Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info

green72

Reaction score
Did some research recently and apparently some websites do sell residential listings

Seems more such sites popping up. I did made SPF report, PDPA complain to the authorities last year with relation to the misuse of such personal information.

Confirm such business transaction will leave some form of digital trail to trace.

Need community help to bring down these sites if the authorities have not been looking into it already.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just a update to my case. Been only harrassment calls, text via phone call and whatsapp and few days ago, a few neighbors came to my house saying they receive harrassment calls asking me to pay money if not they will burn their house and splash as well.

Tough period..

Also just to add on its not about how much u owe if u ask me. U can't delay the inevitable. Just move on...

File reports asap. Add on to the records.

Will they splash? There is no way we can tell. Will your innocent neighbors get splashed? There is no way we can tell also except both the above has happened before.

The bottom line is bear with it, DO NOT PAY! Once they can't get anything from you, they will move on. As for neighbors, I know it's embarrassing but just tell them you are scammed and leave it at that, they are generally understanding.

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
File reports asap. Add on to the records.

Will they splash? There is no way we can tell. Will your innocent neighbors get splashed? There is no way we can tell also except both the above has happened before.

The bottom line is bear with it, DO NOT PAY! Once they can't get anything from you, they will move on. As for neighbors, I know it's embarrassing but just tell them you are scammed and leave it at that, they are generally understanding.

Yes have done the necessary. To all newbie or whom are considering taking loan from UML, DO NOT EVEN REPLY TO THEIR ADVERTISEMENTS, BLOCK & REPORT. trust me and everybody who has been through here. HELL awaits if u take the first step by even sending in a enquiry for a loan.

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
someone help. what do i do with my dad. i have changed everything for him, from his phone number to bank accounts. and he still contacted the money lender with his new number, thinking that if he talked nicely with them he will be able to get back the money he gave. he still have this mindset that a peaceful discussion with them will work. i then took away his devices to prevent him from doing anything, but he can still sneak around and use it!?!? how do i stop him?? or how do i change his mindset??

counselling is probably the last resort because he has actually been through counselling and he’s too stubborn he won’t go for it.

Hi. Have u made a police report yet? If no please do it immediately, install cctv and brace for the worse. You need to somehow find a way to prevent your dad from paying them, as they will SCAM him into paying more. There's no such thing as a peaceful negotiation with the UML/loan scammers.

For now i can only think of these if im in your situation. keeping or canceling all his bank account, ATM/debit/credit card and etc, while only giving him enough allowance for daily use. You can't stop him from calling them that's for sure as you can't be following him 24/7, and i believed u have did your best of telling him the consequences of his actions should he continue.

If counseling doesn't work, please tell your dad if he don't want to wake up and start to change, not only he is putting all of you and possibly your neighbours in a series of nightmare/trouble/harrassment/embarrassment that can last for weeks and months, he is also going against the law by continuing to pay the UML and indirectly helping and funding their illegal activities.

Last edited:

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
yes i have made a police report but have not installed cctv yet.

and yes i have told him everything you suggested, including putting out whole fam in danger and involving himself in illegal ****, but i can’t seem to get it in his brain.

also, im currently keeping his phone and laptop and bc of covid, he is actually at home 24/7. but im afraid when he gets back to work and i need to pass him everything back, he will go back to his damned old ways.

Just cancel his bank accounts and all the associated cards. That's what u can do for now.

green72

Reaction score
jk5813, on top the suggestion to cancel his bank account, you can also install call blocker app on his hp without him realising. Delete the UML number he saved in his call list. Add that number in the app black list. Disable or remove whatsapp app from his hp. Also disable sms function if possible. All this to prevent the UML from contacting him or him contacting them. Not sure how tech savvy your dad is. I used Call Blocker by Vlad Lee. Can find in Google store.

Hope this can stop him contacting them.

Good luck.

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
jk5813, on top the suggestion to cancel his bank account, you can also install call blocker app on his hp without him realising. Delete the UML number he saved in his call list. Add that number in the app black list. Disable or remove whatsapp app from his hp. Also disable sms function if possible. All this to prevent the UML from contacting him or him contacting them. Not sure how tech savvy your dad is. I used Call Blocker by Vlad Lee. Can find in Google store.

Hope this can stop him contacting them.

