www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Current Affairs Lounge (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/current-affairs-lounge-17/)
-   -   Public transport in Singapore: Ride bicycle is faster. (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/current-affairs-lounge-17/public-transport-singapore-ride-bicycle-faster-3572846.html)

ceecookie 05-08-2014 01:35 AM

http://i59.tinypic.com/oiuefd.jpg

Bike and bus scheme rah.. if only local buses have this :(

redsugar 17-08-2014 10:20 AM

pappie can install erp onto bikes.. then charge $1 per passing thru gantries..

cherry6 22-10-2014 09:49 PM

Cycling should be viable transport option in Singapore: Khaw

This story was printed from channelnewsasia.com

Cycling should be viable transport option in Singapore: Khaw

By Eileen Poh
POSTED: 22 Oct 2014 10:51
URL: Cycling should be viable transport option in Singapore: Khaw - Channel NewsAsia

In a blog post, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan noted that Singapore is "quite walkable", but lags behind cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen, where "walking and cycling as modes of transport have been honed to be the normal way of life".
SINGAPORE: National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan says cycling should be a viable transport option in Singapore for short trips to places like the supermarket, coffee shop, hawker centre or the nearest MRT station. For this to happen, such trips should be made safe and pleasant.

In a blog post titled "4 Wheels Good, 2 Wheels and 2 Feet Even Better" on Wednesday (22 Oct), Mr Khaw noted that Singapore is "quite walkable", with good pavements along most roads, pedestrian priority at traffic junctions and sheltered walkways.

"But we are not perfect. In fact, some cities, like Amsterdam and Copenhagen, have raised active mobility to a higher level. Walking and cycling as modes of transport have been honed to be the normal way of life. In these cities, they make up more than half of the modes of transport," he wrote.

"Bench-marked against them, we are way behind."

Cycling, he said, merely makes up one to two per cent of transport modes here. "We must now go beyond cycling for recreation," he added.

Mr Khaw highlighted initiatives such as the National Cycling Plan, which envisions a cycling network of 700km by 2030.

Next year, 100km of intra-town cycling paths in Yishun, Punggol and Bedok would have been developed. Eventually, all 26 public housing towns will have similar networks to connect homes to neighbourhood centres and MRT stations.

At the same time, the government is exploring bike sharing schemes, as well as increasing safety education programmes, such as the Safe Cycling Programme for Youth for secondary school students.

Mr Khaw's remarks came as the Centre for Liveable Cities and US-based Urban Land Institute on Wednesday launched a publication detailing recommendations to make Singapore more walkable and bicycle-friendly.

The strategies include integrating walking and cycling into public transport systems, installing amenities such as shower facilities, lockers and bicycle parking lots, and planting more trees to shield pedestrians and cyclists from the heat.

- CNA/by/xq

derrickgoh 23-10-2014 05:13 PM

With the way MANY cyclists move in Singapore, I rather they NOT bring their bicycles out on the road. :s8:

notiboey 24-10-2014 03:20 PM

Met an AMDK yesterday riding on PIE, endangering not only himself but the rest of the road users.

With this report out, i will be expecting to see more angmohs being even more reckless on the roads.

Note, it is not because they are environmentally friendly or finds it healthy, it is basically because they are no longer drawing an expat package and as they feel that cars r too expensive, hence they settle for bicycles or motorcycles.

So next time an angmoh points his middle finger at u for honking him when he rides in the middle of the road, alight and ask him if he is interested in a fight. They do not have the balls to do so, why I know? Because i tried it 3 times so far, all 3 ride away faster than i can get back into my car.

wind.wind 21-11-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsugar (Post 87860424)
pappie can install erp onto bikes.. then charge $1 per passing thru gantries..

Oooo think of u as the minst of transport ....

XiaoMoGui888 13-12-2014 02:07 PM

When everyone turn to Bicycle, we will become like china liao. HAHAHA

superman 15-12-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notiboey (Post 89451049)
Met an AMDK yesterday riding on PIE, endangering not only himself but the rest of the road users.

With this report out, i will be expecting to see more angmohs being even more reckless on the roads.

Note, it is not because they are environmentally friendly or finds it healthy, it is basically because they are no longer drawing an expat package and as they feel that cars r too expensive, hence they settle for bicycles or motorcycles.

So next time an angmoh points his middle finger at u for honking him when he rides in the middle of the road, alight and ask him if he is interested in a fight. They do not have the balls to do so, why I know? Because i tried it 3 times so far, all 3 ride away faster than i can get back into my car.

Maybe u more muscular than the Ang Mo. :s13:

Jay Bee 21-07-2016 01:06 PM

ride bicycle cfm is faster....

rast time lim peh from 10kkj, go NTU need fuking 2hr30mins.....

walk -> bus -> mrt -> bus -> walk

now lim peh cycle from 10kkj, go simtech ntu only need fuking 2hr20mins.

Spoiler!

li9ht5peed 22-07-2016 08:51 AM

Bicycles have been around for many decades. Its chief benefits have always been constant. What was true for cycling in the 60s still applies today. Our government never invested much thought about bicycles only until recently. You can be certain that ministers with million dollar salaries cannot be spending time coming up with policies aimed primarily to enhance your personal health or convenience. There has to be something more.

Take note that our road infrastructure has been improving. Roads are getting wider. This cannot go on forever.

Secondly take note that our population policy was set to increase new citizens over time.

Thirdly, the average salary increment is not likely to match the inflation that will result from the above.

Put all these together with the constant need for home-work travelling needs. Surely it is not possible for everyone to own a car. Motorcycles and scooters are more affordable, but they are mostly Euro 3 in terms of emissions. LTA will not be too keen to see so many pollutive 2 wheelers around. The cost of a Euro 5 motorcycle is the same as a small car, so it will remain a niche market.

That leaves us with bicycles, b-bikes, e-scooters, ride-sharing apps, private-hire vehicles, and now even trials to allow folding bikes and PMDs in trains and buses. There is more - in the next 10-20 years, we will have fully driverless electric vehicles that can be summoned to your doorstep, or to other people's doorstep if you are willing to share your driverless ride.

So whatever the transport minister is doing now, is to prepare for the future. It has nothing to do with your personal health, although this makes for great PR.

tw52lotus 27-07-2016 03:01 AM

Why not compare to Amsterdam instead where it's such a bike-friendly country? I think we should really improve on the infrastructure for bicycles (have designated bike and bicycle lanes on ALL roads!)

ydcydc 06-09-2016 01:42 PM

It'll be healthier going ard in bicycles, and will reduce health costs in the long run too

MrChamfer 12-09-2016 06:36 AM

Love the idea of riding bicycle around, but I'm not sure how safe it is.
My past 2 bicycle got stolen :/

falcom2002 19-09-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChamfer (Post 103572309)
Love the idea of riding bicycle around, but I'm not sure how safe it is.
My past 2 bicycle got stolen :/

Beginners are always victims of bicycle theft.

I have also two bikes stolen one from the corridor
outside my home, the other one at the carpark at
the workplace.

So after some serious research, I learned the hard way
by getting the proper locking system such that
potential thieves will walk away when they see the
way your bicycle is being locked. :s8:

amekago 17-09-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceecookie (Post 87589622)
http://i59.tinypic.com/oiuefd.jpg

Bike and bus scheme rah.. if only local buses have this :(

locals sure pek cek got to wait for ppl to board and alight plus load n unload bikes