HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it - Part 2

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #2236

I also never change my homeline but mine is the old analog line not the current digital one that many household uses.

I subscribe to Caller-ID and Call Divert service to my hp after 3 rings. Once diverted to my hp, my call blocking app will either block or accept the call based on my contact list. Those not familiar numbers will get a hang up dial tone.

For my mailbox, I can lock the slot so only Singpost can put letters.
My mailbox is the kind that only Singpost delivery staff may access from the room but previously the UML had decided to waste their money by posting (stamps and all) so many (and I mean a whole lot of letters per household! A few of my neighbours showed to me but they were very understanding of the situation).

I will look into the call divert though. Because I do have caller ID but it gets annoying when the phone keeps ringing.
cmt2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #2237

Can I ask is it also phone scam? And just for phone scams they sent photos to your neighbours?
Unfortunately no, I did get involved with a UML. I had initially thought they were licensed but it was a bad decision made on my part.

From what I'd gone through, other than ghosting their calls/ignoring their threats, and making the necessary reports to SPF, it's best to explain to your neighbours about your situation also so they may help to look out for runners (do install a CCTV - it really helps).
Old 26-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #2238

Unfortunately no, I did get involved with a UML. I had initially thought they were licensed but it was a bad decision made on my part.

From what I'd gone through, other than ghosting their calls/ignoring their threats, and making the necessary reports to SPF, it's best to explain to your neighbours about your situation also so they may help to look out for runners (do install a CCTV - it really helps).
Sorry to hear that. I hope yours will be solved soon. I shared this case finally with someone not within the family.

He unfortunately was involved though the dad was the one who loan ums Abt 10-15 years ago. It rolled and rolled till over 2-300k. One day the dad nvr came home (suicide) and he was left to fend to pay off all the debts. But it can nvr be paid.

Finally ghosted. And last time the runners really more fierce unlike now. Speaking to him he gave me an assurance that life can be normal again.

Iím sure it will be for you too
happydonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #2239

Sorry to hear that. I hope yours will be solved soon. I shared this case finally with someone not within the family.

He unfortunately was involved though the dad was the one who loan ums Abt 10-15 years ago. It rolled and rolled till over 2-300k. One day the dad nvr came home (suicide) and he was left to fend to pay off all the debts. But it can nvr be paid.

Finally ghosted. And last time the runners really more fierce unlike now. Speaking to him he gave me an assurance that life can be normal again.

Iím sure it will be for you too
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend that you mentioned. But yes he's right - the harrassments by runners these days aren't comparable to the ones from older days. It's mostly just threats and phone calls/sending love letters or if they feel like wasting their money by sending runners to harrass the homes.

I've been through this before, and while it's stressful it will come to a day when they'll get sick of harrassing me and stop. This goes to everyone else going through the same situation as me on this thread - be vigilant and if you've done the necessary steps mentioned countless times here (do read through this whole thread, the info shared here was what gave me the strength to face this issue), just know that these scammers/UML runners can never harm you physically. Always inform the SPF if you oy notice anyone suspicious loitering around your home and just know this ordeal will pass so be strong.
Old 26-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #2240

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend that you mentioned. But yes he's right - the harrassments by runners these days aren't comparable to the ones from older days. It's mostly just threats and phone calls/sending love letters or if they feel like wasting their money by sending runners to harrass the homes.

I've been through this before, and while it's stressful it will come to a day when they'll get sick of harrassing me and stop. This goes to everyone else going through the same situation as me on this thread - be vigilant and if you've done the necessary steps mentioned countless times here (do read through this whole thread, the info shared here was what gave me the strength to face this issue), just know that these scammers/UML runners can never harm you physically. Always inform the SPF if you oy notice anyone suspicious loitering around your home and just know this ordeal will pass so be strong.
Yes thank you. Staying vigilant. My fight just started. The harassment is for a day. But I know more will come after CB is over.
Old 26-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #2241

happydonkey, believe us when we say what you are experiencing, we have gone through it.

Sleepless nights for days during initial harassment. Posting my fears from 1-4am here during that time almost daily in the toilet for advise and to maintain my sanity. Worried sick for my family like you.

But things change after I did the necessary steps.It's normal to react the way you did.

The trick is to quickly snap out of it. Mine happened when my son got pissed with my super scared behaviour and told me off that these UML only getting under my skin. Empty threats. Get a grip of my life.

Yes, they may send runners soon. Just act accordingly if those clown do harass.

If they lock your gate, they won't hang around, they run after locking. On your part, call 999 and police will help break lock.

If splash paint on door. Buy paint remover and repaint your door. If walls around it got splash, call town council to repaint those walls for free. Don't forget to call 999.

