Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natsume1985

Reaction score
For my friend side,

This UML keeps asking to defer only but didn't want to give a plan or so to close the debt, its either 1 shot pay all or keep deferring or else no 2nd option...

Suggested to my friend that since they want it that way, its best to call police and they wont get a single cent back. if she can clear in 1 go, she would already have done so, but if they dun wan their money back, they can keep harassing and so on but then its up to them.

Thinking that they are pretty much stupid, disregarding all the previous deferment that she had already paid and still doesn't want to close but asking for more deferment instead of allowing a plan for her to close the account. and I told her to be reasonable, they can even include the interest in but just no more deferment, but they dun care, they insist defer or pay all.. then I told her, better not pay any, becoz whatever she paid will be paying for nothing, she already paid like 1k for a 800 loan just for deferment. and still they keep coming back for more deferment, I told her no way to agree to that, and if they want to threaten, just report police.

dumb ppl who doesn't know how to do their business I guess? so now they wont be getting a cent, even though she wanted to settle her debts in a peaceful manner, looks like some ppl are just dumb.

Adt007

Reaction score
For my friend side,

This UML keeps asking to defer only but didn't want to give a plan or so to close the debt, deferment. and still they keep coming back for more deferment, I told her no way to agree to that, and if they want to threaten, just report police.

dumb ppl who doesn't know how to do their business I guess? so now they wont be getting a cent, even though she wanted to settle her debts in a peaceful manner, looks like some ppl are just dumb.

I think you are the one being dumb

You dont know how things works

1) this is how the UML works. they squeeze you every single cent base on your fear and embarassment. You think they care about getting back $1000 for a $800 loan ? thats pathethic $200. No they want is to get back $10,000 for a $800 loan.

2) you think so simple ask your friend report police thats all ? Let me tell you, report to police is TOTOALLY USELESS What you think the police can do ? Give your friend 24 hours protection ? Stand guard outside her house 24 hours ? Go and arrest the UML ?

:s13::s13::s13: x1000

Natsume1985

Reaction score
I think you are the one being dumb

You dont know how things works

1) this is how the UML works. they squeeze you every single cent base on your fear and embarassment. You think they care about getting back $1000 for a $800 loan ? thats pathethic $200. No they want is to get back $10,000 for a $800 loan.

2) you think so simple ask your friend report police thats all ? Let me tell you, report to police is TOTOALLY USELESS What you think the police can do ? Give your friend 24 hours protection ? Stand guard outside her house 24 hours ? Go and arrest the UML ?

:s13::s13::s13: x1000

So your suggestion is to let them squeeze u until u paid 10k for a $800 loan? and cannot ever report police, becoz they are totally useless?

Give something more constructive than to tell me its useless or whatever, I'm seeking advise based on others past experiences to see what can b done to further help a friend, if report police dun work, what will?

its not like I dunno how UML work, squeezing money out of ppl based of fear or whatever, based on your reply, are u implying to let them squeeze? if you can give me the money I dun mind letting my friend to keep paying them though.

Defer doesn't work, if they want defer then I would not suggest paying a single cent is what I told my friend, first its either they want to get back their money and make a compromise or nothing at all. if they want to stubbornly threaten or do whatever they want to do to get that deferment plans to work, then reporting police is the only option, becoz unless u can give me their address and office address (I would go burn them myself) or the other option is to have police to investigate the matter. no, I dun think the police will be providing 24/7 protection or whatever, but at least if enough time is given and if the UML are so notorious enough to do all those threats and fulfill it, then at least police can somehow get them.

I mentioned that they are dumb, because if their motive to get more money, which they already did, and the total interests they had collected from my friend alone is around 1000 out of the 800 already, and for this deferment to continue on, its just ridiculous.. so now its either instalment in which they can earn 200 more to pay this off or no money, becoz cannot defer anymore. further continuing the deferment will be reaching 1000% of interest or whatever. So its either that instalment or nothing, they can choose themselves to blow the matter where both side die together, or settle peacefully and let the instalment plan work instead of the deferment plan. they already be collecting 2000 out of a 800 loan.

