Difference in Big 4 and small audit firm - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowzeewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Truthfully speaking, I don't see myself being in accountancy for the long term (I don't think anyone will naturally like accounting work, if he say he is he will be lying)

Response:
My main interest lies with project advisory, which I did a summer internship on. During the internship I had to help with the due diligence (which is like 80% of the advisory work), which besides the technical part that I mainly helped out with, I worked a bit on the financial dd side as well. I realised a bulk of it is essentially auditing potential project partners, and accounting skills are quite key to painting an accurate picture and safe guarding investments. So I want to take this opportunity with orange to pick up the skills in accounting that would stay with me and be useful for the rest of my career. Meanwhile, I can contribute to orange with my technical and industrial knowledge. Why can't I just pick up the skills else where? The level of exposure at a Big 4 firm cannot be matched, both in terms of range and scale of clients. And the position offered, specifically catering to non-accounting grads, seems to be crafted for someone in my exact position.

Strong enough reasoning?

Sounds legit, but is also quite a mouthful. :s13:

Basically you enjoyed your internship and feel that doing this job (if selected) will be your best way to develop your interest and skill set.

Chrysanthemum Tea

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds legit, but is also quite a mouthful. :s13:

Basically you enjoyed your internship and feel that doing this job (if selected) will be your best way to develop your interest and skill set.

yep that's it essentially :s13:

But I want to make it more accounting focused so they wont ask me why did I not apply for the advisory roles (which I did, but did not get reply)

No use for a Name

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Truthfully speaking, I don't see myself being in accountancy for the long term (I don't think anyone will naturally like accounting work, if he say he is he will be lying)

Response:
My main interest lies with project advisory, which I did a summer internship on. During the internship I had to help with the due diligence (which is like 80% of the advisory work), which besides the technical part that I mainly helped out with, I worked a bit on the financial dd side as well. I realised a bulk of it is essentially auditing potential project partners, and accounting skills are quite key to painting an accurate picture and safe guarding investments. So I want to take this opportunity with orange to pick up the skills in accounting that would stay with me and be useful for the rest of my career. Meanwhile, I can contribute to orange with my technical and industrial knowledge. Why can't I just pick up the skills else where? The level of exposure at a Big 4 firm cannot be matched, both in terms of range and scale of clients. And the position offered, specifically catering to non-accounting grads, seems to be crafted for someone in my exact position.

Strong enough reasoning?

If you looking To do advisory/Corp fin in the longer term, your technical skills have to be really strong
Have to flag out any red flags if any
It’s a given that your 3 statements have to be strong
Must know the linkage
Spot the distortions and recast them

But it’s way way more work than what I mentioned

Siaolangkeng

Reaction score
If you looking To do advisory/Corp fin in the longer term, your technical skills have to be really strong
Have to flag out any red flags if any
It’s a given that your 3 statements have to be strong
Must know the linkage
Spot the distortions and recast them

But it’s way way more work than what I mentioned

Jskm..................

hello54321

Reaction score
Hi All,

Understand that big 4 are opening positions as audit senior in the financial services industry (especially asset and wealth management / Insurance). Will anyone have any information to advise on work place cultures, workload, learning curve and expectations in your respective firms.

Thank you in advance All

renzor

Reaction score
Anyone is currently in BDO as a M in audit dept? Esp someone who has made the move to jump over from big4? Was approached by BDO to jump over from my current role in Big4. Hope to gain some insights if this would be an ideal move.

hello54321

Reaction score
Anyone is currently in BDO as a M in audit dept? Esp someone who has made the move to jump over from big4? Was approached by BDO to jump over from my current role in Big4. Hope to gain some insights if this would be an ideal move.

I will suggest you stay in big four.

1. Branding - Big 4 are more prestigious than mid-tier. No matter what your exit opportunities will be better than mid tier peers.
2. Remuneration - Basic salary and bonus are higher in big 4.
3. Portfolio - Big 4 has bigger clients and portfolio. Exposure are better.
4. Welfare - Sponsored certification and having lock down period, etc in big four. Mid tiers do not have many welfare.

Usually new comer will be handed shitty portfolio. That’s life. Getting used to the audit methodology and system are no easy feat too. You may not necessarily perform well too. Hence, I will suggest you stay in big four or go commercial straight after.

Last edited:

Master Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you stay in big four.

1. Branding - Big four are more prestigious than mid-tier. Exit opportunities will be better
2. Remuneration - Basic salary and bonus are higher in big four
3. Portfolio - Bigger clients and portfolio in big four
4. Welfare - Certifications are sponsored and lock down period, etc in big four

Usually new comer will be handed over portfolio that are shitty. Getting used to the audit methodology and system is not easy feat too. You may not necessarily perform well too. Hence, I would suggest you stay in big four or go commercial straight after.
Agreed. I won't jump from big 4 to mid tier unless is to be P. Hahaha!

Sent from HUAWEI ELE-L29 using GAGT

Noworktodo

Master Member
Reaction score
What did they offer u to make u consider? Higher pay? Faster promotion?

hello54321

Reaction score
Hi All,

Understand that big 4 are opening positions as audit senior in the financial services industry (especially asset and wealth management / Insurance). Will anyone have any information to advise on work place cultures, workload, learning curve and expectations in your respective firms. Especially for mid tier seniors.

Thank you in advance All

Does any one has information for this. Greatly appreciated. :)

No use for a Name

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone know how Long will blue, orange & yellow will get back after surf interview?

Can add in black too
Heard yellow is pretty fast
But just curious for blue & orange

Master Member
Reaction score
I know of managers who jump across to be P simply because it is not possible for them to hit P in big4
There is quite a few cases recently where one firm D went over to become P. Haha

Master Member
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone know how Long will blue, orange & yellow will get back after surf interview?

Can add in black too
Heard yellow is pretty fast
But just curious for blue & orange
It takes a while, from my experience.

Master Member
Reaction score
And even then you might reconsider. It's not always a clear cut choice!
Haha yea, as long I can progress in the firm, the chance of me moving out to another firm is low,imo

renzor

Reaction score
What did they offer u to make u consider? Higher pay? Faster promotion?

Higher pay and good portfolio (they claim). What got me considered was is I’m to stay in audit, to be a P in big4 seems too impossible. If to go is a matter of time, it may be better to leave earlier to get use to the different working method and culture there.

Noworktodo

Master Member
Reaction score
Higher pay and good portfolio (they claim). What got me considered was is I’m to stay in audit, to be a P in big4 seems too impossible. If to go is a matter of time, it may be better to leave earlier to get use to the different working method and culture there.
Join when u are SM in big 4 also not too late. Go mid tier now as a M is abit too early because the yearly increment in mid tier sure can't fight with big 4 although they may offer u a one time big jump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.