HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice on getting into SIT OT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #1

Need advice on getting into SIT OT

Hello. I have just graduated from poly this year with a GPA of 3.09 in Diploma of Medicinal Chemistry in NYP and i was rejected for this year's intake. Hence i decided to take a gap year. Now, i am studying in HMI Institute of Health Sciences (Therapy) to be a certified therapy assistant. From there onward, i would be working in a hospital under therapists and plan to apply again next year. However, the lecturers here have been very dis-encouraging, because only few managed to get in. Based on statistics, only 2 students with GPA 3.5 and above with Diploma in Sport Sciences managed to get in after 2 tries. (Worked for 2 years)

In addition to this, I plan to go volunteering as often as I can. So far I am starting out with Helping Joy. Does anybody have recommendations of where to volunteer on weekends? My course is Monday- Friday (845-545) so I am unable to volunteer on weekdays

Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on how to increase my chances to get an interview to get into SIT? I am really keen to be an Occupational Therapist, as it would enable my dreams and passion to help people medically since young.

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who replies this thread! It would be a really great help to me!!
Bodohpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #2

Hi, I have graduated from NYP this year too with a relevant diploma. Yes, from what I have gathered from my lecturers, only a few of my course mates managed to enter Allied Health programmes at SIT, where all of them obtained a Diploma with Merit.

Nevertheless, I applied and got into Occupational Therapy with a GPA of 3.35 after appealing. I feel that your personal statement plays a great role. (You could explain how did your interest in OT came about, any personal experiences, etc.) I started volunteering during the second year of poly at an external organisation on weekends to teach underprivileged children, so it is not exactly relevant to OT. Hence, any volunteering role would definitely help you, be it relevant or not. As to where to volunteer on weekends, you can try signing up for programmes under the Youth Corps.

Hope all these information helps and I look forward to seeing you as my schoolmate next year!
Aequorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

You do not needs to be certified therapy assistant from HMI or other Institutes to work as a therapy assistant. It does not help you to get into SIT cause end day, they still see your Polytechnic Diploma result.

You may want to consider getting another full time Polytechnic Diploma course or private GCE A to enter SIT OT? Or you study approved Degree from overseas in order to work as OT in Singapore? Sorry but you do not have other ways cause Singapore always like to limit Singaporeans when it come to better jobs like professional.

Hello. I have just graduated from poly this year with a GPA of 3.09 in Diploma of Medicinal Chemistry in NYP and i was rejected for this year's intake. Hence i decided to take a gap year. Now, i am studying in HMI Institute of Health Sciences (Therapy) to be a certified therapy assistant. From there onward, i would be working in a hospital under therapists and plan to apply again next year. However, the lecturers here have been very dis-encouraging, because only few managed to get in. Based on statistics, only 2 students with GPA 3.5 and above with Diploma in Sport Sciences managed to get in after 2 tries. (Worked for 2 years)

In addition to this, I plan to go volunteering as often as I can. So far I am starting out with Helping Joy. Does anybody have recommendations of where to volunteer on weekends? My course is Monday- Friday (845-545) so I am unable to volunteer on weekdays

Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on how to increase my chances to get an interview to get into SIT? I am really keen to be an Occupational Therapist, as it would enable my dreams and passion to help people medically since young.

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who replies this thread! It would be a really great help to me!!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #4

Hi, I have graduated from NYP this year too with a relevant diploma. Yes, from what I have gathered from my lecturers, only a few of my course mates managed to enter Allied Health programmes at SIT, where all of them obtained a Diploma with Merit.

Nevertheless, I applied and got into Occupational Therapy with a GPA of 3.35 after appealing. I feel that your personal statement plays a great role. (You could explain how did your interest in OT came about, any personal experiences, etc.) I started volunteering during the second year of poly at an external organisation on weekends to teach underprivileged children, so it is not exactly relevant to OT. Hence, any volunteering role would definitely help you, be it relevant or not. As to where to volunteer on weekends, you can try signing up for programmes under the Youth Corps.

Hope all these information helps and I look forward to seeing you as my schoolmate next year!
Hello! Thank you so much for sharing all these with me! I appreciate it alot! (: Hopefully i will see you next year! (:
Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #5

You do not needs to be certified therapy assistant from HMI or other Institutes to work as a therapy assistant. It does not help you to get into SIT cause end day, they still see your Polytechnic Diploma result.

You may want to consider getting another full time Polytechnic Diploma course or private GCE A to enter SIT OT? Or you study approved Degree from overseas in order to work as OT in Singapore? Sorry but you do not have other ways cause Singapore always like to limit Singaporeans when it come to better jobs like professional.
Considering time and money, the above options aren't really for me! Thank you for your advice regardless! I do agree that there are limitations, but i believe as long as you work hard with a goal in mind, anyone can achieve whatever they want as long they persist! Not everyone needs to go through the conventional ways. One can pave their own unique way to achieve what they want. The process might be blood-draining and tedious but the fruits of labors would definitely be worth it!(: For anyone out there with similar situation as me!
Old 07-08-2018, 12:58 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can consider try PCP-OT as last resort.

Considering time and money, the above options aren't really for me! Thank you for your advice regardless! I do agree that there are limitations, but i believe as long as you work hard with a goal in mind, anyone can achieve whatever they want as long they persist! Not everyone needs to go through the conventional ways. One can pave their own unique way to achieve what they want. The process might be blood-draining and tedious but the fruits of labors would definitely be worth it!(: For anyone out there with similar situation as me!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.