You see, stop being tense (easier said than done). Just like clockwork prepare a list of what to do after the harassment. It will keep your mind focus.

I even bought a large fire extinguisher, a wearable alarm to scare intruder and 1 more cctv to prepare myself. Even thought of getting metal baseball bat, diy chilli spray and many more but realise I can get into trouble with the law if I hurt the runners. Best is to help new victims here.

Don't let UML instill fear in you, block them. It will soon return to normal. Good luck.

Last edited by green72; 26-05-2020 at 12:20 PM..
green72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #2242

As of now are just phone calls.
Hello... i got the exact same **** as you... best part, they even profited from me and still wanna kajiao. I reported the case to police and was tagged to one IO.
Anyway, Did they continue to harrass you? What did they send to ur NOK?
hopingandhoping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #2243

I setup this thread regarding Loanshark harassment. I, myself is not a debtor however to be frank someone in my family does.

I hope to gather more users and people to voice out. The Police are doing a lot to curb this problem. However we must face the fact that this problem had been there for decades. Have faith and trust in our system. It is very hard to eliminate the network, nevertheless if every citizen does their part in cooperating; it is must easier to get to the network.

This is how you can help. If any of your family members owe loan shark money, tell them not to pay up a single cent. Tell them to call the Police Hotline number 1800 225 0000 to transfer you to the relevant department. In which there is a specific department in the West that handle Loan Shark Cases.

In the event that you are the debtor, please refrain from helping the loanshark or fall into their trap to help them in their illegal activities. They will ask you for personal details. E.g. Singpass, ATM card or even ask you to help them distribute brochures or transfer money.

Donít fall prey to become a target by the loanshark syndicate. In the event that you canít make payment they will ask you to work for them to pay off your debts. Donít do it. Owing money doesnít resort in a death penalty, jail sentence or caning. However if you are debtors turn assistors, the punishment is very severe. You, yourself will in turn from a victim become a criminal.

Under the Moneylenders Act 2010 (Revised Edition), first-time offenders found guilty of carrying on the business as an unlicensed moneylender or assisting in the business of unlicensed moneylending may be fined not less than $30,000 and not more $300,000, be imprisoned for a term not exceeding four years and shall also be liable to be punished with caning not more than six strokes. First time offender found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to 5 years, a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000, and shall also be liable to caning of not less than 3 and not more than 6 strokes.

You have heard of the saying, 明知道老虎会咬人,你还一直喂他,那就是自寻死路。
If you are a debtor, please donít blame yourself for what happen. If you are not desperate, you wonít be borrowing from them. Seek your family understanding. Sometime you would feel helpless, you are loss, you always trying to source money to meet payment, the pain and psychological torture is unbearable. But please face the fact; this is never the end of life.

Donít pay them; it is not against the law not to pay them. They will threaten to report on you and use a lot of threatening message to make you pay or work for them. But come to think of it, when did they show up to receive the payment in person. It is always through Bank Transfer. Ask yourself why.

Learn to understand the situation you are in, accept it. And be true to your family about the money lending matter. Call NPCG for counselling in the event that your family members donít understand.

The methodology that they used is always to instill fear in their victims. And from the news you would know that many loan shark always are so notorious. But come to think of it, who are the one that are being used by them. Who are the one that are doing the dirty job? The debtors are always the one.
Ask yourself a question, why does the Police always so reactive towards the loan shark? It is because the loan sharks are always under the veil. They used the debtors as smoke screen.

What will happen in the event you donít pay up?
They will spray paint at your house, disturb your neighbor, disgrace you, humiliate you and shame you. These are the tactics that they used. So how bad can this be? Do you want your life back again? Or do you want to live in a lifetime full of fear. I will be very honest with you. My father had been feeding the tiger for years and finally now, he decide to heel the Police advice and stop paying and cooperate with them.

You are not the only one suffering if you continue to pay. Think about your family for the long term. Do you want them to suffer with you for 10 year, 20 years, worrying about money? Think about it. Do you want to be partner in crime? Or do you want a lifelong happiness with your family. If you really care for your family members, you should know the right thing to do. If you are scares you can always post on the forum or talk to someone regarding the case.

I believe if we unite as one, we can accomplish more. If you are young, bold, adventurous, please feel free to voice out. We can always spend some time to help one another. We can help family by family if we have more manpower. The debtors need people to talk to. The family members need assurance and comfort. We donít blame other for not helping us, if we are not helping ourselves. We donít need to resort to violence; we want to build a peaceful community for everyone to live in.

And again, I need more people and more support to discuss matter and also plan to help other out.

