www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Degree Programs and Courses (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/degree-programs-courses-70/)
-   -   Is DigiPen Singapore good for BSc in Computer Science? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/degree-programs-courses-70/digipen-singapore-good-bsc-computer-science-6184943.html)

simranuq 18-01-2020 03:21 PM

Is DigiPen Singapore good for BSc in Computer Science?

I want to get a B.Sc. in Computer Science. On 14th Jan 2020, I went to Singapore Institute of Technology's open day. There I learned about DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore. The claims they made sounded very attractive. Especially, their claim on $4000 a month starting salary for their fresh graduates made me interested to dig a bit more about the institute. What I found after digging does not look very promising. I found the followings:

1) Most of their computer science instructors are not Ph.D. holders and do not have any prior teaching experience. Therefore, in terms of paper and apparent qualification, they are not even close to NUS, NTU, or SUTD instructors.

2) The institute is accredited by Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). ACCSC is mainly for professional training institutes and not for regular universities. Moreover, only new, small sized and low-profile schools in USA take this accreditation.

3) Seems like only a handful of companies are hiring DigiPen Singapore students. Moreover, 90% students are not working in a company relevant to their degree.

4) Seems like DigiPen Singapore degree is not appreciated by NUS, NTU, SMU and SUTD for post-graduation.

So, I am really confused now. I want to do Ph.D. in Computer Science in future. But also want a good starting salary after graduation. Can anyone suggest me whether DigiPen Singapore degree will be helpful to achieve my dream? Honest and constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

charlesdygreat 18-01-2020 03:25 PM

Well, DigiPen Institute of Technology is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

simranuq 18-01-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesdygreat (Post 124662046)
Well, DigiPen Institute of Technology is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Thanks for your prompt reply charlesdygreat. I understand that DigiPen Singapore is "Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges" (ACCSC) accredited. However, in the list of ACCSC accredited institutes, I cannot find a single decently reputed university in USA. In fact, most of these institutes are not even universities and have no rank on Times Higher Education university ranking. That is why, I am worried whether ACCSC is reliable or not.

nyvrem 18-01-2020 09:46 PM

u might wanna do more research just to have a better picture of Digipen before committing.

Firstly, Digipen is not regionally accredited (RA) (look up regional accreditation, majority of the major US unis are regionally accredited) as what u have said, they are accredited from ACCSC.

does this matter alot? it depends. if u r thinking about using that piece of paper to go overseas to do future studies, u might run into issues. eg, major Unis in the US won't look kindly on a 'US degree' that's not regionally accredited for graduate studies.

Example, from the UC Berkely website for gradute admissions.

Quote:

You must hold or expect to hold prior to the beginning of classes a bachelorís degree from a U.S. school accredited by one of the AACRAO regional accrediting agencies*.

* Regionally accredited college or university means an institution of higher education accredited by one of the following regional accreditation associations in the United States:

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
The Higher Learning Commission (formerly known as North Central Association of Colleges and Schools)
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Western Association of Schools and Colleges
https://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/requirements/

Secondly, according to the ABET website, Digipen has 2 programs that are ABET accredited. please do due diligence to check if the program u r taking in SG are ABET accredited. Again, does this matter? it depends. it might hinder ur chances for employment overseas. some jobs in the US want ABET computer science graduates, example here.

Quote:

Qualifications

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering from an ABET accredited program. 0-3 years of experience in control systems or data acquisition systems. Candidate must be experienced in software skills such as LabVIEW, C/C++/C#. Proficiency in other programming languages is a bonus. Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs is required.
https://www.indeed.com/q-Abet-jobs.h...48c889458f4e66

So what does this all mean? nothing really. if u just want a CS degree and work in SG, it'll do just fine since it's via SIT. but if u ask me personally. the program is shiat since ur paying alot for it. i think it's like $35k for the whole program? that's alot for a piece of paper that's not RA.

Is there anything 'better' ?

well, if u can get into NUS/NTU/SMU for their CS program, u should go there first. but not everyone can enter. the next option (which i personally think is better due to the brand name) is the University of London's BS in CS program. it's offered at SIM or directly online with cousera.

if u r wondering why am i using Digipen and showing u examples of stuff in the US, that's cause this 'school' is from the US. and if u think about it - if u were studying in the US with digipen and came out, u r going to have alot of challenges later on as compared to someone who came out with a CS degree from a state uni.

ng min teck 27-03-2020 09:09 AM

It depend what u plan to do in your career. If you don't wish to do video game industry career, then choose NUS the better choice. In Singapore there is no much video game industry job avaliable and the pay usually lower than other computer science related job. In fact Digipen in Singapore shifting their focus to IT related sector rather than video game sector.

In singapore SIT is well known than Digipen school name and most of the course in Digipen passing grade is 70%, this make high GPA harder and give you disadvantages for school or job interview which GPA minded.

If u passion about develop video game, then digipen is your choice. Plus tried to learn other language like japanese, korean, france or polish beside english and chinese.

Korean - pearl abyss, ncsoft, nexon, bluehole ans other more

Japanese - square enix, capcom , nintendoa and other more

France -ubisoft

Polish - cd project red