Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Guys,

Please also take note:

Nowadays there are some sms / call asking u if u need any loan and saying they are LML. And they are targeting those who hve bad credit reports with either bank / LML last time, and those who will have loans approval rejected by most of the LML.

Yes, these calls will direct u to a LML shop and they are operating as LML but they are actually UML feigning as LML. Most of the time, they will start off ur loan at $500 and will be weekly payments for 5 wks. Why they extend for 5 weeks is coz every mth they can only charge u one time late payment of $60 base on MAS regulation and they know u borrow coz u have monetary issue so if u late, they can charge u a good $120 of late fees easily for the term of loan.

However, these ‘LML’ will get really nasty when u have problem paying and it totally resembles an ULM so never borrow or fall into their trap. Worst to start the whole cycle of unrest again.

Cheers

Indeed, this is happening. It's really not loan shark but Loan Scam.

In fact, if you receive any ads that can say can lend you money. Basically it's all a lie and illegal.

Reaction score
Go make police report.. they won’t be able to catch the **** but at least u won’t get into deep **** like me... I go lock someone gate, but I left the key there... then I confess to the IO about that, now my lawyer tell me to expect 12-15 month in Changi.

All these fkers now using underhand methods to get people to take loans from them... no license but they say they have license... then u take loan from them thinking they have real license... when start having trouble to repay the loan, they become unlicensed...

PMed you. Pls reply when you are able.

Jfs111

Reaction score
I know this is easier said than done, but u really need to get out of debt and cut all contacts with them

So many years... just calculate the amount of interest u have paid them

Yes thats true thats why i decided. Anybody who has encountered the singapore anti loan shark in FB? Are they legit?

kleong

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes thats true thats why i decided. Anybody who has encountered the singapore anti loan shark in FB? Are they legit?

Apparently they will send ppl to "patrol" your place and help nab the runner if they come across. No guarantee and it comes with a fee

Makminah

Reaction score
Can we like help one person at a time.. If the victim is aware of the approximate time the runner comes. Lets make a group of 20 and catch him.. Should start this islandwide and get as many caught as possible

20 people consider as illegal gathering liao. In the end we could get trouble with law. While your intentions are good, its not easy to gather people let alone trying to catch a runner.

Headached

Reaction score
Thank for the tip bro

Guys,

Please also take note:

Nowadays there are some sms / call asking u if u need any loan and saying they are LML. And they are targeting those who hve bad credit reports with either bank / LML last time, and those who will have loans approval rejected by most of the LML.

Yes, these calls will direct u to a LML shop and they are operating as LML but they are actually UML feigning as LML. Most of the time, they will start off ur loan at $500 and will be weekly payments for 5 wks. Why they extend for 5 weeks is coz every mth they can only charge u one time late payment of $60 base on MAS regulation and they know u borrow coz u have monetary issue so if u late, they can charge u a good $120 of late fees easily for the term of loan.

However, these ‘LML’ will get really nasty when u have problem paying and it totally resembles an ULM so never borrow or fall into their trap. Worst to start the whole cycle of unrest again.

Cheers

Reaction score
What is the difference between loan scam and loansharks?

Loans sharks charge high interest rates but if you pay off, they can stop bothering you.

Loan scams use terror to keep harassing for you for more money once you start paying.
Forced loans, harassment, says you bank in your wrong account, say your payment late when never give you bank account to pay, all tricks to terrorize you and squeeze more money out of you.

Bottom line is if you make a mistake giving them personal details, received money from them, you are in for trouble. How to get out. Read the rest of the advice from the past victims here.

Lynn14

Reaction score
Loans sharks charge high interest rates but if you pay off, they can stop bothering you.

Loan scams use terror to keep harassing for you for more money once you start paying.
Forced loans, harassment, says you bank in your wrong account, say your payment late when never give you bank account to pay, all tricks to terrorize you and squeeze more money out of you.

Bottom line is if you make a mistake giving them personal details, received money from them, you are in for trouble. How to get out. Read the rest of the advice from the past victims here.

