NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
If I’m you, I would apply and see how it goes. Get the offer letter first then request to defer?

Thanks for sharing! Does anyone have any idea how agreeable is MOE with deferment? Assuming i will inform them at the earliest possible date!

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
What are you working as? Why the sudden change to teaching?

I was working in the corporate sector previously when i graduated, changed to enrichment teaching to pursue my passion of teaching young children (and also to like have some time to really think about what i wanna do)

So i decided to go into formal teaching with primary school children! Mainly cos i really love to teach (i teach in my sch and i give pte tuition outside as well!), and its a stable career that I can count on for the rest of my life.

I know the challenges ahead are not easy, dealing with parents, P, VP as well as behavioural issues, but all these are real problems as opposed to "fake" problems in the corporate world..

Anyone else keen on sharing why they decided to teach? :)

And like if youre still enjoying it etc.. :)

Panda2082

Reaction score
Hi all! Congrats to those who got offered and finger crossed for those who r still waiting... :)

I have been reading up alot on NIE intakes forum etc and I have some questions! Would greatly appreciate any kind of response thank youu!!

1) It seems like it takes quite some time for MOE to process applications.. Was wondering if its possible for me to apply during the May-June 2019 window, and lets say i get offered, to request for sch stint to start in Dec 2020 (due to current job bond). Or is it likely that they will not allow me to defer so no point for me to apply during this window. (Assuming i will inform them immd once i get my offer letter/if they do ask about my current job bond etc)

Cos im worried about the long wait if i dont start applying early... Like if i wait till May 2020 to apply for Dec 2020 school stint, if i fail, i have to wait for 1 year later's intake. But if i fail the current May 2019 interview, i can try again in May 2020 for starting in Dec 2020.

So basically i can only start my school stint in dec 2020, if i apply in may 2019 window and get offered, will i be allowed to request for defer?

2) Does anyone have any idea how many people do they take in every window? I read somewhere that said 25+, and that seeems kinda little given the stiff competition...

3) What is a good way to answer questions regarding: how would u manage a class of rowdy kids? What if they dont do their hw, how do u manage them?

4) I unds that non-teaching related duties include admin work like updating progress report, meetings, cca, maybe planning events once in awhile etc (Is that anything i have left out?)

5) Any current teachers/contract teachers who can share their experience in their teaching journey? (Maybe like what to look out for to not burn out easily?)

Thanks for all your kind response!! :)

Hello! (Currently in NIE PGDE, did my contract in June-dec 2018)

1) not sure about how they go about deferring but I think they may be pretty understanding! Just need to email them andhkpe for the best. Just apply and see how it goes is my advice rly! You never know what will happen!

2) no idea exactly how many they take in at each window but the numbers vary from subject to subject. For example, Pri Eng/math will definitely take in more than a sec sch science subject combi. The humanities side takes up a really large portion of the cohort. I think the correct batch is made up of 2 application windows (September 2017 and Feb 2018) and there’s < 100 students in CS1 math & science (Chem, bio, physics) and over half of that are scholars!

3) definitely good to manage them through building a good teacher-student relationship. You could talk about how students face difficulties that we’re not privy to. We don’t know exactly what they’re going through. So we have to get to know them better and find out why they’re acting up. Constant scoldings/punishment is a v short term management solution.

4) haha I haven’t experienced the full workload so I can’t really add on to this list but I know you need to be in a committee in sch (not sure if this is across all schools) for example discipline committee or staff welfare.

5) just go in with a positive outlook. (Esp during contract teaching) don’t be scared to ask and learn as much as you can. As for the burning out, I don’t think I’ve taught long enough for me to say but the students so far have been amazingggggg. You really just want to do your very best for them! And so far so good :D

Hope this helps!!!!!

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
Hello! (Currently in NIE PGDE, did my contract in June-dec 2018)

1) not sure about how they go about deferring but I think they may be pretty understanding! Just need to email them andhkpe for the best. Just apply and see how it goes is my advice rly! You never know what will happen!

2) no idea exactly how many they take in at each window but the numbers vary from subject to subject. For example, Pri Eng/math will definitely take in more than a sec sch science subject combi. The humanities side takes up a really large portion of the cohort. I think the correct batch is made up of 2 application windows (September 2017 and Feb 2018) and there’s < 100 students in CS1 math & science (Chem, bio, physics) and over half of that are scholars!

3) definitely good to manage them through building a good teacher-student relationship. You could talk about how students face difficulties that we’re not privy to. We don’t know exactly what they’re going through. So we have to get to know them better and find out why they’re acting up. Constant scoldings/punishment is a v short term management solution.

4) haha I haven’t experienced the full workload so I can’t really add on to this list but I know you need to be in a committee in sch (not sure if this is across all schools) for example discipline committee or staff welfare.

5) just go in with a positive outlook. (Esp during contract teaching) don’t be scared to ask and learn as much as you can. As for the burning out, I don’t think I’ve taught long enough for me to say but the students so far have been amazingggggg. You really just want to do your very best for them! And so far so good :D

Hope this helps!!!!!

