HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Like Tree362Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #2386

Hi All,

This forum has been extremely helpful thus far to all hopeful applicants. Thought I should share what I went through too to encourage others, especially those in similar situation.

I am currently still waiting for the interview results... *keeping fingers crossed* and yes, the wait is a torture because it certainly doesn't feel good to be rejected. Nonetheless, I was rejected once before so am hoping things will work out fine this time...

A couple of things to share :
1. Yes, I believe there is indeed a cooling period of 6 months after your initial application. Other than the reasons stated in this thread, I believe it could also be because the interviewers are the same? For my case, three out of the four interviewers are exactly the same as the one I attended a year back, only the HR personnel is a different person.

2. Should you be rejected, you will receive the email notification that your application is unsuccessful about a month after your interview session. The status will also be updated on your careers@gov website. That was what happened for my case last year... Can't advice on if your application is successful.

3. The essay question this time was different. Last year, it was something along the lines of 'You realised your colleague is holding other jobs outside of school hours and is affecting his performance in school, what would you do....'. This time, it was 'You overheard a group of students discussing about how a fellow teacher gave hints to a student with special needs during an examination. What would you do....'

4. A few of the interview questions that I remember include 'If you were the principal of the school, what kind of target/achievement/experience would you set for the school?', 'Do you know what are the job scope of a school teacher?', 'What challenges do you think you will face in your teaching career?', 'Do you know what you are suppose to teach in primary school art?', 'If the Math teacher were to approach you to give up your art session as he/she needs the extra hours to finish the Math syllabus, would you agree?', 'How would you convince someone who says Art is not as important as Math?' etc...

5. You will be given about 20mins to complete the essay before the interview proper. I would definitely recommend for you to arrive at least 15mins before your scheduled interview timing as the time allocation is pretty tight and we often need that extra time to cool ourselves down, in my opinion. Remember to bring all the necessary documents, especially ALL your yearly CPF statements if you have been working.

Hope the above helps.
persper likes this.

Last edited by rosemance; 31-07-2018 at 12:08 AM..
rosemance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #2387

Will getting relief teaching experience in schools help to increase the chances of getting accepted by MOE?
b4zabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #2388

Hi all, do anyone of you know how long the cooling period will be? Will it be 6 months or 1 application window? I was rejected in the Feb window, will be applying again this coming Aug window but i dont know if i will be considered for this coming window.
blahblahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #2389

Hi all, do anyone of you know how long the cooling period will be? Will it be 6 months or 1 application window? I was rejected in the Feb window, will be applying again this coming Aug window but i dont know if i will be considered for this coming window.
6 months from the rejection email.
lonely_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #2390

6 months from the rejection email.
For my case, I applied first time in Feb and got shortlisted for interview, but got rejected in May. Followed by reapplying in May, straight get rejected without interview in July.

Does that mean that I count the 6 months from May? But I will still be trying out the Aug window for the third time.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #2391

I attended the interview sometime in mid july. Hope i can get some answers here.

1) was told that it will take 4-6 weeks post interview to know the outcome. I have read through multiple entries in this forum and from what i understand, people who are rejected get to know the outcome first. Does this mean that people who are successful will only get to know it a bit later?

2) what is the current demand for teachers in MOE? Are JC and Sec school teachers more needed given the fact that pri schools are merging soon? Does that mean that people who have applied for primary schools will have a lower chance of getting in for the upcoming window period?

3) what exactly is MOE looking at in the hiring process? I have heard of people with first class honors and masters getting rejected eventhough they seem to think they had hardly put a foot wrong during the interview. Is the performance shown during interview > class of honors. Does class of honors even matter at all?

4) can anyone tell me the training involved in the allied educator (behavioural) program? Is it also very hard to get in?
Ridhwan1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #2392

I attended the interview sometime in mid july. Hope i can get some answers here.

1) was told that it will take 4-6 weeks post interview to know the outcome. I have read through multiple entries in this forum and from what i understand, people who are rejected get to know the outcome first. Does this mean that people who are successful will only get to know it a bit later?