Thank you for your time in reading this.
Yesterday at 0815 i received a bank transfer into my account for $200, and then i used the money as i jus assumed that it was my weekly pay that i got but a few hours later i recevied a whatsapp message saying this
FIRST PAYMENT DON'T LATE .!
*LOAN AMOUNT : 300
*CLEAR AMOUNT : 450
*DEFERMENT : 150
*DATE DUE : 30/05
*PAYMENT EVERY : 5days
*PAYMENT BEFORE : 6PM
FIRST PAYMENT CAN'T NOT CLEAR.!
INFORM ONE DAY FOR CLEAR.!
IF ANY OTHER NUMBER COLLECT MY PAYMENT FROM YOU
PLEASE IGNORE : DARREN 185

And now i am being required to pay him back 600 to fully clear him off or 150 to defer it to next week, i dont know what to do here im so lost and confused
AlphaVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #2244

Yesterday at 0815 i received a bank transfer into my account for $200, and then i used the money as i jus assumed that it was my weekly pay that i got but a few hours later i recevied a whatsapp message saying this

And now i am being required to pay him back 600 to fully clear him off or 150 to defer it to next week, i dont know what to do here im so lost and confused
Are you saying they randomly put money into your account without you knowing? And without you contacting anybody at all?

Whatever it is, do not pay! Any harassment, file police report and call 999.
JusticeLeague2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #2245

Yes thank you. Staying vigilant. My fight just started. The harassment is for a day. But I know more will come after CB is over.
Sorry to hear your case, you will see many similar cases here. Do this:

1. Do not pay!

2. File police report is your ever get harassed, this ensures runners are promptly nabbed.

3. Do not give in to their threats, it is all empty and they will never touch you physically, only threats and fear tactics.

Be not afraid, get on with your life and deal with harassment when and if it happens.
JusticeLeague2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #2246

Whatever it is, they are loan scam. DO NOT PAY! I repeat again.. DO NOT PAY.
Report to Police immediately. Block all their numbers and ghost them.
SeeBlueSkyAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #2247

Are you saying they randomly put money into your account without you knowing? And without you contacting anybody at all?

Whatever it is, do not pay! Any harassment, file police report and call 999.
I had initially went to enquire about a loan from what i thought was a Lml and they askef for my details to check for bad credit(thats what they said) after getting the details i rejectef his offer clearly but then yesterday he put $200 into my account i spent hrs wondering whose it was then i assumed it was my weekly pay and now im stuck in this mess
Old 27-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #2248

Sorry to hear your case, you will see many similar cases here. Do this:

1. Do not pay!

2. File police report is your ever get harassed, this ensures runners are promptly nabbed.

3. Do not give in to their threats, it is all empty and they will never touch you physically, only threats and fear tactics.

Be not afraid, get on with your life and deal with harassment when and if it happens.
Will i be arrested if i myself report this to the police
Old 27-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #2249

Nope. Rest assure. You are a victim not a criminal. We all gone through this before and we all had reported to police. Its a loan scam. So please report to police immediately. Do not reply their sms/watsapp. Block all their numbers and stay uncontactable. Do not answer any unknown call. Change your phone number if possible.
SeeBlueSkyAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #2250

Please report. Wonít get into trouble. I enquired and sincerely wanted to borrow. But after receiving $500 I find it fishy as I was told to return them back $800. Thatís when I found the anti-scam page. In less than 24 hrs of receiving the amt I went to report to police.

Weird enough my IO says I can return the $500 or dont. But if I do need to do it via ATM so I wonít be implicated further. He did say some didnít return the amt at all so more harassments. So if I donít want the money I can do it that way. But he also did mention be it I return or not they will still harass me.

Within the next few hours I told them I will changed my number. Give me account to pay them the amt. end up I paid $500 and cut my line immediately. Bank account also closed. Cctv installed. The moment my line I ghosted them my NOK got contacted to say I owe more money not just $500. NOK also ghosted them. Of course I came clean after making the police report. Also comes clean to my office.

Now pending them to come my house harass me. I slp pretty well last night already. The fear was on the first day when they intimidated me. Sent me videos and photos of houses being burnt and splashed with paint.

Then hurling all vulgarities etc. Iím glad my family supported and forgive me. Iím staying vigilant. They havenít been calling my nok. Only that same day. I duno when they will strike again but we have started to live life normally now. Open the door huge and big.

The only thing I havenít done is to inform neighbours. But Iím a Scam victim. I didnít owe them any money. Yes the initial intent was to borrow thinking itís legal. But once I know itís not I acted immediately.

I might be consoling myself but I feel they wonít do anything more because I refused to give in besides returning ďtheirĒ money. They have no losses except a victim who refused to budged.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.