late payments.
Once they know you are fearful of them they will go on forever.
However, if once they realise there is no way of getting money out of you and as Long as you don’t owe them nothing their intensity will gradually diminish.
This is not money lending albeit for high interest rates. This is a clearly a form of extortion using the dirtiest of scare tactics.

JamieJimmyNg

Meaning you are potential money tree for the Loansharks. Once they shake you and money will drop.

Pls stop paying them. If not you will become botak tree. Do read from the start of this thread.

Since blocking both numbers I have not received any more calls or messages. There was not a due date stated either.

My primary concern is whether if they will turn up at my door and post any posters etc.
Lastly my office. We don’t have physical phones since we use Skype so I could always ignore the calls. I usually know the number that call in. Unless they get smarter and call the reception asking for me. If that happens then I’ll speak to HR to indicate I been scammed. I don’t think there is much to do after that.

Their MO is to get the unsuspecting individual into this vicious cycle of paying more and more on the pretext of late payments.
However, if once they realise there is no way of getting money out of you and as Long as you don’t owe them nothing their intensity will gradually diminish.
This is not money lending albeit for high interest rates. This is a clearly a form of extortion using the dirtiest of scare tactics.

Plzhalp

In another words good leg means big fish, cos u paid whenever they ask you.... so yes stop paying....they have a lot of numbers....if you consistently get unknown caller ID/unknown number, you may consider to change your number..... depends on ur AL, they itchy will come already....I still insist you should let ur NOK/office know first in case of anything...for mine....my AL emailed company and called reception hotline also....

And go and make a police report...

EmmaNeedsHelp

Hi, so my amount is relatively small, i borrowed from a man who claimed to be licensed, he had certs and license numbers and even had supposed backing from a licensed moneylender company. After a few weeks it was apparent he wasn't legit.

i only borrowed 200 and have more or less paid back everything via deferments. Upon reading the advice of everyone here I went to make a police report and changed my singpass ID and stuff.

What else can I do?

winster

Meaning you are potential money tree for the Loansharks. Once they shake you and money will drop.

Pls stop paying them. If not you will become botak tree. Do read from the start of this thread.

They are for sure not going to get anything from me and I made it clear to him from the onset once the situation started to turn sour.

My message was clear. I don’t have any more money to give and you will not see a single $ coming out of me. Then more threats and eventually gone silent.

I did not even once beg to leave me alone or ask not to contact me. Even told him that my Wife and family are made aware already so good luck in contacting them. Lastly told him the next time you make contact I’ll be reporting to police.
I don’t live in a HDB so to some extent there is security. But they could tailgate and come to my unit nevertheless.
I live next door to a gentleman who works in CID division (not that he will be able to do anything or not) and he works nights so usually their door is always open and they have a fierce dog who will bark without fail and then trigger my own dog to bark. That might not be much but for now it’s something.

In the meanwhile I’ll work out a CCTV installation.

JamieJimmyNg

Get cctv and also inform your NOK and workplace that you got scammed. And ignore. Small amount. No need to worry much, really.

Hi, so my amount is relatively small, i borrowed from a man who claimed to be licensed, he had certs and license numbers and even had supposed backing from a licensed moneylender company. After a few weeks it was apparent he wasn't legit.

i only borrowed 200 and have more or less paid back everything via deferments. Upon reading the advice of everyone here I went to make a police report and changed my singpass ID and stuff.

What else can I do?

JamieJimmyNg

Yes. Once you be tougher and fierce, they can’t get to you. Which is the message we are sending across to all new borrowers with issues now. If you give in to your fears, they will continue shake you like money tree til you have nothing to give and they will still force you. So read from the beginning of this thread and you will know how to handle all these idiots.

They are for sure not going to get anything from me and I made it clear to him from the onset once the situation started to turn sour.

My message was clear. I don’t have any more money to give and you will not see a single $ coming out of me. Then more threats and eventually gone silent.

I did not even once beg to leave me alone or ask not to contact me. Even told him that my Wife and family are made aware already so good luck in contacting them. Lastly told him the next time you make contact I’ll be reporting to police.
I don’t live in a HDB so to some extent there is security. But they could tailgate and come to my unit nevertheless.
I live next door to a gentleman who works in CID division (not that he will be able to do anything or not) and he works nights so usually their door is always open and they have a fierce dog who will bark without fail and then trigger my own dog to bark. That might not be much but for now it’s something.

In the meanwhile I’ll work out a CCTV installation.

Jjlin1205

Good leg mean kiasi type will always pay promptly..
Hiong leg means ppl like me who from good leg initially but now have no intention to pay Liao.

Plzhalp

What else can I do?

Where did u saw the advert...? Got sign contract...? If not it’s illegal... then stop paying if u have paid finish...

EmmaNeedsHelp

Where did u saw the advert...? Got sign contract...? If not it’s illegal... then stop paying if u have paid finish...

It was online, propped up by SEO, i think. It was being promoted, claimed to be backed up by licensed moneylenders.

Not legal, no contract. My deferments have paid off double the amount that i'd borrowed. Have made a police report, planning to block number, and considering changing bank account number. Also talked to the people behind Singapore Anti-loanshark.

Plzhalp

It was online, propped up by SEO, i think. It was being promoted, claimed to be backed up by licensed moneylenders.

Not legal, no contract. My deferments have paid off double the amount that i'd borrowed. Have made a police report, planning to block number, and considering changing bank account number. Also talked to the people behind Singapore Anti-loanshark.

What’s SEO...? Legal licensed money lender cannot advertise online.... close ur bank account...

EmmaNeedsHelp

What’s SEO...? Legal licensed money lender cannot advertise online.... close ur bank account...

Search Engine Optimization. How do you change a bank account and will your pay then be transferred there? I'm changing jobs soon (unrelated to this).

JamieJimmyNg

Don’t bother to talk to the people at Singapore anti Loansharks. They will ask you for a fee. For me, it was a close buddy who paid more than 10k and he decided to seek the advices here. Now he is doing much even though his door got splashed. And runner was being caught.

This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.