Thanks for the explanation

Makminah

Reaction score
Today my 1st LS due day for payment. Msg me asking for payment. Say if I never respond will come up to my house. Last payment I did was on 9th December 2018. Still ignoring them though. Do you think they really will come up? The forced loan $500. I paid double or maybe even triple the amount already.
Pray for me guys. 😂

Jfs111

Reaction score
Today my 1st LS due day for payment. Msg me asking for payment. Say if I never respond will come up to my house. Last payment I did was on 9th December 2018. Still ignoring them though. Do you think they really will come up? The forced loan $500. I paid double or maybe even triple the amount already.
Pray for me guys. 😂

Dont worry everything will be ok. Mine will be on the 31st but i changed number already

Jfs111

Reaction score
Pray for me guys. 😂

If we dont stop paying the cycle never ends and we can never enjoy our hard earned money that our family is supposed to enjoy. After we go through all this we need to promise each other that we will never ever borrow from any LS again

Makminah

Reaction score
Dont worry everything will be ok. Mine will be on the 31st but i changed number already

I didnt change num due to work and also I didnt block them cause I dont want them to bother my NOK. Hopefully it will be okay. Cause no one will be home till late night.
Oh no new years eve. I hope all is well for your side too!

Makminah

Reaction score
If we dont stop paying the cycle never ends and we can never enjoy our hard earned money that our family is supposed to enjoy. After we go through all this we need to promise each other that we will never ever borrow from any LS again

Yes. Very much agree. No matter how desperate dont turn to LS. If possible even LML.
Eventhough deep down I still feel scared but I am more relaxed now compare to how i am last time. Their msgs dont really get to me like last time. 😂

Jfs111

Reaction score
Yes. Very much agree. No matter how desperate dont turn to LS. If possible even LML.
Eventhough deep down I still feel scared but I am more relaxed now compare to how i am last time. Their msgs dont really get to me like last time. 😂

I changed my number coz i left my job already too so no point. I hope other people who are victims of LS could read this thread so that all the LS operations will die. I feel better too coz our lift got the CCTV connected to the police station.

Messup

Reaction score
Sounds like my case in the beginning part.

So they still keep harassing you and NOK?

Dear all, I just created this account to share my story. I am a new victim of these LOAN SCAMS from just past week. Read through many of the messages here and am *SUPER ANGRY* at how so many have been cheated. For all the victims here, we must stand up and stamp out these scammers and crime.

So much harassment is made to the victims and stress created to them and family members, colleagues, workplace. Jobs lost, family lost, friends lost. THIS MUST STOP and victims must unite to make Singapore a safe place and reduce the number of victims to ZERO.

The 2 people I talked to are Chinese Malaysian.

My story:

I was promised a loan of 10k for 5 yrs and only need to pay $200 for 60 times. (LIE)

I was asked to send IC, income statement, next of kin contacts for loan approval (DONT EVER DO THIS) [others have been asked for SINGPASS, DON"T EVER DO THIS]

I was told the loan was all legal and can be done online (LIE)

I was told they will make a test transaction to me and I just need to transfer them back before they send me the actual loan amount (LIE)

I was told after the funds transfer to me, then they will send me the Terms and Conditions of the loan (LIE)

I was told that they have a legit company with legit license and got website (LIE) - I later checked and found they gave name of an "expired" company" not on approved LML list

After the test transaction amount transferred to me, they started to harass me for the money, saying I took the loan already and pressured me to transfer by a certain time, if not I will be in trouble. After that they harass 2 of my next of kin with threatening messages. You will get it from your next of kin.

*** Never even touch any of these people EVER, also stay away from LML if you can. *** These are not money lenders, they are LOAN SCAMMERS. ***

Spoke to Police, Spoke to Credit Association.

Advice given is:

1. File Report ASAP
2. Do not do any transactions
3. Close bank account ASAP
4. Change all phone numbers
5. Block all their numbers (spare yourself the harassment)
6. Brace yourself for any harassment online or offline
7. Call 999 immediately if there any suspicious people seen near your home or office
8. Lastly, DO NOT BE AFRAID. (You are not the first victim and will not be the last)

Victims who want to work together to fight this and to share info - PM me. Will pass on as much info so that they can work. This is our Singapore, let us make it SAFE.

If not, pass info to:

Members of the public are also advised not to work with or assist loan sharks in any way and to call the police at 999 or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect anyone of being involved in illegal loan-sharking activities.

Crime does NOT PAY. (Pls google these news, I can't post links as am too new)

Case 1: Police warn students against loan shark jobs as 109 people arrested in 3-day blitz
Case 2: 'Auntie' loan shark runner arrested by police

Case 3: 118 arrested for suspected loan shark activities after four-day police operation

First-time offenders found guilty of carrying out or assisting in unlicensed moneylending business may be fined between S$30,000 and S$300,000, jailed up to four years and given up to six strokes of the cane.

Those found guilty of acting on behalf of an unlicensed moneylender, committing or attempting acts of harassment may get up to five years' jail, a fine between S$5,000 and S$50,000 and three to six strokes of the cane.

