Difference in Big 4 and small audit firm - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

takahashi_87

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, my first time being here.

Just wanted to ask, is EY that desperate for people in Advisory??? I received a call for interview despite never applying to them, my resume was picked up from a job search website. And I am no elite either (grades or experience). Neither am I from Finance/Accounting. I was very surprised about this cos I thought Big 4 positions should be easily snapped up?

maybe the talent acquisition team was told to keep a lookout?

sukkieman

Reaction score
get myself an offer of 2k only in a small firm (those typical tan ah kow &associates,probably 5workers firm). well, market and law isnt particularly friendly with foreingers,industry isnt that nice to acca as well, so i guess i just take it for now. luckily there is no bond attached to it...

Hymnody

Reaction score
get myself an offer of 2k only in a small firm (those typical tan ah kow &associates,probably 5workers firm). well, market and law isnt particularly friendly with foreingers,industry isnt that nice to acca as well, so i guess i just take it for now. luckily there is no bond attached to it...

Get SP good already..what else you wanna look for ?

takahashi_87

Master Member
Reaction score

Congrats on the job. BTW u don't have PR?

sukkieman

Reaction score
Congrats on the job. BTW u don't have PR?

thats the pissed off part... for the past 14 years i have been living in singapore and yet i am not a PR because.... before GE 2012 the standard procedures is that if you get a university degree or professional qualification, after you get yourself a job that is consider professional, you can apply for PR, and probably around 99.5% you can get it. However, the ruling isnt that friendly after GE, so i guess too bad for me...

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thats the pissed off part... for the past 14 years i have been living in singapore and yet i am not a PR because.... before GE 2012 the standard procedures is that if you get a university degree or professional qualification, after you get yourself a job that is consider professional, you can apply for PR, and probably around 99.5% you can get it. However, the ruling isnt that friendly after GE, so i guess too bad for me...
if u are female, u stand a better chance... but i'm guessing u are a guy.

patrick_1314

Reaction score
You should have realised how tough is it to find a decent job nowadays in Singapore, be it you, a PR or a citizen. There's a reason for the tightening of PR policy. And even with that status it doesn't guarantee anything. So you don't have to feel pissed.

sukkieman

Reaction score
You should have realised how tough is it to find a decent job nowadays in Singapore, be it you, a PR or a citizen. There's a reason for the tightening of PR policy. And even with that status it doesn't guarantee anything. So you don't have to feel pissed.

seriously you are not in my shoes you wont know why i feel pissed.

Aloof_guy

Reaction score

Don't talk so much first.. did you serve NS? If yes, then if you a right to be pissed off.

Petrelli_83

Reaction score
seriously you are not in my shoes you wont know why i feel pissed.

Regardless of PR status or not, it falls to whether you have the requisite connections. Only those in the local universities get a more or less free entry into a Big 4 firm. Ang Mohs / Indians who have connections will ask their Ang Moh / Indian colleagues to recommend them into Singapore.Their salaries can pass the quota easily, even though they may have **** qualifications versus a similarly experienced PR/Singaporean. I've seen this happen so many times.

In the most recent case i handled, there is a foreign bank with a trading division, staff strength of 40 employees. Only 3 are Singaporeans, and are in mid to lowly positions. If you are pissed, then the local Singaporeans are trampled and sh*tted on.

Petrelli_83

Reaction score
Regardless of PR status or not, it falls to whether you have the requisite connections. Only those in the local universities get a more or less free entry into a Big 4 firm. Ang Mohs / Indians who have connections will ask their Ang Moh / Indian colleagues to recommend them into Singapore.Their salaries can pass the quota easily, even though they may have **** qualifications versus a similarly experienced PR/Singaporean. I've seen this happen so many times.

In the most recent case i handled, there is a foreign bank with a trading division, staff strength of 40 employees. Only 3 are Singaporeans, and are in mid to lowly positions. If you are pissed, then the local Singaporeans are trampled and sh*tted on.

And to add, they probably only hired the 3 Singaporeans / PRs to get a tax incentive. Can you imagine? Only 3 singaporeans net you a tax incentive. How cheap is our citizenship?

pineapple tarts

Reaction score
Ask you all ah, if your manager, assistant manager or senior gave you wrong instruction then when tio daiji go blame you, do you argue back if you got the evidence? One side of me tells me to keep quiet or else will offend them, the other side of me feels that I should voice out so that they know I'm not at fault, won't look at me like "this person no good, this type of error or mistake also make, give him bad performance report etc", which by right is not my fault. Which is the better option out?

You should clarify in a nice way on where went wrong and how to improve the situation to prevent similar things from happening again. I think better not to insist that you are not at fault.

limkopilimteh

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, feels really sour having to keep quiet about it.

you should clarify to see if you had interpreted the instructions wrongly or if there is a genuine miscommunication.

in all offices, there will always be that "someone" that you do not offend (provided you still want that job). Thats just how things are in reality.

Ironx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, applied to PwC as a non-accounting background applicant under their general assurance department. Was shortlisted for a online psychometric test. Any tips and advice? Will there be technical questions or is it logic? Difficulty? Thanks in advance..:o

DriftKing

Reaction score
Hi all, applied to PwC as a non-accounting background applicant under their general assurance department. Was shortlisted for a online psychometric test. Any tips and advice? Will there be technical questions or is it logic? Difficulty? Thanks in advance..:o

No technical questions (if given non-accounting intake they still ask you things you don't know meh) and I think the website did say how is the test going to be.

3 parts, Verbal, Numerical and Logic.

DriftKing

Reaction score
Same tests, actually KPMG and PwC using same provider (not sure about D and EY though, didnt get to take them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.