HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

They help the kind of people you don’t see in Singapore – poor, homeless street children

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #1

They help the kind of people you don’t see in Singapore – poor, homeless street children

April 12 is International Day for Street Children. The Pride talks to two people who have gone the distance in helping the street children of Asia find dignity, opportunity, and hope.
For Poh Wei Ye, 35, what started off as a soul-searching sabbatical through Southeast Asia became a calling to help the street children of Vietnam.
In 2010, Poh lost his mother to cancer and so began his journey to gain some much-needed perspective.
“Through travelling, I began to see that there was a different side to humanity, one that we almost never see in Singapore.”
But his entry into humanitarian work wasn’t exactly something he had planned to do.
“I honestly wanted to just look see, look see, gain some experience, be useful, you know?” he told The Pride candidly.
Working at multiple NGO’s, Poh often aided in the humanitarian work in exchange for a bed and breakfast. However, something struck a chord in him: he noticed just how vulnerable the street children were.
“It’s very dangerous for the children, if they are caught, I know that bad things can happen to them.” Among these: they could be turned into drug addicts to serve peddlers, females could be brought early on into the sex trade, and there have also been allegations of organ farming.
With money left to him by his mother, Poh made the decision to stay on to do something for street children of the community.
editor.thepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.