HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Thoughts on the manufacturing industry in Singapore

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 AM   #1

Thoughts on the manufacturing industry in Singapore

Don't know if anyone here has any experience in the manufacturing industry.

I used to be in O&G but I myself hardly know anyone in manufacturing. I knew one guy in IT but the IT Dept in service side.

Some sectors of manufacturing in Singapore:

1) semiconductor - heard we set up over a dozen plants. How many do we still have?
2)biologics manufacturing - about 9 plants
3)food manufacturing
4) the dyson plant
5)pratt and Whitney fan blade manufacturing
6)O&G chemical processing
firsttimebuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Master Member

Been through hard disk, semi-con and comm devices industries. All industries drive supporting industries like precision machining, M&E contractors, packaging. It sadden me to see all the high precision shops in the JTC factories have turned into low tech carpentry, small offices, etc. As cost rises overtime, there isn't enough high tech industries to sustain all this supporting industries. In the late 80s, Singapore cleanroom M&E contractors were most sought-after. Another area is tool & die. Losing this art is disastrous to the manufacturing industry.
peterchan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #3

Been through hard disk, semi-con and comm devices industries. All industries drive supporting industries like precision machining, M&E contractors, packaging. It sadden me to see all the high precision shops in the JTC factories have turned into low tech carpentry, small offices, etc. As cost rises overtime, there isn't enough high tech industries to sustain all this supporting industries. In the late 80s, Singapore cleanroom M&E contractors were most sought-after. Another area is tool & die. Losing this art is disastrous to the manufacturing industry.
Yes. I agree. Big investors come into Singapore, set up a large plants. These generate a lot of downstream activities through main contractors and sub-contractors.

Like when Seagate pulled out in 2009,a lot of downstream activity vanished.

Semiconductor manufacturing still has a lot of downstream activity.

But yes, tool and die craftsmanship is rapidly dying out.
Old 14-11-2019, 11:40 PM   #4

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...he-skids%3famp
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.