HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Kind advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

Kind advice needed

Hi,
If anyone noticed my post in the Nus/ntu admission, I need some opinions on this. I got the offer to Nus in May, so I had applied for accommodation, already paid 200 for acceptance fee, applied for faculty camp and medical check up, planning to take up a project n deciding a new pathway. Then I received a more relevant course to my diploma in ntu last week! So I’m in a state of confusion of where to go...

Any kind advice or opinions will be very much appreciated.

Nus:electrical start from year 1
Ntu:Mechanical start from year 2

My diploma: aerospace

I’m looking for career opportunities after these two courses? Which one will be more highly sought after?

Is it too late to apply for special program in ntu like language program and accomodation?

What do people do after graduate from these two courses? Besides engineer

Thank you
Jane Zhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:01 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

In general look around you, more things are moving away from mech to electronics. Cars are going to electric in the near future.
Some stuff still must remain mech.
Electrical engineering you can move to software so a lot more flexibliblity there. Today big data etc are popular. I can do Mech and enter to become data science.

Uni wise many would go for NUS.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

Well this part hope not too late to respond but as someone who went through direct year 2 for NUS electrical engineering, feel that it will be fast paced in particular without being able to cater for exchange programmes without being a mapping god as well as finances to go for those. Gotta expect workloads for 3 year programmes to be quite congested. Even for myself when handling modules, out of 4 semesters, 1 had 5 modules but 2 programming modules in one go with 3 other semesters juggling 6 modules approaching 23/25 MCs per semester. So it depends on which route you prefer like if want more activities and adding colour in your life, you will prefer going to NUS EE from year 1 as the pace will be slower and more relaxed. If not wrong NTU mech Engineering likely has 6 months internship while NUS EE think if start from year 1you might have a choice on 6 months internship need check those preferences you might have to clarify with the respective universities.

Hope this helps.
Pokraisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Regardless if your major is in Mech or Elect, you will needs to start as a Trainee Engineer in a CAAS-Approved Maintenance Training Organisation to earn your Singapore Aircraft Maintenance Licence (AML) to become a Licensed Aircraft Engineer (LAE) in Aviation Industry.

Both allow you to work as Engineer in various sectors like M&E, Project Management, Facility Management and etc.

The different will be if you do not wish to become a PE (Elect), you still can become a Licensed Electrical Technician with EMA using your BEng (EEE). However no occupation that required licence from a BEng (Mech) if you do not wish to become a PE (Mech) but BEng (Mech) allow you to join as manufacturing, automotive, piping, etc engineer that give you more job opportunity.

So end day, you want to have more job opportunity or become a professional?

Hi,
If anyone noticed my post in the Nus/ntu admission, I need some opinions on this. I got the offer to Nus in May, so I had applied for accommodation, already paid 200 for acceptance fee, applied for faculty camp and medical check up, planning to take up a project n deciding a new pathway. Then I received a more relevant course to my diploma in ntu last week! So Iím in a state of confusion of where to go...

Any kind advice or opinions will be very much appreciated.

Nus:electrical start from year 1
Ntu:Mechanical start from year 2

My diploma: aerospace

Iím looking for career opportunities after these two courses? Which one will be more highly sought after?

Is it too late to apply for special program in ntu like language program and accomodation?

What do people do after graduate from these two courses? Besides engineer

Thank you
Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #5

I did a search on jobs, it seems like mech has more job opportunities... but I have already offered a place to stay, language program n a three years project at Nus electrical... today is my last day if I want to accept mech... I want to work in aerospace, it may not be license aircraft engineer, right now I’m already working for a design project for a mnc aerospace company. Hais. Hardest choice to make

Regardless if your major is in Mech or Elect, you will needs to start as a Trainee Engineer in a CAAS-Approved Maintenance Training Organisation to earn your Singapore Aircraft Maintenance Licence (AML) to become a Licensed Aircraft Engineer (LAE) in Aviation Industry.

Both allow you to work as Engineer in various sectors like M&E, Project Management, Facility Management and etc.

The different will be if you do not wish to become a PE (Elect), you still can become a Licensed Electrical Technician with EMA using your BEng (EEE). However no occupation that required licence from a BEng (Mech) if you do not wish to become a PE (Mech) but BEng (Mech) allow you to join as manufacturing, automotive, piping, etc engineer that give you more job opportunity.

So end day, you want to have more job opportunity or become a professional?
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing, today is my last day if I want to accept mech I don’t know, I’m already 80% done with matriculation to Nus

Well this part hope not too late to respond but as someone who went through direct year 2 for NUS electrical engineering, feel that it will be fast paced in particular without being able to cater for exchange programmes without being a mapping god as well as finances to go for those. Gotta expect workloads for 3 year programmes to be quite congested. Even for myself when handling modules, out of 4 semesters, 1 had 5 modules but 2 programming modules in one go with 3 other semesters juggling 6 modules approaching 23/25 MCs per semester. So it depends on which route you prefer like if want more activities and adding colour in your life, you will prefer going to NUS EE from year 1 as the pace will be slower and more relaxed. If not wrong NTU mech Engineering likely has 6 months internship while NUS EE think if start from year 1you might have a choice on 6 months internship need check those preferences you might have to clarify with the respective universities.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

But electrical modules are taught in mech, while electrical course won’t be having any mech modules... hais. Can I have ntu mech degree with the student life at Nus? already 80%done with matriculation... and today is my last day if I want to accept mech

In general look around you, more things are moving away from mech to electronics. Cars are going to electric in the near future.
Some stuff still must remain mech.
Electrical engineering you can move to software so a lot more flexibliblity there. Today big data etc are popular. I can do Mech and enter to become data science.

Uni wise many would go for NUS.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #8

But electrical modules are taught in mech, while electrical course wonít be having any mech modules... hais. Can I have ntu mech degree with the student life at Nus? already 80%done with matriculation... and today is my last day if I want to accept mech
Yeah think this one is up to you already. Cause already highlighted pros and cons. Feel electrical wise still quite relevant so it all depends which one youíll forsake for the other. Hardly have much scenarios for best of both worlds so all the best for your decision and depends which interest you too.
Pokraisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.