HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

First year Degree Dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

First year Degree Dilemma

Hello readers,

would like to seek some opinion on my next course of action, Im currently a year 1 undergrad and having doubts with my course. I chose this course based on practicality reason, and I know theres always this constant debate on passion vs practicality in a degree of choice.

Suppose you have a bad sem one results, would u choose to change course to one which is preferably more of your liking? or stick with it throughout, hoping that you can pull your gpa up and not risk graduating >4 years.

Appreciate all the inputs, thank you.
suchgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
Honorary Member

U will have a hard time dreading thru best is to change
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 AM   #3
Great Supremacy Member

its not too late to change if u really feel like u wont be able to cope. but please do your research diligently and manage your expectations of said degree you would like to take because of your passion.

i have a friend who did well enough in poly to enter NBS for his undergraduate degree. but his not doing too well right now because of the competition. i think his GPA is below 3.

at the same time, his got a keen interest in computer science. so his finding alternative routes to get education in tech while dragging himself through to finish his degree at nbs.

i'm not sure if you would want to be in his situation.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Have you found out what is the cause of your bad result? Lack of studies (such as working part time jobs or too lazy and perform last minute studies), don't understand what the lecturer is taking about, Lecturers vs Course materials vs Exams are not consistent.

What you like does not mean you can score or even pass out from the course that you hope to transfer. For example, you will face the same problem such as Lecturers vs Course materials vs Exams are not consistent in your current university.

So find out what gone wrong and decide your next cause of action, then we can discuss further from there.

Hello readers,

would like to seek some opinion on my next course of action, Im currently a year 1 undergrad and having doubts with my course. I chose this course based on practicality reason, and I know theres always this constant debate on passion vs practicality in a degree of choice.

Suppose you have a bad sem one results, would u choose to change course to one which is preferably more of your liking? or stick with it throughout, hoping that you can pull your gpa up and not risk graduating >4 years.

Appreciate all the inputs, thank you.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Have you found out what is the cause of your bad result? Lack of studies (such as working part time jobs or too lazy and perform last minute studies), don't understand what the lecturer is taking about, Lecturers vs Course materials vs Exams are not consistent.

What you like does not mean you can score or even pass out from the course that you hope to transfer. For example, you will face the same problem such as Lecturers vs Course materials vs Exams are not consistent in your current university.

So find out what gone wrong and decide your next cause of action, then we can discuss further from there.
Good advice here. OP, I'd add that passion trumps practicality (bearing in mind that they're not mutually exclusive). Hope all works out fine for you.
anvily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #6

Thanks all fpr the inputs. Maybe 5 years uni might not sound too bad... I did put in effort, well not as much effort as many others thats for sure, for i guess cos I have no interest in what I am studying. I dont think its the lecturers.. its just me and my social circle of friends in the same course? We are hovering the bottom 25 percentile for mid terms..
suchgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:09 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why chose this course in first place when you are not interested?

Will changing your social circle of friends in the same course help you?

Thanks all fpr the inputs. Maybe 5 years uni might not sound too bad... I did put in effort, well not as much effort as many others thats for sure, for i guess cos I have no interest in what I am studying. I dont think its the lecturers.. its just me and my social circle of friends in the same course? We are hovering the bottom 25 percentile for mid terms..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.