Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharuu

Reaction score
Hi sir, i just did close my acc today. Thank you for ur advise. But the 2nd loan which they just trf to me without my knowledge, should i stop it?

If you closed your account after they transferred it, the bank would have handed the money to you in cash. If you closed it before the transfer, the monies will be out of the sender's account, but it obviously won't go into yours, since you closed it. I think it will take the bank about 2 working days to credit it back to the sender's account.

Sharuu

Reaction score
Can u share how this SALC mean business and settle for you ? What actions did they take ? (They call the UML and threaten them ?)

I heard that they call and use the same MO that the ah longs use. There is no guarantee that you or your family and work place will not still be harassed. Also, I understand that they are a business entity... ;)

It's like getting fire insurance before you go traveling. You're paying for some form of peace of mind but the problem doesn't go away.

But no harm trying.

Last edited:

Sharuu

Reaction score
??? They threathen to go splash paint and burn the door of the UML office ? :s13::s13:

No la, I think they just yell and scream and scold each other's mothers on the phone also. And I think got some element of harassment where they non stop call? I'm not sure, you need to clarify with the advertiser below. Lol.

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
Quick update.they send flyers to my neighbours..haiz..must endure the shame by them..no point paying them now..already kena shame till like that

Sharuu

Reaction score
Quick update.they send flyers to my neighbours..haiz..must endure the shame by them..no point paying them now..already kena shame till like that

Stop paying! Have you spoken to your neighbours? What did the note say? If anything, they would be the best people to chat to about suspicious characters.

Also, I recently went to a Town Council meeting even though my ah longs haven't done anything to me yet (touch wood). I was told there are around 50k debtors in Singapore and thousands of unlicensed money lenders. Statistically, that's about 50 debtors to one UML, so that should give you an idea of the debtor turnover rate. I gathered that the possibility of them terrorizing a debtor has a lot to do with amount owed, and the debtor's likelihood of borrowing again. Because it means that the debtor has cash flow/gambling problem. Otherwise, their attacks appear to be arbitrary in nature. So IN THEORY, without doing anything illegal, people can actually borrow a reasonable sum of money (between 2-4k) with absolutely no recourse to the UML if it is defaulted. And it won't make economical sense for the UML to spend money to harass you if you defaulted on a loan of that amount. IN THEORY, if more people borrowed that amount of money from UMLs and defaulted, we could actually take down that arm of their network. Because life is a Die Hard franchise...

Having said that, I just installed a camera outside my house. You want contact details?

P.S. Obviously, I'm not encouraging people to involve themselves with UML. I like to think people who come to this website are capable of high level thinking even if we were silly enough to borrow from loansharks.

Last edited:

kittymeow12

Reaction score
Hello! First of all, my advice to you is STOP PAYING THEM. The loan will never end. That's the point of this scam. The moment you accede to their demands, that's where they get you. Secondly, they won't come to your office. They know better. Based on what you have told me, and if you haven't said anything to cause them anger, you're most likely not worth them paying anyone to go anywhere to harass you. The most they will do is send you videos of their runners setting fires to some poor chap's house or other such scary videos (which I have been receiving but have yet to open because my heart is too small...)

Secondly, close your bank account immediately and report it to the police. If your bank account is still lying around and making transactions to them, you're most likely interfering with current police investigations and you might be implicated, as I was recently enlightened by a very angry IO at the police station.

Thirdly, lie low and ignore/block their calls and messages. I wish you all the best. Please PM me if you need more assurances.

Hi Sharuuu, I need help :(

kittymeow12

Reaction score
Hi all, I need help. I didnt know I was dealing with UML. At first, I was enquiring on the interest rates and the prepayment like. The UML told me to provide my details so he could check on my eligibility. After I gave him all the details, I find that it was fishy so I decided to back out and inform him I don't need the loan anymore. He got angry and forced me to take up the loan. $250 banked into my account and he expects $500 back within a week. The due date is in 2 days time. I need advise please!!

Nas1978

Reaction score
Hi all, I need help. I didnt know I was dealing with UML. At first, I was enquiring on the interest rates and the prepayment like. The UML told me to provide my details so he could check on my eligibility. After I gave him all the details, I find that it was fishy so I decided to back out and inform him I don't need the loan anymore. He got angry and forced me to take up the loan. $250 banked into my account and he expects $500 back within a week. The due date is in 2 days time. I need advise please!!

Happen to me. Dun use the money. Quickly go to the police and make a report. And get help from Anti-Loanshark Association.

Close ur bank acct quickly.

Last edited:

Sharuu

Reaction score
Can somebody PM me desperately need help

Take the money, close your bank account and report police immediately. Then either block the number or change your mobile number completely.

250$ is laughable amount. Don't worry. Go belanja your colleagues drinks.

All the very best.

Nas1978

Reaction score
i closed my acc, make a police report and get help from singapore Anti-Loansharks. You can contact via FB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.