Thank u for your kind response! May I know what are u teaching? And like if youre a fresh grad or mid career applicant?

Laneyy

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Does anyone have any idea how agreeable is MOE with deferment? Assuming i will inform them at the earliest possible date!
Hi there, I have tried to email moe about deferment (due to my current bond with the company) and the HR told me that they will make the necessary arrangements to schedule me for the next available intake to begin the compulsory school stint if I can't start on the stipulated date.

Not sure how it really works but I guess need to wait for the offer letter first then negotiate with them. It should be possible if valid reason is given.

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
Hi there, I have tried to email moe about deferment (due to my current bond with the company) and the HR told me that they will make the necessary arrangements to schedule me for the next available intake to begin the compulsory school stint if I can't start on the stipulated date.

Not sure how it really works but I guess need to wait for the offer letter first then negotiate with them. It should be possible if valid reason is given.

Thank u for sharing your experience! So are u still waiting for them to get back to u?

And during the whole interview/application process, they were unaware of your bond? Did u only let them know after u got the offer? Thanks!! :)

Laneyy

Reaction score
Thank u for sharing your experience! So are u still waiting for them to get back to u?

And during the whole interview/application process, they were unaware of your bond? Did u only let them know after u got the offer? Thanks!! :)

No problem:) I just finished medical so still waiting for their updates. I told them about my situation after I got the medical email. They should be aware because before the interview you have to fill up a form stating your notice period if you are currently working.

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
No problem:) I just finished medical so still waiting for their updates. I told them about my situation after I got the medical email. They should be aware because before the interview you have to fill up a form stating your notice period if you are currently working.

Ohh I see! Did you indicate that you were still serving your bond when you filled the form? Or you just indicated the notice period as 1 month only?

Do u mind sharing your situation? Like your timeline of applying/interview/medical email etc and when your bond is supposed end?

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your situation with me! Thank u!

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
I think you're the only one who has asked these many questions thus far.

Was just asking because I am curious. But as I said, only if he/she is willing to share! Sharing is caring right!

But ofc I would unds if the user doesnt wanna answer, I was just asking~~

And isnt the point of an anonymous forum is for us to share info/ask questions etc? :)

Laneyy

Reaction score
Ohh I see! Did you indicate that you were still serving your bond when you filled the form? Or you just indicated the notice period as 1 month only?

Do u mind sharing your situation? Like your timeline of applying/interview/medical email etc and when your bond is supposed end?

I would greatly appreciate if you could share your situation with me! Thank u!
I stated notice period only but mine is 3 months as I'm currently working in an enrichment centre so it requires long notice period. However if yours is like almost a year i'm not sure about it??

This is my timeline for application:

Application: 10 Feb
Interview: 8 Mar
Medical: 3 May

Well if this time round one cannot make it for June/July the next intake for the school stint will be in Dec(aka Jan)??..However I rarely really see people talking about Dec contract teaching so ya..neither my NIE teachers friends. Shall just wait for MOE and see how LOL.

Last edited:

Panda2082

Reaction score
Thank u for your kind response! May I know what are u teaching? And like if youre a fresh grad or mid career applicant?

I’m a fresh grad! Graduated from NUS in May 2018 started contract teaching in June 2018 then entered NIE in Dec! I’ve a secondary school science combi!!

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
I stated notice period only but mine is 3 months as I'm currently working in an enrichment centre so it requires long notice period. However if yours is like almost a year i'm not sure about it??

This is my timeline for application:

Application: 10 Feb
Interview: 8 Mar
Medical: 3 May

Well if this time round one cannot make it for June/July the next intake for the school stint will be in Dec(aka Jan)??..However I rarely really see people talking about Dec contract teaching so ya..neither my NIE teachers friends. Shall just wait for MOE and see how LOL.

Ohhh i seee!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)
Anyways MOE's timeline is really packed right hahaha. It is already May but still not sure if gna start the contract teaching hahahha!

Panda2082

Reaction score
Ur timeline pls.

Wow this is tough it’s was a year ago!

Applied: 21st feb 2018
Interview: 14th March
Medical: 8th May
Signing of contract: 8th June
AOD date (I.e start date): 16th July
NIE bond signing: 3rd Nov
Last day of school: 22nd Nov
NIE start date: 3rd Dec

Ohgeesh

Reaction score
Hi,
Just completed my medical examination today at raffles. According to the timeline, some may get the offer letter by end of this week 17 May in time for 24 Jun teaching stint. Keep us updated if any one gets it OK? Thks!

Origamimosa

Reaction score
Hi,
Just completed my medical examination today at raffles. According to the timeline, some may get the offer letter by end of this week 17 May in time for 24 Jun teaching stint. Keep us updated if any one gets it OK? Thks!

There is another date; 15th July 2019.

Van272

Reaction score
MOE Recruitment

Hi!

Anyone knows if they would recruit SIT Accountancy graduate to teach POA/Math. like is SIT degree even recognised for them to even want us?

Passionate Teacher

Reaction score
I've a friend who went to ITE without O levels, then did diploma in poly. Now deciding to apply for DipEd. What are the chances? Is it a must to have O levels with 5 credits?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.