So if they dun wan their money, then let them be and blow matters up. they choose their own path out. And if they wan the money, then make a compromise, and things get settled peacefully. or report police, let police handle and they also wont get a single cent back.

I think the dumb one will be you, because you are implying to continue to let them do whatever they want to you/friends/family, and that reporting police is useless. you are suggesting to do whatever they say, and let them be and continue their way onto you and/or anyone else who is in the same predicament.

As much as my friend want to settle this as peacefully as possible, and also within her own means and capacity, I think somewhere along that line there can be a little compromise since she showing them that she is still sincere to pay them back and wants to settle things as peacefully as possible. and if they fail to understand that, and forcing her to a corner.. and when ppl get desperate, you nvr know what will happen...

And YOU are not helping in any situation based on your reply.
if you think you are smarter and know better than all of us here, the police, the UML, then show it and share it. If not, then shut it.

Adt007

Reaction score
I think the dumb one will be you, because you are implying to continue to let them do whatever they want to you/friends/family, and that reporting police is useless. you are suggesting to do whatever they say, and let them be and continue their way onto you and/or anyone else who is in the same predicament.

As much as my friend want to settle this as peacefully as possible, and also within her own means and capacity, I think somewhere along that line there can be a little compromise since she showing them that she is still sincere to pay them back and wants to settle things as peacefully as possible. and if they fail to understand that, and forcing her to a corner.. and when ppl get desperate, you nvr know what will happen...

And YOU are not helping in any situation based on your reply.
if you think you are smarter and know better than all of us here, the police, the UML, then show it and share it. If not, then shut it.

Do read up my past posts in this thread

I NEVER say to let them continue to squeeze you. LMAO !

And if you think you can compromise and settle peacefully with UML, pls carry on dreaming.

There is only one future. PREPARE to get harass. Prepare for ppl to come knocking on the door, splash paint, target neighbour.

Call police no use.

The ONLY way out, which is a bit unethical, is to sell the house and move out.
(Which i did)

Tell your friend to stop paying them and be prepared for the worst. No use calling police, no use negotiating with UML. And dont ever borow from one UML to pay back another UML.

Give something more constructive than to tell me its useless or whatever, I'm seeking advise based on others past experiences to see what can b done to further help a friend, if report police dun work, what will?

Tell your friend to stop paying them and be prepared for the worst. No use calling police, no use negotiating with UML. And dont ever borow from one UML to pay back another UML.

What i did when things get out of hand :

1) Write letters to every unit in the block, say i lost my IC and someone use it to borrow ah long. Keep vigilant and report any suspicious people to the police.

2) Install CCTV (about $400). Not much help, they still come up splash paint anyway.

3) Prepare cans of thinner and clothes. To wash off the paint.

4) Get the town council phone number and call them if there are any writings on the walls. The town council will get rid of them FOC.

Maybe you have to "tahan" for the fiirst few weeks or months. And when they realised they not gonna get any single cent from you, maybe they will stop. But as long as you are staying at that place, who knows when they will harass you next. So the only way out is to move out.

Last edited:

Adt007

Reaction score
One classic example of a naive debtor who thinks he can compromise with the UML

Naive debtor : Eh... look i already pay you $1000 already. You already earn $200 from me. We are good ok ?

Ah Long : huh ? The $200 no count, you have to pay another 4 more weeks of $200

Naive debtor : Wah lau dont like that lah, ok i pay u another $200 ok ? You good i good

Ah Long : Haha .... NO !

Naive debtor : If no then i call police and you wont even get a single cent from me !!!

Ah Long : Wahahahahahaha ...... ok. you call lor. tomorrow i dont see the $200 i send ppl up to your house !

Naive debtor : ok how about this, one short settle all $400 ?

Ah Long : Hmmm... ok $400 tonight then we good.

Naive debtor : swee, u steady i steady

Naive debtor transferred $400

One week later, naive debtor receive phone call from ah long

Ah Long : eh, where my $200 ?

Naive debtor : what ? i thought we last week settle all liao ?

Ah Long : settle your head lah, last week is for the interest only. today u must pay $200.

Naive debtor : i call police

Ah long : woooooo... ok.. i very scare... urine in pants liao.

