HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any CEG students from NUS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Banned

Question Any CEG students from NUS?

Anyone from CEG (Computer Engineering) in NUS? Former, current, prospective or just recently graduated.

FoE (Faculty of Engineering) and (School of Computing) students are fine too

I am from the AY 2015/16 CEG direct intake (JC batch). I would like to ask people around here who come from my course (or similar courses with modules that are shared with CEG syllabus and curriculum) about certain modules they have taken, their experience and etc

As CEG, computing and some engineering majors share some common modules, feel free to come in and share too!
2bladeftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Master Member

Pls review some EE modules u took in CEG :/

BTW is CG1111 or EE1111 pass fail mod?

What's your GPA you are hovering onto?

Does study last min before exam still work?

And do u need to bring a lappy everyday? Need discrete graphic card?

Thanks bro!
rabbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Banned

Pls review some EE modules u took in CEG :/

BTW is CG1111 or EE1111 pass fail mod?

What's your GPA you are hovering onto?

Does study last min before exam still work?

And do u need to bring a lappy everyday? Need discrete graphic card?

Thanks bro!
Syllabus and curriculum changed since AY 2017/18 for FoE students. It has been changed and revised along the years several times for most engin majors. At least for CEG and EE I know that last biggest revision was for the AY 2017/18 direct and poly intakes and after.

For AY 2016/17 students and before, we did not take EPP module. I heard CG1111 and CG1112 used to be pass-fail basis, but unfortunately, don't think so anymore .

You are going into EE? or CEG?

For AY 2016/17 onwards, they also started the 3 pathways for engineering majors. My batch (AY 2015/16) don't have this. Good for us also, cuz sounds a bit confusing and complicated

I believe your course has a dedicated website right? For example, for us CEG students, this is ours.

As for myself, below is our recommended schedule for my intake. Note that I was from jc and not poly.

Note that certain modules have been recoded and replaced. For example, EE2027 Electronic Circuits replaces EE2021 Devices and Circuits. They are about the same, just that I was told that EE2027 is essentially EE2021 with a lot of the syllabus (especially the Physics theory part) being cut off, possibly to make the module more manageable based on feedback. I will be taking EE2027 this semester.

Also, this semester will be the last semester that EE2024 Programming for Computer Interfaces (worth 5 MCs) will be offered. EE2028 Microcontroller Programming and Interfacing (worth 4 MCs) replaces it and is typically for the newer intakes of CEG and EE students starting from AY 2017/18 (i.e. probably those students who are one year your seniors. You are matriculating this coming August right?)

EE3204 Computer Communications Networks I has also been replaced by EE4204 Computer Networks. The old EE3204 (which is no longer offered from this upcoming sem onwards) used to have no prerequisites except that it had a corequisite of reading EE2023 together in the same semester. The new EE4204 has a new prequisite of ST2334 Probability and Statistics.
Old 29-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Banned

There is also a flowchart of my CEG curriculum progress sent by the module administrator from ECE (electrical and computer engineering) dept's general office, Ms Winnie Chua, but I only have the hard copy now. I think the soft copy is in my motherboard-fried old laptop . Maybe I go email and ask her soon again if possible

As for myself, I not really considered academically strong lah. I am supposed to be going to my year 4 aka final year this upcoming semester, and even cleared my IA but I have not. So far, I only have cleared 61 MCs worth(out of a minimum total of 160 MCs) towards graduation. As I am from JC background, I didn't have any AP (advance placement) modular credits which I can carry forward before I started uni.

I actually took a year-long medical LOA (leave of absence) during AY 2016/17 during what was supposed to be my second year in NUS, due to some health issues. I also didn't pass all my core mods last semester [only passed one GEM and one comms (communications) mod. Got IC (incomplete) grade for the other mods which are core mods because I applied for SC (special consideration) for my exams]