Good luck.
Good suggestion bro. Another very good app which im using is Truecaller which is foc as well

Plcamera

Reaction score
Hi, I am new in this forums, need advise in UML, not going to said the whole story, we had follow all method mention in here, first day after we repro to SPF they send runners to my home, we report SPF. Quiet for few weeks then they called my neighbours then we report SPF. Quiet for 2 months, today received 5 letters from LML, collecting loan but loan date between ** period,
have anyone this encounter this situation?
What is the step we need to do?

really appreciate for any advise

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I am new in this forums, need advise in UML, not going to said the whole story, we had follow all method mention in here, first day after we repro to SPF they send runners to my home, we report SPF. Quiet for few weeks then they called my neighbours then we report SPF. Quiet for 2 months, today received 5 letters from LML, collecting loan but loan date between ** period,
have anyone this encounter this situation?
What is the step we need to do?

really appreciate for any advise

Debt collector demand letter on behalf of LML?
Did u or any of your household take up loan from LML at the first place?

Last edited:

Plcamera

Reaction score
Debt collector demand letter on behalf of LML?
Did u or any of your household take up loan from LML at the first place?

Yes there was. However, it was the UML who asked one of my fam member to do so and being Gullible and scared, borrowed from LML to pay UML.

Do we pay up the LML? do we report to IO?

Reaction score
Yes there was. However, it was the UML who asked one of my fam member to do so and being Gullible and scared, borrowed from LML to pay UML.

Do we pay up the LML? do we report to IO?

Of course U have to pay up the LML. They are legal. They have the rights to sent you the letter of demand/ legal letters and even sue u into bankruptcy if u default payments.. they have the right to engage debt collector to get money from u at the door step. you cant run away from it. Report police? They are legal.. nothing to report.

Last edited:

Plcamera

Reaction score
Of course U have to pay up the LML. They are legal. They have the rights to sent you the letter of demand/ legal letters and even sue u into bankruptcy if u default payments.. they have the right to engage debt collector to get money from u at the door step. you cant run away from it. Report police? They are legal.. nothing to report.

Thanks for the info, even was instruct by UML, no need to let IO know about this? This period of time don’t have that much to pay..

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, even was instruct by UML, no need to let IO know about this? This period of time don’t have that much to pay..

You can inform the IO but because they are legal you are obligated to pay them back. I believe you can negotiate with them installments plan to pay them back. They just want their money back so i believe as long u are willing to pay they won't reject your offer.

As for sueing u for bankruptcy that is less likely to happen unless your loaned amount is more than $15,000 (increased to $60,000 during covid 19 period until 19 Oct 2020)
https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/filing-for-bankruptcy-singapore/#:~:text=A%20debtor%20can%20voluntarily%20file,due%20to%20COVID-19).

And if they happen to harrass you in a intimidating way when they send debt collectors up or through phone calls or if you feel threatened do call the police immediately as they are not allow by law to do that. By doing so they are risking suspension of their license.

Last edited:

Plcamera

Reaction score
thgfrdsi0512, Thanks you, this forum help me a lot, appreciate every info.. will Call LML tomorrow to negotiate for installment. Hope everything work it out..

thgfrdsi0512

Reaction score
thgfrdsi0512, Thanks you, this forum help me a lot, appreciate every info.. will Call LML tomorrow to negotiate for installment. Hope everything work it out..
You're welcome. They might sound fierce when you call them and don't be afraid of them.

bigbird91

Reaction score
Hi guys, need advice. UML transferred $300 to my bank to “ make sure I got good repayment history” , even I didn’t want it anymore, requested me to pay $600 after 7 days. I realised it was a scam and made police report, didn’t transfer the money. after I blocked off their numbers, they texted me with threats, today they send a pic of my lift lobby and my unit. Should I call the bank and transfer the money back? I read in some cases, the person who took the pics is also another person who owe UML.

Laofuzi67

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys, need advice. UML transferred $300 to my bank to “ make sure I got good repayment history” , even I didn’t want it anymore, requested me to pay $600 after 7 days. I realised it was a scam and made police report, didn’t transfer the money. after I blocked off their numbers, they texted me with threats, today they send a pic of my lift lobby and my unit. Should I call the bank and transfer the money back? I read in some cases, the person who took the pics is also another person who owe UML.

Keep the money in case you need to repaint your door.
You must be their ex customer la else why they tt you and not to me?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.