:D:D:D

mbt2015

Reaction score
Sidetrack a bit. Can a person borrow from loan shark using his passport or driving license? I wonder whether confiscating a person's IC is good enough to stop him from borrowing from a loan shark.

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sidetrack a bit. Can a person borrow from loan shark using his passport or driving license? I wonder whether confiscating a person's IC is good enough to stop him from borrowing from a loan shark.
Need to have the address so that they will know where to go and throw paint or set fire.

mbt2015

Reaction score
Need to have the address so that they will know where to go and throw paint or set fire.

What stop the Ah long from getting his address verbally or see his IC photocopy? Anyone had advice what can be done to stop someone from loaning from Ah Long?

I am trying to prevent someone's house from gonna throw paint or set fire. He also explored all money sources and Ah Long is next.

Adt007

Reaction score

No. Nowadays UML see your singpass. IC alone also not enough.

With singpass, they can access into HDB , CPF, NS Portal websites where they can see all your particulars and also NOK

Adt007

Reaction score
Anyone had advice what can be done to stop someone from loaning from Ah Long?

Hmmm... quite difficult.

Take away his bank account ? But then he may ask the ah long to transfer to his friend account.

Take away his Singpass ? This may be more effective. Without Singpass, most ah long wont lend.

mbt2015

Reaction score
Take away his Singpass ? This may be more effective. Without Singpass, most ah long wont lend.

I may have to resort to this. He has no sign of turning back. I suppose this is the last life line that I can hold him on.

I appreciate all advice given.

Adt007

Reaction score
I may have to resort to this. He has no sign of turning back. I suppose this is the last life line that I can hold him on.

I appreciate all advice given.

I dont know if there are any old fashion ah long who still go via the physical verifying of IC. But dont think so ..... using Singpass is the easiest and fastest and confirm way of verification. So ya, take away his Singpass password or OTP.

Also if he is working, you need to go to https://www.moneylenders.sg/public-protection.php and apply for a DNL (Do Not Lend) for your friend in case he go and approach those licensed money lender

Even though you have taken measures to prevent him from lending from those UML or ML, when a man is desperate for money, he will find many ways to get "fast cash".

Example :

Signing of telco lines and then get the subsides phones and sell them away.

Applying credit cards and temporary increase credit limits.

Pawn his jewellery, rolex, sell his iphone X

Borrow from friends and relatives

Involved in illegal activities

Scam online strangers

**Writing from experience. Been there, done that.**

mbt2015

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I will have to do that.

He already tried cash line (not once), steal valuables, borrow from friends, misappropriate company fund...He is doing more darling things by the day. Ah Long is the easiest compare to some of those he has not done in your list. So I am more worried about UML.

Adt007

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I will have to do that.

He already tried cash line (not once), steal valuables, borrow from friends, misappropriate company fund...He is doing more darling things by the day. Ah Long is the easiest compare to some of those he has not done in your list. So I am more worried about UML.

The only way for you to help him is to find the root and destroy it.

It is either gambling or girl or both.

Good luck.

mbt2015

Reaction score
Gambling.

Destroying the addict is an up-hill task. Only his will can do it. For now, I can only control his finance and stop him from going down further.

Adt007

Reaction score
Gambling.

Destroying the addict is an up-hill task. Only his will can do it. For now, I can only control his finance and stop him from going down further.

you can control his finance ? wow you are either his son or father or wife ?

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
I setup this thread regarding Loanshark harassment. I, myself is not a debtor however to be frank someone in my family does.

I hope to gather more users and people to voice out. The Police are doing a lot to curb this problem. However we must face the fact that this problem had been there for decades. Have faith and trust in our system. It is very hard to eliminate the network, nevertheless if every citizen does their part in cooperating; it is must easier to get to the network.

This is how you can help. If any of your family members owe loan shark money, tell them not to pay up a single cent. Tell them to call the Police Hotline number 1800 225 0000 to transfer you to the relevant department. In which there is a specific department in the West that handle Loan Shark Cases.

In the event that you are the debtor, please refrain from helping the loanshark or fall into their trap to help them in their illegal activities. They will ask you for personal details. E.g. Singpass, ATM card or even ask you to help them distribute brochures or transfer money.

