HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Information Systems in SMU vs NUS

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #1

Information Systems in SMU vs NUS

Hi guys! Would really appreciate opinions regarding NUS IS to SMU IS(M), really cannot decide between the 2. Which school would you guys choose to study IS in and why?

I read about student life, S/U options for NUS etc online. However, will really like additional inputs or personal views maybe from seniors of the mentioned courses. Huge dilemma for me here so will appreciate your help if possible, thanks yall!
SampanBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Hi guys! Would really appreciate opinions regarding NUS IS to SMU IS(M), really cannot decide between the 2. Which school would you guys choose to study IS in and why?

I read about student life, S/U options for NUS etc online. However, will really like additional inputs or personal views maybe from seniors of the mentioned courses. Huge dilemma for me here so will appreciate your help if possible, thanks yall!

Doesn't matter man. End of the day when you are inside, you feel like you choose the wrong course. So pick the one which you values most
IAmZTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

Bumping this thread for more inputs!
SampanBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #4

Yo bro, ps couldn't reply via PM.

Imho, I put NUS over SMU bcos of reputation la.

To be very honest, I've heard the study culture at SMU is alot more modern. Meaning, you need to be extroverted, communicate alot, and speak to others, cos SMU promotes inter-class comms.

To simply put, if you're the mugger who doesn't talk much to peers go NUS. But if you like communicating, are a go-getter, does projects well, likes to be in teams rather than work alone the SMU.

Furthermore, there are words that say, SMU pays higher as a freshgrad in IS/Comp Sci at around $4000ish, as compared to NTU/NUS aat 3.2-3.5K, reason being cos SMU works closer to the outside world, as compared to NUS/NTU where they are more on academics.
hysterous97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Master Member

Furthermore, there are words that say, SMU pays higher as a freshgrad in IS/Comp Sci at around $4000ish, as compared to NTU/NUS aat 3.2-3.5K, reason being cos SMU works closer to the outside world, as compared to NUS/NTU where they are more on academics.
No longer true. For single degree comparison, the highest paid now is NUS CS (Avg 4.5K).

And there is no Comp Sci in SMU
Old 24-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

No longer true. For single degree comparison, the highest paid now is NUS CS (Avg 4.5K).

Ah yas, there's no CS in SMU mybad!
hysterous97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

I think SMU getting in CS next year or the year after

Raxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Yo bro, ps couldn't reply via PM.

Imho, I put NUS over SMU bcos of reputation la.

To be very honest, I've heard the study culture at SMU is alot more modern. Meaning, you need to be extroverted, communicate alot, and speak to others, cos SMU promotes inter-class comms.

To simply put, if you're the mugger who doesn't talk much to peers go NUS. But if you like communicating, are a go-getter, does projects well, likes to be in teams rather than work alone the SMU.

Try to ask your Hiring Manager to give you a higher salary if you have a SMU degree......

Their salary are higher as their students are push to work in the financial industry which pays well.
darksiedluv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #9

i have a friend that graduated from nus IS, he said SMU IS is actually harder to get in as compared to NUS IS. however he's actually a higher earner now. so i dont know man lol
icyboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
Master Member

I think SMU getting in CS next year or the year after
Woah ... I wonder how their CS programme gonna be like compared to NUS CS.
Old 25-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Master Member

i have a friend that graduated from nus IS, he said SMU IS is actually harder to get in as compared to NUS IS. however he's actually a higher earner now. so i dont know man lol
Actually which sch/course u r graduated from doesnt matter, what matters is your skill. With superb skill, you can easily get a 5k starting pay.
Old 29-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #12

Life in NUS Information System

Hi,

Recently had accepted NUS Information system during the JAE application. May I know how is the life going to be there?
I heard that is gonna be tough and certainly not hoping that I can score a low GPA in NUS.
I had no prior knowledge to computing beforehand in Poly as I study sciences. cGPA:3.94, L1R4:9 after CCA deduction.
Any seniors are on the same track as me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Brooklyn2615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 01:25 AM   #13

IMO SMU prepares the students for the corporate world but NUS has a better rep, so it rly depends on whether u wna climb the corporate ladder or be a backend programmer (dont show face)
HolyInnocents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #14

IMO SMU prepares the students for the corporate world but NUS has a better rep, so it rly depends on whether u wna climb the corporate ladder or be a backend programmer (dont show face)
NUS IS/cs != backend programmer

you got it all wrong. they may do some programming initially. but they move up to becomes analysts / consultants, etc. and nothing to stop them from jumping to other sectors.
whuttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #15

On the contrary, I know of many computing students going for NUS NOC to do start ups at places like Silicon valley. you can also take entrepreneurial/biz mods too during noc
Fearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.