www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Current Affairs Lounge (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/current-affairs-lounge-17/)
-   -   Public transport in Singapore: Ride bicycle is faster. (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/current-affairs-lounge-17/public-transport-singapore-ride-bicycle-faster-3572846.html)

cherry6 28-03-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunzoner (Post 84577444)
Lots of red herring here... Maybe you can start a fish farm...
MY conclusion is Advocates of cycling ignore the reality of life....
But let me entertain you a bit...
more cycle, more may get sports injuries. medishield-life payout may increase...
Public transport infrastructure will need to be changed to cater for the new mode of transport. aka more bike stands, bike lanes, toilets with shower...
guess where the money will come from?
So what about people now living in other estates? no need to work?
fare increased not peg to frequency. in fact with less people travelling on MRT, fare will have to increase even higher to enable the operators to "not make a lost".
You still have no solution for my kids in childcare?

This is more about work from home. got nothing about cycling...

staggered working hours? According to US/UK or Jap financial market?
Is it short term planning or lack of long term planning? or blind following of USA? Identify the problem properly will allow you to push your agenda and solve the problem...

As long as the govt wants coe prices to go up, it will. just reduce the supply below the demand. nothing about cycling can solve the problem...
And you were saying something about "Please lah, I am not like LKY, say stop at 2 means stop at 2 otherwise, summon, school disadvantage/ even Communist China gahmen: force U have abortion. This is modern world, many moving parts."...
So you still have no solution about the long waits for shower, and the eventual longer time needed away from family that your cycling proposal will create.
Please do take into account of human nature in your proposal. Otherwise, your proposal will be no better then the ivy tower proposals we have been seeing...

Please lah, I never said that everyone must cycle: just as many as possible should, but the change must be gentle. Many parts of the economy, already proven outdated must change as well through: e.g. inefficient office work where pong hours do not necessary mean greater productivity: just kowtow to greater hirechy etc.

Must learn from some foreign talents, get around on bicycle cos to them, PT is expensive. Locals own cars, blue collar foreign talents own bicycles (although some road safety training and helmets will serve most of them well).

Point is, it is not just the bicycle that has to change, the innovativeness of Sinkies must improve too as this world pays highly for innovation: just see the price of Apple computer products as opposed to T-shirts and other cheap plastic stuff.

Various subsidies may have to change, as would work hours to cater for better work life balance. Greater health consciousness will have to be implemented before like Obama care, either the country goes bankrupt, or premiums shoot through the roof.

So please stop complaining boys and girls, any change must be for the greater universal good. Better change now rather than wait for PAP's dream of 6.9million population to come true. By then it would probably be all refugees arriving from fleeing their sunken island states, for a short while before Singapore sinks too...

Something tells me, based upon the feedback received, that Sinkies are best governed in the way Kim Jong En governs N Korea, cos everything they do, always only think of self-benifit first...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multim...01_396977b.jpg[IMG URL]

sunzoner 31-03-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherry6 (Post 84578899)
Please lah, I never said that everyone must cycle: just as many as possible should, but the change must be gentle. Many parts of the economy, already proven outdated must change as well through: e.g. inefficient office work where pong hours do not necessary mean greater productivity: just kowtow to greater hirechy etc.

The reality people faces means not many will take up your call. ignore these reality and you will start sounding like ivory tower idealist.

Quote:

Must learn from some foreign talents, get around on bicycle cos to them, PT is expensive. Locals own cars, blue collar foreign talents own bicycles (although some road safety training and helmets will serve most of them well).
You mean FW?

You also note that these people mainly just cycle to the MRT right? Or they rent a place near their workplace.

Singaporean buy an expensive lease and might not be living anywhere near their work place. So how to cycle?

Quote:

Point is, it is not just the bicycle that has to change, the innovativeness of Sinkies must improve too as this world pays highly for innovation: just see the price of Apple computer products as opposed to T-shirts and other cheap plastic stuff.
Selective example. How many US businesses that aspire to be Apple had closed?

Quote:

Various subsidies may have to change, as would work hours to cater for better work life balance. Greater health consciousness will have to be implemented before like Obama care, either the country goes bankrupt, or premiums shoot through the roof.
Chicken and egg.

You are asking people to change first or these policies to change first?

How likely is it for the incumbents to change?