Modules I cleared include:
  • CG1001 Introduction to Computer Engineering (2 MCs, no longer offered)
  • CS1010 Programming Methodology (4 MCs)
  • CS1231 Discrete Structures (4 MCs)
  • MA1505 Mathematics I (4 MCs. Still offered, but I think new batch of CEG, EE, BME and ChE (and some other FoE majors) no longer take this MA mod)
  • GER1000 Quantitative Reasoning (4 MCs)
  • CG1108 Electrical Engineering (4 MCs, no longer offered)
  • CS1020 Data Structures & Algorithms (4 MCs)
  • MA1506 Mathematics II (4 MCs, no longer offered)
  • PC1432 Physics IIE (4 MCs)
  • GET1021 Critical Thinking and Writing (4 MCs. Also coded as ES1531 or GEK1549, but for AY 2015/16 batches onwards, we don't take GEK or SS mods. We take the 5 GEM pillars instead i.e. GEH, GEQ, GER, GES and GET)
  • CS2101 Effective Communication for Computing Professionals (4 MCs)
  • EE2020 Digital Fundamentals (5 MCs. No longer offered. Now replaced by EE2026 Digital Design which is worth 4 MCs)
  • CG2271 Real-Time Operating Systems (4 MCs)
  • GEH1067 Superhero Entertainments (4 MCs)
  • CFG1010 Roots and Wings - Personal and Interpersonal Effectiveness 1.0 (2 MCs, graded pass/fail basis. Can count towards half of my UEM1 requirements)
  • LSM1306 Forensic Science (4 MCs. Count as UEM2)

My batch and before can't take GEQ1000 Asking Questions, as of now so far still. We take an extra GEH10XX / GES10XX / GET10XX to fulfill the "GEQ" pillar.

Oh yeah, forgot to add. Use NUSMODS to conveniently plan your timetable

Last edited by 2bladeftw; 29-07-2018 at 01:56 PM..
Old 29-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Master Member

Put the grade beside leh :/

U got cca? Do u bring ur lappy everyday to sch?
rabbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Banned

Very paiseh to put grades lah...

CAP only slightly above 3.00 currently. Never gotten A or A- before. Highest only B+.

Oh yeah, NUSMods also got module reviews for some modules (not all), but I find some of the reviews like a bit hao lian so don't really like to read... hahahaha...

Hopefully, in this sub-forum in HWZ, can find other fellow NUS students who take similar courses or even modules like me.

Sorry, forgotten already. Maybe you told me before, but you're going into EE right?

Anyway, to answer you, EE modules I have taken:
  • CG1108 Electrical Engineering (worth 4 MCs) (EE version is EG1108, worth 3 MCs. I just found out BOTH CG1108 and EG1108 no longer offered )
  • EE2020 Digital Fundamentals (worth 5 MCs) (no longer offered. EE2026 Digital Design replaces it)

I did take the EE2021 Devices and Circuits halfway in AY 2016/17 semester 1 but I went for urgent medical LOA before the exams so didn't clear it. This sem I am taking EE2027 Electronic Circuits, which is the replacement mod for EE2021 since EE2021 no longer offered since last AY.

EE modules I need to take:
  • EE2024 (worth 5 MCs) (this is the last sem it is being offered) (EE2028 worth 4 MCs replaces it) (I actually took this mod last sem, but I applied for SC and got an IC grade, which doesn't count towards CAP)
  • EE3031 Innovation & Enterprise I (worth 4 MCs)
  • EE4204
  • CG2023 Signals and Systems (worth 4 MCs) (EE version is EE2023, also worth 4 MCs) (I actually took this mod last sem, but I applied for SC and got an IC grade, which doesn't count towards CAP)
  • CG3207 Computer Architecture (worth 4 MCs) (I think this is a TEM a.k.a. technical elective mod for EE students, but it is core for CEG students)

Which EE mods would you like to ask about? For us CEG peeps, we don't take as many EE mods as the EE peeps. We take a mixture of software aka CS mods and hardware and EE mods
Old 29-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Banned

Yup I do. I am in NUS Toastmasters Club. Considering joining a sports CCA, haha..

I have stayed in PGP residences before (not PGP House). Did consider joining some of the events like aikido, zumba etc... but like either no time or too shy.. hahaz..

Also, for me, can graduate with minimum honours, i.e. CAP 3.00-3.49, aka Honours (used to be known as third class hons) I happy AF liao

Honours (Highest Distinction), used to be known as first class hons, i.e. CAP 4.50 and above impossible to achieve already...
Honours (Distinction), used to be known as second upper class hons, i.e. CAP 4.00-4.49, also most likely impossible to achieve already...
Honours (Merit), used to be known as second lower class hons, i.e. 3.50 - 3.99, I think still achievable. But need to work really hard, have lots of luck to try and "squeeze" into it

Degree Classification can be found here

Last edited by 2bladeftw; 29-07-2018 at 02:38 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.