Difference in Big 4 and small audit firm - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobolux1

Reaction score
Honours is only useful in Civil Service

Your Experience is more important

That why you learn the role of an Accountant when you switch over.

Thanks for the reply!

Hmm I just can't figure out why would an auditor with 3 years experience be better than an accountant with 3 years experience in that function if you're just doing one function like ar accountant or ap accountant. It's like unless you're doing some functions together like ar, ap or gl for a group of company or group consolidation then maybe it's better to have an overall picture of the whole process and what other companies in the industries had done?
It's like you never do consolidation for even a parent and a subsidiary before even though you probably audited or seen their conso stuff before then its quite difficult to do group consolidation when you move over?

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I do not go on to do an extra honours year but just get a 3 yrs pass with merit at nus, will it affect me if I decide later to go into commercial accounting or a finance manager after I do some auditing at one of the big 4 firm?

Is it one of their criteria for choosing you after you move on from the big 4?

In addition, wouldn't you be at a disadvantage when you move over from an audit firm if you don't know how to use the SAP system or Oracle or never handle a full set of accounts or the whole accounting process before?
I feel that the honours is important only if it's part of the course like NTU's case. But for people like me (I'm from Aussie Uni), the honours is only for those who got very good results and are willing to take on an extra year of study by choice.

As for accounting system knowledge, you gotta find an employer who is willing to give u time to learn

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Hmm I just can't figure out why would an auditor with 3 years experience be better than an accountant with 3 years experience in that function if you're just doing one function like ar accountant or ap accountant. It's like unless you're doing some functions together like ar, ap or gl for a group of company or group consolidation then maybe it's better to have an overall picture of the whole process and what other companies in the industries had done?
It's like you never do consolidation for even a parent and a subsidiary before even though you probably audited or seen their conso stuff before then its quite difficult to do group consolidation when you move over?
The assumption is that if you can audit/check, means you are skilled enough to perform and prepare accounts. Plus companies like to hire ex-auditors so that they can handle their auditors and prepare the FS :p

hobolux1

Reaction score
The assumption is that if you can audit/check, means you are skilled enough to perform and prepare accounts. Plus companies like to hire ex-auditors so that they can handle their auditors and prepare the FS :p

Haha! :s13: Guess that is true.

Thanks for your reply.

happydart

Reaction score
I feel that the honours is important only if it's part of the course like NTU's case. But for people like me (I'm from Aussie Uni), the honours is only for those who got very good results and are willing to take on an extra year of study by choice.

As for accounting system knowledge, you gotta find an employer who is willing to give u time to learn

Was offered but didn't apply as Big 4 don't take Hons into consideration.
Didn't seem like it was worth paying an extra 30k however much I love Australia.

Last edited:

Duc_Thanh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get some serious advice from Big 4 or ex-big 4 tax seniors.

I'm undecided between Kpmg and Deloitte. Both offered me corporate taxation. The deal maker for me is the corporate culture I.e. in terms of
1. Working hours
2. competitiveness for promotion up to manager level
3. Culture e.g. People can walk around to chit chat (like Pwc), or just sit there and do work(kp)

Appreciate if any seniors here can shed some light on the differences.

pencil2012

Reaction score
3. Culture e.g. People can walk around to chit chat (like Pwc), or just sit there and do work(kp)

Really? Didnt know about this.

I think KP's better in terms of client's exposure. I see more tax computations done by KP compared to deloitte so far.

crumpler123

Reaction score
Hi seniors,

Does anyone of u have any idea abt the audit depts in PwC? The way they classify G1,2,3 etc? And the type of clients for the audit dept?

Thanks in advance for any explanations!

:)

pencil2012

Reaction score
Hi seniors,

Does anyone of u have any idea abt the audit depts in PwC? The way they classify G1,2,3 etc? And the type of clients for the audit dept?

Thanks in advance for any explanations!

:)

Just curious, why would you want to know anyway? I dont think you are given a choice to choose which group to enter and besides, you can request for particular jobs from managers if you are keen. They are normally more than happy to take in associates who want to do their jobs.

rilatotoro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm undecided between Kpmg and Deloitte. Both offered me corporate taxation. The deal maker for me is the corporate culture I.e. in terms of
1. Working hours

I would pick KP over Deloitte. Deloitte isn't really that big in Singapore. However, EY would be the one to go to if you are looking at tax.

Duc_Thanh

Reaction score
I would pick KP over Deloitte. Deloitte isn't really that big in Singapore. However, EY would be the one to go to if you are looking at tax.

Thanks but I stress that client exposure is not a priority for me. Even at EY, only star performers enjoy quality work. They may be good, but it doesn't mean u will definitely learn more if most of the advisory work just goes to one or two top performers.

Last edited:

limkopilimteh

Reaction score
Hi all,

1. Working hours

1. working hours - depends. From Aug onwards, be prepared to stay late. In Oct and Nov, u can knock off early, maybe around 12 to 1am on a daily basis. Saturdays and sundays usually spent in the office as well, though not till 1am.

if ur looking for a job that lets u leave at 6.30pm everyday, then this is not for you. Typically, u chuck ur personal life aside from sept to nov every year due to the peak period.

2. competitiveness depends largely on how well you perform amongst your peers. The norm nowadays is that you get promoted so long u dun screw up too often.

3. culture depends on the people there and you will always have nice and terrible bosses to work with. culture will differ even within corporate tax department. Heng suay thing.

Lastly, exposure to client is very important. I am not sure why u think otherwise. The good thing about working in a big 4 tax is that you get exposure to different industries and you get to take on big cases as compared to a mid tier firm.

if you are at an entry level position, exposure to clients matter.

crumpler123

Reaction score
Just curious, why would you want to know anyway? I dont think you are given a choice to choose which group to enter and besides, you can request for particular jobs from managers if you are keen. They are normally more than happy to take in associates who want to do their jobs.

Haha. Cos I wanted to know what type of industries each dept is handling. Whether any specific dept is better in terms of exposure?

ehsevol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my first time being here.

Just wanted to ask, is EY that desperate for people in Advisory??? I received a call for interview despite never applying to them, my resume was picked up from a job search website. And I am no elite either (grades or experience). Neither am I from Finance/Accounting. I was very surprised about this cos I thought Big 4 positions should be easily snapped up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.