Quote:

So please stop complaining boys and girls, any change must be for the greater universal good. Better change now rather than wait for PAP's dream of 6.9million population to come true. By then it would probably be all refugees arriving from fleeing their sunken island states, for a short while before Singapore sinks too...
Great! anyone who dun subscribe to your point of view is complaining and contributing to the 6.9. Great way to win argument.

Quote:

Something tells me, based upon the feedback received, that Sinkies are best governed in the way Kim Jong En governs N Korea, cos everything they do, always only think of self-benifit first...

I think you misunderstood. In NK, people are not allowed to think, nor do they do anything to benefit themselves. Its all about the survival of the Great State... :s8:

steve0hh 02-07-2014 08:56 PM

wouldn't mind cycling to mrt/work if the bicycle theft problem is resolved. :( that time i park outside mrt. 1 chain kena broken. lucky another 1 thick enough cannot cut through..

suprememessiah 05-07-2014 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve0hh (Post 86825814)
wouldn't mind cycling to mrt/work if the bicycle theft problem is resolved. :( that time i park outside mrt. 1 chain kena broken. lucky another 1 thick enough cannot cut through..

wah. you actually put 2 chains ah. I only put 1 very thick 1 to prevent theft...

cancer81 08-07-2014 01:45 PM

I would consider this kind of thing IF I do not work at a place right across the island...

getting home from work on public transport take a good 2hours...

I can change my job, yes yes I know..... :s22:

steve0hh 14-07-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cancer81 (Post 86957166)
I would consider this kind of thing IF I do not work at a place right across the island...

getting home from work on public transport take a good 2hours...

I can change my job, yes yes I know..... :s22:

Haha. I feel you bro.
I stay central but study pioneer there.
How to cycle?! Haha. But I always cycle to MRT station and park there until my chain broke, I scared liao.

steve0hh 14-07-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suprememessiah (Post 86878217)
wah. you actually put 2 chains ah. I only put 1 very thick 1 to prevent theft...

I put one is to lock the bicycle frame, that 1 thick.
Another one thinner, I use to lock both wheels.
I always see those cycle lock the frame. but back wheel missing.

alfseeto 16-07-2014 01:05 PM

I cycle to work on a mixture of park connectors and roads. There are so many traffic lights in Singapore that I waste a lot of time waiting at these junctions. On the PCN I reach 20-23km/h, but factor in all the waiting time my average speed is only 16km/h.

fattykim 19-07-2014 01:40 AM

What are you talking about?

erwinrommel 24-07-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfseeto (Post 87142541)
I cycle to work on a mixture of park connectors and roads. There are so many traffic lights in Singapore that I waste a lot of time waiting at these junctions. On the PCN I reach 20-23km/h, but factor in all the waiting time my average speed is only 16km/h.

That's true.

I still think the main issue is the heat in Singapore. Its hellish to cycle under the mid-day sun, but great to cycle on pcn at night.

simon_84 28-07-2014 01:12 PM

i cycle to work from mon to fri, workplace 3 bus stops away.
when it rains, my area no bus and no cab :s27:

mrclubbie 28-07-2014 01:48 PM

our transport system is overstretched i feel.

cherry6 28-07-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon_84 (Post 87411615)
i cycle to work from mon to fri, workplace 3 bus stops away.
when it rains, my area no bus and no cab :s27:

If each bus stop is 0.4km apart and minimum bus fare is $0.77 and it takes U just 3mins to cycle 1.2km @ 24kph (average), means U save $1.54 daily @ rate of $15.4/HR plus FREE exercise n sunshine.

If U work 52wks p.a., 5days a week, your savings are $1.54*52*5= $400.40p.a. can get a new bicycle every year, not to mention time saved if wait for bus (10mins each way), U also save 20*52*5= 5200 mins p.a.= 86.66hrs p.a.= 3.611days= enough to take a short holiday nearby to spend the $400+: for every year that U cycle to your workplace nearby...

Cool...

tinyvoice 05-08-2014 01:27 AM

I am a cyclist, and i do cycle to work.

How do i overcome the weather condition in Singapore?

Well, I cycle pretty early in the morning around 7-8am, and 5-6pm. So usually it is not that hot at that time. However, when it rains, I have a waterproof bag and raincoat. However, the only thing is it does not protect my shoes and socks from getting soak in water.

As for the smell, i put a BO spray in office.

tinyvoice 05-08-2014 01:30 AM

Cycling to work in Singapore at times depends on the route between your office and home. It might not be possible for some people because of the traffic and suitability of the route.