2) what is the current demand for teachers in MOE? Are JC and Sec school teachers more needed given the fact that pri schools are merging soon? Does that mean that people who have applied for primary schools will have a lower chance of getting in for the upcoming window period?

3) what exactly is MOE looking at in the hiring process? I have heard of people with first class honors and masters getting rejected eventhough they seem to think they had hardly put a foot wrong during the interview. Is the performance shown during interview > class of honors. Does class of honors even matter at all?

4) can anyone tell me the training involved in the allied educator (behavioural) program? Is it also very hard to get in?
I can answer your first 3 questions based on what I experienced/know.

1) I applied for the Feb window, had interview in early March, but was only rejected in early May. So that's about 8-9 weeks for them to reject me. I saw people from my faculty who passed the interview received the shortlisted email within 4-5 weeks. But there are people who are rejected within 4-5 weeks also. So it depends.

2) I feel that MOE is cutting down on hiring teachers. JCs and Secondary schools are merging too, just like the Primary schools.

3) I have being rejected for their scholarship, internship and now PGDE too, so I don't know what they are looking out for. Yes, I have seen friends with first class honours getting rejected. I think it depends on the subjects you choose and the number of vacancy available in that window too.

Last edited by b4zabeat; 01-08-2018 at 09:01 AM..
Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #2393

1) I applied for the Feb window, had interview in early March, but was only rejected in early May. So that's about 8-9 weeks for them to reject me. I saw people from my faculty who passed the interview received the shortlisted email within 4-5 weeks. But there are people who are rejected within 4-5 weeks also. So it depends.

2) I feel that MOE is cutting down on hiring teachers. JCs and Secondary schools are merging too, just like the Primary schools.

3) I have being rejected for their scholarship, internship and now PGDE too, so I don't know what they are looking out for. Yes, I have seen friends with first class honours getting rejected. I think it depends on the subjects you choose and the number of vacancy available in that window too.
Oh man. Then i shouldnt harbour too much hope for this position. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #2394

For the answer to qn1 you gave, i reckon you were placed in the standby list. In case other candidates rejected the offer, you would have been offered the position. That must have been a long painful wait for you. The wait has been slowly killing me.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #2395

Oh man. Then i shouldnt harbour too much hope for this position. Thanks for the input.
You can still give it a try, just like me I am trying PGDE for the third time.

I can tell you that I seen friends with no honours who managed to get in last year. Most of the people I know who got in (excluding scholars) are posted to primary schools.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #2396

You can still give it a try, just like me I am trying PGDE for the third time.

I can tell you that I seen friends with no honours who managed to get in last year. Most of the people I know who got in (excluding scholars) are posted to primary schools.
Im a first class honors from ntu with a near perfect score. I thought that i would get me some good offers but i havent even received any offers from anyone yet. @@
Old 01-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #2397

Hi guys, had my interview few weeks back. i just checked my career@gov, and my status has just changed from in process to shortlisted. Anyone has any idea what do they mean by ‘shortlisted’ in this case?
Congrats! You have one foot in already from what i can understand reading the entries in the forum. Just curious, is this for the PGDE? Pri or sec sch? And interview was in early or mid june?

Last edited by Ridhwan1820; 01-08-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Old 01-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #2398

Congrats! You have one foot in already from what i can understand reading the entries in the forum. Just curious, is this for the PGDE? Pri or sec sch? And interview was in early or mid june?
Yeap it’s PGDE for pri. And my int was mid july.Hoping for the best! Will update if theres anything. Thank you and good luck to you
Happiness1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #2399

Yeap it’s PGDE for pri. And my int was mid july.Hoping for the best! Will update if theres anything. Thank you and good luck to you
16-20 july or the week after that? I had mine on the second week stated. Could be bad news..

Last edited by Ridhwan1820; 01-08-2018 at 02:06 PM..
Old 01-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #2400

Hi guys, had my interview few weeks back. i just checked my career@gov, and my status has just changed from in process to shortlisted. Anyone has any idea what do they mean by ‘shortlisted’ in this case?
Hello,May I ask which subject you applied for?
huangsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.