Anyone convicted of providing false contact information to obtain loans from loan sharks may be jailed a maximum of 12 months and those guilty of failing to report a change of address may get a maximum S$5,000 fine, up to five years in jail or both.

Those found guilty of instigating a youth to assist in unlicensed moneylending business or carrying out harassment acts on behalf of loan sharks may be jailed up to nine years, fined between S$6,000 and S$300,000 and given a maximum of 12 strokes of the cane.

Fear Less

Reaction score
Bro JL
Thankyou for your active participation.
I hope this thread can be copied and pasted over and over again.

It will help and advise the victims.
Unfortunately there are more silent victims out there that we could not reach.

Many thanks to the brave victims for coming back to say their piece and give advice.
Careers and family life are destroyed by scammers and ls.
While they may be busy picking up the pieces now, I hope they can spare some time here by providing some comforting words.

Originally Posted by*JusticeLeague2018:
Dear all, I just created this account to share my story. I am a new victim of these LOAN SCAMS from just past week. Read through many of the messages here and am *SUPER ANGRY* at how so many have been cheated. For all the victims here, we must stand up and stamp out these scammers and crime.*

So much harassment is made to the victims and stress created to them and family members, colleagues, workplace. Jobs lost, family lost, friends lost. THIS MUST STOP and victims must unite to make Singapore a safe place and reduce the number of victims to ZERO.*

The 2 people I talked to are Chinese Malaysian.*

My story:*

I was promised a loan of 10k for 5 yrs and only need to pay $200 for 60 times. (LIE)

I was asked to send IC, income statement, next of kin contacts for loan approval (DONT EVER DO THIS) [others have been asked for SINGPASS, DON"T EVER DO THIS]

I was told the loan was all legal and can be done online (LIE)

I was told they will make a test transaction to me and I just need to transfer them back before they send me the actual loan amount (LIE)

I was told after the funds transfer to me, then they will send me the Terms and Conditions of the loan (LIE)

I was told that they have a legit company with legit license and got website (LIE) - I later checked and found they gave name of an "expired" company" not on approved LML list

After the test transaction amount transferred to me, they started to harass me for the money, saying I took the loan already and pressured me to transfer by a certain time, if not I will be in trouble. After that they harass 2 of my next of kin with threatening messages. You will get it from your next of kin.*

*** Never even touch any of these people EVER, also stay away from LML if you can. *** These are not money lenders, they are LOAN SCAMMERS. ***

Spoke to Police, Spoke to Credit Association.*

Advice given is:

1. File Report ASAP
2. Do not do any transactions
3. Close bank account ASAP
4. Change all phone numbers
5. Block all their numbers (spare yourself the harassment)
6. Brace yourself for any harassment online or offline
7. Call 999 immediately if there any suspicious people seen near your home or office*
8. Lastly, DO NOT BE AFRAID. (You are not the first victim and will not be the last)

Victims who want to work together to fight this and to share info - PM me. Will pass on as much info so that they can work. This is our Singapore, let us make it SAFE.*

If not, pass info to:

Members of the public are also advised not to work with or assist loan sharks in any way and to call the police at 999 or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect anyone of being involved in illegal loan-sharking activities.*

Crime does NOT PAY. (Pls google these news, I can't post links as am too new)

Case 1: Police warn students against loan shark jobs as 109 people arrested in 3-day blitz
Case 2: 'Auntie' loan shark runner arrested by police

Case 3: 118 arrested for suspected loan shark activities after four-day police operation

First-time offenders found guilty of carrying out or assisting in unlicensed moneylending business may be fined between S$30,000 and S$300,000, jailed up to four years and given up to six strokes of the cane.*

Those found guilty of acting on behalf of an unlicensed moneylender, committing or attempting acts of harassment may get up to five years' jail, a fine between S$5,000 and S$50,000 and three to six strokes of the cane.*

Anyone convicted of providing false contact information to obtain loans from loan sharks may be jailed a maximum of 12 months and those guilty of failing to report a change of address may get a maximum S$5,000 fine, up to five years in jail or both.*

Those found guilty of instigating a youth to assist in unlicensed moneylending business or carrying out harassment acts on behalf of loan sharks may be jailed up to nine years, fined between S$6,000 and S$300,000 and given a maximum of 12 strokes of the cane.

QUOTE=JusticeLeague2018;118351088]Loans sharks charge high interest rates but if you pay off, they can stop bothering you.

Bottom line is if you make a mistake giving them personal details, received money from them, you are in for trouble. How to get out. Read the rest of the advice from the past victims here.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.