Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just came across your message and am really hoping you can help me. My dad is a compulsive liar who hid his credit cards and ah Long debts from us. We only found out after my mum did a credit search on him and spied on his phone. Dad’s phone is constantly ringing cos of all the calls from ah Long. We asked him to repay one ah Long back and all of a sudden, everyone else started to message and call him. Some of them just anyhow claimed he owes more money without providing proof. He even received calls from unknown numbers claiming he owes them money. Please can you advise us what we should do? We are very afraid that his acts will implicate us (his Wife and his kids). If he only provides his NRIC, will this be traced back to his family? Is it really true that the ah longs are unlikely to physically harm him or us?

Read post #8708.
Only applicable to Ah Long and not Legal Money Lender.

Reaction score
By the way when they asked me to clear loan $500 and deposit it to another account which is different from the account when I transferred the $200. What I did is to just transfer it to the same FIRST account given and just sent screenshot to them and said done, they they said the loan never clear. I just ignore and blocked them

File police reports! (you can do it online). If every feel unsafe because any strange or suspicious people visit you, do not hesitate to call 999.

All the info you need are here. PM if clueless.

FIGHT LOAN SCAMS - http://bit.ly/fightloanscams

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
I believe your dad are facing a difficult situation now and needed you and your family support now. Most of us in this thread had been through this. Honestly for the credit card problem, you can go for DRS. It will allows your dad to pay by installment scheme with minimum interest.
Sad to say, for the uml, usually before the loan the applicant need to provide the nok contact and his workplace contact.
My advice is, if your dad had paid more then the initial loan amount he should stop paying. Because the uml will come up with excuses and ask for more. There are steps to be taken in previous post to tell u what u should do.
Do give your loves one support. This is what they needed to most now.

Don't help your dad pay his debt or else he will NVR learn..he will always RMB there a easy way out...that was what happen to me.. family and ex fiancé bailed me out a few times ..then I commit the same mistake after a serveral month..best is don't help compulsive gambler..can give yr dad 10 daily for meals and transport

Mike-2806

Reaction score
Don't help your dad pay his debt or else he will NVR learn..he will always RMB there a easy way out...that was what happen to me.. family and ex fiancé bailed me out a few times ..then I commit the same mistake after a serveral month..best is don't help compulsive gambler..can give yr dad 10 daily for meals and transport
By support, i mean metally support la..not pay his debt..:)

D20203

Reaction score
List of numbers coming up from nowhere:-

Any numbers same as you bro and sis down here, lets share and report

D20203

Reaction score
Both...anything just call Spf...** last time those debt collector shou outside my unit i just called police and they behave like dog Sia..police record their ic too

Legal debt collectors sg police cannot.do anything one

Vickigirl

Reaction score
Hi Vicki.
I am really sorry to hear what you went through. It's never easy for the family members as well. The mistake you guys did was paying 1 of them. They are all under the same 'company'. You pay one they rest will get to know about it too. Best thing to do right now is to persuade your dad to make a police report. I am not too sure if you can make on his behalf but you can try. Cut all contacts with them. Dont engage in any for of communications and lay low. Change your dad's hp number of possible. Have any of the LS ever try to contact any of your family members? If yes block them for their hp too. The LS wont dare to harm you physically but they for sure can harm you mentally and emotionally ONLY if you guys allow it to happen. Now is not the time to play them blaming game. You guys need to be there for each other more than ever. Dont be afraid and be brave to fight against them. I'm sure your mum meant well when she asked your dad to pay this LS but once you start paying the cycle wont stop.

I hope you stay strong and brave ya. I pray that your family will be safe and all this will end soon. Goodluck and keep on fighting! 💪💪

Hi all, thank you so much for your support. You guys have no idea how much this means to me.

To those who asked me to support him emotionally, unfortunately the ship has already sailed on this one. I stupidly helped my dad conceal his cheating on my mum many years ago, but I told my mum last night. Mum is now filing for divorce and we told him he’s no longer our dad cos of all the lies (which have been going on for many years, and it’s not the first time we’ve lent him money).

My dad said he only provided his own IC and office address to the loansharks but not our details (although I don’t fully trust him). My mum is able to cancel his phone line cos it’s under her name, but I’m worried that this will trigger them to show up at our place. I’ve shifted out sometime ago but my mum and my sibling are still there and we are trying to sell the house. We’ve repaid 3 loansharks before I got your advice, but dad says there’s 7 other loansharks waiting for their payment.

What should our next step be? Don’t pay the rest and just cancel the line? Will the loansharks do sth drastic like beat him up etc to make him give them our details? I’m living in fear everyday.... 😔

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now we cannot file yet im afraid i will get repatriated as am foreigner here and send me back home. I did not take any money and cancel the loan as I realised they are scam so i block them right away. Now, i dunno what to do.

Post #8708 is not applicable to you. Police will send you back. Got few cases similar with you as foreigner, you can read the history. Now they don't even come back and post.

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thank you so much for your support. You guys have no idea how much this means to me.

To those who asked me to support him emotionally, unfortunately the ship has already sailed on this one. I stupidly helped my dad conceal his cheating on my mum many years ago, but I told my mum last night. Mum is now filing for divorce and we told him he’s no longer our dad cos of all the lies (which have been going on for many years, and it’s not the first time we’ve lent him money).

My dad said he only provided his own IC and office address to the loansharks but not our details (although I don’t fully trust him). My mum is able to cancel his phone line cos it’s under her name, but I’m worried that this will trigger them to show up at our place. I’ve shifted out sometime ago but my mum and my sibling are still there and we are trying to sell the house. We’ve repaid 3 loansharks before I got your advice, but dad says there’s 7 other loansharks waiting for their payment.

What should our next step be? Don’t pay the rest and just cancel the line? Will the loansharks do sth drastic like beat him up etc to make him give them our details? I’m living in fear everyday.... 😔

Read post #8708.

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dun wan lah then later they run after me

Raw rice already become cooked rice. You take or no take they will run after you. First disturb you, then nok and next company colleagues. SOP, if you bother to read history. The issue is you are not Singaporean. Those method discussed is not applicable to you.

Trustdade

Reaction score
So far mine nv shout lehz. I settling 50/mth lol. If shout at me i can tell them go f o liao. I wont pay. Wan collect back money oso must talk nicely mah tio bo.

Both...anything just call Spf...** last time those debt collector shou outside my unit i just called police and they behave like dog Sia..police record their ic too

Trustdade

Reaction score
Erm have to see case by case la, if local wan maybe got chance will kena whack but see amount of loan oso la. But seldom will happen la. Your family issue we cannot advice musch as we are all outaider here and we do not really know what actually trigger him to borrow from loanshark my guess shuld be gambling bah. Anyway jus go and install camera file a pilice report n keep ur door wide ooen anyone come jus call police they are more scared theb u do. Changing num is a correct move. U sld not have paid all the 10 ah long u own. U pay one all will come after you all to ask for payment. Dun oay be firm tell ur 'dad' too dun pay change num once and for all. Cheers dun worry too much anything share here will see what we can help

Trustdade

Reaction score
But make sure u dun share anything that is sensitive here cause here is open to all the ah long may oso be reading.

Just rmb dun ever go and assit in loansharking activities sure will kena catch wan once kena sure will get canning. So just stay clam. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.