Like Tree3654Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #7816
Supremacy Member

About the same for most firms.

My firm. Associate-semi-senior-Senior-AM-M-SM
Old 16-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #7817
Arch-Supremacy Member

Big 4 takes in Non-Accountancy Graduates too. Not many, but got.

Not just Business, even Engineerig and Math graduates also have.

Everyone is on par / equally qualifed after getting their CA SG. The hard part is actually passing the papers. But surprisingly,the NAGs in my firm seem to do quite well... they really mug hard to pass unlike some Acc grads who took things for granted and end up failing.
Ya I know have. Last time I got non accounting friend in big4, in audit because got connections lol.

Now audit season again... Jin jelly pwc auditor so free.. Always go home earlier than me

Sent from Google PIXEL XL using GAGT
Milo-Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #7818
Supremacy Member

So strange. Nowdays non-accountancy graduates are now eligible for CA sg too? If I remember correctly, only those with accredited degree can then be accepted into the programme since the rebranding.
Yeah. Non-accredited degrees are on a case by case basis though.
-73H_64M3R- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #7819

My point is.. The guy above is expecting to be able to get an accounting job with business degree?

Accounting degree holders really go eat grass liao..

I was asking on behalf of someone else, and yes he has gotten into Big 4 with a Business degree.

Accounting jobs aren't exclusive to accounting degree holders, but surely they will be preferred by accounting firms.
TKR1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #7820

I was asking on behalf of someone else, and yes he has gotten into Big 4 with a Business degree.

Accounting jobs aren't exclusive to accounting degree holders, but surely they will be preferred by accounting firms.

I thought it varies by firm & country as 'business degree' means different things to different people.
jace88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #7821

Big 4 takes in Non-Accountancy Graduates too. Not many, but got.

Not just Business, even Engineerig and Math graduates also have.

Everyone is on par / equally qualifed after getting their CA SG. The hard part is actually passing the papers. But surprisingly,the NAGs in my firm seem to do quite well... they really mug hard to pass unlike some Acc grads who took things for granted and end up failing.
Yes it’s difficult. Not suitable for older professionals. Lol. There’s an audit manager in my firm told the staff he took 3 papers he say should be able to pass one. He laughed at those who took only one. In the end he failed all 3 but the staff who went steady n slowly passed! I just can’t help laughing at this incident. He’s been an auditor for more than 10 years but no qualification. The seniors are more qualified than him.
Sourcoffeekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #7822
Master Member

I thought it varies by firm & country as 'business degree' means different things to different people.
Even Geography and History grads also get hired because firms believe that technical skills can be learnt....
bubblegumcartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #7823
Supremacy Member

Why I feels accounting professionals like more & more not professionals in Singapore?

Even Geography and History grads also get hired because firms believe that technical skills can be learnt....
Old 16-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #7824
Supremacy Member

Why I feels accounting professionals like more & more not professionals in Singapore?
Accountants weren't very much considered professionals in the first place. The formal professions are Law and Medicine. They're protected to a lesser extent now but still, you need very specific degrees to become a doctor or a lawyer.
-73H_64M3R- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #7825
Master Member

I don’t think accounting is very difficult at all... I don’t think reading Geog or History in school will impede with your ability to account for things.

Everyone need to take professional papers anyways so in terms of knowledge and technical skills, really no difference between accounting grads and say a history grad. I’d say about 10% of my colleagues did accounting in uni...

bubblegumcartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #7826
Arch-Supremacy Member

The difficulty comes in the changes of accounting standards and the impact on the accounts and way things are done. Just like the changes in revenue recognition and accounting for leases.

Anyway accounting is only the first step. The eventual aim should be on how accounting can help you get to management level and how it helps in decision making.

jace88 likes this.
Old 16-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #7827

There is a difference between bookkeeping and accounting. Some expect bookkeepers to perform like accountants and some only want to pay accountants like bookkeepers.

Current trend seems to be towards FPnA too - but then you often get dragged into reviewing bookkeeping outputs.
asdarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #7828

Difference between entry level and more senior positions which require knowledge/experience.
jace88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #7829

Ya I know have. Last time I got non accounting friend in big4, in audit because got connections lol.

Now audit season again... Jin jelly pwc auditor so free.. Always go home earlier than me

Hahaha. Maybe they go home makan then continue again till very late. Alot of ppl doing that nowadays. More comfortable instead of being in your office attire and working.
kaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #7830
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hahaha. Maybe they go home makan then continue again till very late. Alot of ppl doing that nowadays. More comfortable instead of being in your office attire and working.
Don't bring laptop home, can work?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.