Don’t fall prey to become a target by the loanshark syndicate. In the event that you can’t make payment they will ask you to work for them to pay off your debts. Don’t do it. Owing money doesn’t resort in a death penalty, jail sentence or caning. However if you are debtors turn assistors, the punishment is very severe. You, yourself will in turn from a victim become a criminal.

Under the Moneylenders Act 2010 (Revised Edition), first-time offenders found guilty of carrying on the business as an unlicensed moneylender or assisting in the business of unlicensed moneylending may be fined not less than $30,000 and not more $300,000, be imprisoned for a term not exceeding four years and shall also be liable to be punished with caning not more than six strokes. First time offender found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to 5 years, a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000, and shall also be liable to caning of not less than 3 and not more than 6 strokes.

You have heard of the saying, 明知道老虎会咬人,你还一直喂他,那就是自寻死路。
If you are a debtor, please don’t blame yourself for what happen. If you are not desperate, you won’t be borrowing from them. Seek your family understanding. Sometime you would feel helpless, you are loss, you always trying to source money to meet payment, the pain and psychological torture is unbearable. But please face the fact; this is never the end of life.

Don’t pay them; it is not against the law not to pay them. They will threaten to report on you and use a lot of threatening message to make you pay or work for them. But come to think of it, when did they show up to receive the payment in person. It is always through Bank Transfer. Ask yourself why.

Learn to understand the situation you are in, accept it. And be true to your family about the money lending matter. Call NPCG for counselling in the event that your family members don’t understand.

The methodology that they used is always to instill fear in their victims. And from the news you would know that many loan shark always are so notorious. But come to think of it, who are the one that are being used by them. Who are the one that are doing the dirty job? The debtors are always the one.
Ask yourself a question, why does the Police always so reactive towards the loan shark? It is because the loan sharks are always under the veil. They used the debtors as smoke screen.

What will happen in the event you don’t pay up?
They will spray paint at your house, disturb your neighbor, disgrace you, humiliate you and shame you. These are the tactics that they used. So how bad can this be? Do you want your life back again? Or do you want to live in a lifetime full of fear. I will be very honest with you. My father had been feeding the tiger for years and finally now, he decide to heel the Police advice and stop paying and cooperate with them.

You are not the only one suffering if you continue to pay. Think about your family for the long term. Do you want them to suffer with you for 10 year, 20 years, worrying about money? Think about it. Do you want to be partner in crime? Or do you want a lifelong happiness with your family. If you really care for your family members, you should know the right thing to do. If you are scares you can always post on the forum or talk to someone regarding the case.

I believe if we unite as one, we can accomplish more. If you are young, bold, adventurous, please feel free to voice out. We can always spend some time to help one another. We can help family by family if we have more manpower. The debtors need people to talk to. The family members need assurance and comfort. We don’t blame other for not helping us, if we are not helping ourselves. We don’t need to resort to violence; we want to build a peaceful community for everyone to live in.

And again, I need more people and more support to discuss matter and also plan to help other out.

Thank you for your time in reading this.
I own 10 ah longs...they threaten by sending videos and poster to me and my neighbour..haven kena splash paint or burn flat ..they now send your pic to social media and yr company i thinking of dying as a quick way out..I cannot cope with the stress anymore

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I own 10 ah longs...they threaten by sending videos and poster to me and my neighbour..haven kena splash paint or burn flat ..they now send your pic to social media and yr company i thinking of dying as a quick way out..I cannot cope with the stress anymore
How did u end up like this?

Adt007

Reaction score
How did u end up like this?

His case is very common. Begining he owe one ah long.... then after a few weeks, a different number message him offer him new loan. (In fact the different number is just another "stall" under one syndicate) So he take up a second loan to repay first. And then the thrid to pay off the second and so on.

So now owe 10 ah long. I last time also owe about 10. So cannot pay one, that ah long came up splash paint , might as well dont pay all of them. So for the first few months must clean the paint off my door for about 4-8 times a month.

Finally sold off the house and they cannot find me anymore.

Adt007

Reaction score

dying is not the way out. they will still go after your family.

moving out is the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.