HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to be admitted into SIT Occupational Therapy

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #61

Hello friend! Happy that you're passionate about helping others with disabilities, always good to start with something!

Good question with regards to admission and age. I truly do not know if that will restrict your chances, though we do have a few coursemates in their 30s. I don't think it's impossible, but I cannot guarantee an equal chance of admission. I believe the admission criteria is mostly based on the quality of your application. I'm also not sure about how current unemployment will affect the application, but like mentioned, what matters is what you put in your application. The fact that you've worked with kids with disabilities might be a boon for you.

That being said, lots of coursemates here have their eyes set on paediatrics too. OT is very holistic, and it's okay to want to be a pediatric OT. I don't think that will affect your application, in fact I think that might help. Just note that majority of the course will be about skills and knowledge that are not specific to an age group, so if you do enter, I hope you won't be disappointed if most of your studies here are related to other disability groups! However do go with an open mind, maybe you'll like working with other age groups after your 4 years in OT

Another excellent question about coping. I really wish I could say I had time for a lot of things, but I don't. This course is heavy in its demands, and that's an important consideration. I imagine there must be much to take care of with your young children; in a few years they would be enrolling in primary schools and there's much for a mother to do. I don't advocate for crushing your hopes and dreams in lieu of fulfilling your role to your family, but I do warn you that this course requires it's sacrifices of time. I'm just a student without a spouse or children and I'm usually very busy, I imagine it would be even more taxing with growing children. Just to be cognisant.

With regards to job placements, you could apply for these jobs, I'm sure there's no shortage of healthcare worker jobs in this time. All again with the amount of time you're willing to invest into this career. It's a cost effective idea too, because it's a paying job still, regardless whether you enter the course or not.

I hope this answers your questions, I apologize if I didn't! All the best to you!
Hi OT student,
Appreciate your reply and advices. It did gave me a better understanding.

Thank you so much for your sharing and time.

All the best to you in your studies 😊
SAHMSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 10:41 PM   #62

Seeking help on getting a TA job

Hi Otstudent,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience on the SIT OT application process. I find all the information you provided extremely useful, and I will go to say that you have even inspired me to take action on pursuing a OT/PT career path.

Before I can achieve that dream, there are many hurdles for me to jump through. The very first of them is for me to secure a TA job (as per your advice). I have tried applying for a few TA job postings in Jobstreet but to no avail. I don't blame them because whatever experience I have is irrelevant (I have worked as an engineer in the past and now as an analyst). I know that your job vacancy has long been filled, but I was wondering if you still have any contacts that you can share with me? It will go a long way in helping me and will be very much appreciated!!

Anyway, I am a mid-career professional looking to apply for next year's PCP intake. I am currently still working full-time, but I am prepared to resign and commit to being a full-time TA. If not, any part-time/ad-hoc experience will be helpful as well. I have tried to apply for shadowing programmes but most have been suspended due Covid.

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. I do not have 10 post counts yet so unable to PM.
curiousotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #63

Hi Otstudent,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience on the SIT OT application process. I find all the information you provided extremely useful, and I will go to say that you have even inspired me to take action on pursuing a OT/PT career path.

Before I can achieve that dream, there are many hurdles for me to jump through. The very first of them is for me to secure a TA job (as per your advice). I have tried applying for a few TA job postings in Jobstreet but to no avail. I don't blame them because whatever experience I have is irrelevant (I have worked as an engineer in the past and now as an analyst). I know that your job vacancy has long been filled, but I was wondering if you still have any contacts that you can share with me? It will go a long way in helping me and will be very much appreciated!!

Anyway, I am a mid-career professional looking to apply for next year's PCP intake. I am currently still working full-time, but I am prepared to resign and commit to being a full-time TA. If not, any part-time/ad-hoc experience will be helpful as well. I have tried to apply for shadowing programmes but most have been suspended due Covid.

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. I do not have 10 post counts yet so unable to PM.

Hi friend, honoured to help as always! Happy to meet people who are passionate in helping others and willing to go the extra mile to achieve this!

I regret I don't have contacts to share at this point of time as I've not been in the workforce for nearly 3 years now. It's true that it will be difficult to find TA jobs without relevant experience unless the organisation is desperate for manpower. But if you're interested, there is a WSQ course that will equip you with the skills to be a TA, and that will greatly increase your employability to be a TA. I'll put the link here: https://hmi-ihs.com/index.php/wsq-higher-certificate-in-healthcare-support-therapy-support

Hope this helps, all the best to your career journey! If you can't PM yet, feel free to comment on this thread if you're comfortable with sharing
Otstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.