HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Like Tree322Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #3226

Life After MOE

Time really flies and it has been more than 4 years since I last visited this thread. I remembered browsing this thread when I submitted my application to MOE and like most members here, was nervous about the interview.

I'm writing to share my experiences about teaching and hopefully someone can gain some insight into the job and make better decisions for themselves.

The dreaded interview

When I was called up for the interview, I was offered PE and English. The way the interview was conducted was true to what had already been mentioned to death in this thread. There was the short presentation and I was interviewed by a panel of four people. Of course, there was also the short essay.

I remembered being rushed into the interview room before I finished the essay because the interviewers were tired of waiting for the admin to be done. Luckily, I was almost done.

The presentation was prepared beforehand. My suggestion is to pick something that is related to your teaching subject and at least demonstrate that you have the potential to deliver the content. It's a really short presentation so no worries there.

After that came the question and answer. Questions were really HR related questions like why did you choose to teach English. Note that you can't really prepare for this as questions do change depending on the interviewer. In my case, since I was already a mid-career change applicant, they asked me why I chose teaching as my second career. Also, be mindful of questions that test you on integrity issues - e.g. what would you do if you discovered a colleague leaking exam questions? Just think on your feet and come up with sensible answers and you'll do alright.

By the end of the interview, I kind of knew the interview was a success as they told me to quickly go take the fitness test.

The fitness test for PE teachers (skip this part if it doesn't apply to you)

The fitness test cannot be underestimated. I was in my late thirties when I took the test. This is NOT IPPT or NAPFA. Getting a gold in NAPFA does not guarantee a pass. Test takers have been known to fail the gymnastics and agility run component. Be sure to practise for those components on your own before taking the test.

Badminton as long as you can stroke and move well round the court you'll do alright. For the ball game, just run into space and keep communicating with your teammates. For swimming, there is no time limit. So just enjoy a relaxing swim.

Life in a secondary school

Life in school wasn't really bad. As a contract teacher, you are not really loaded with lots of duties. Of course, if you go through NIE to become a trained teacher, you will get more and more responsibilities. Your HOD will brief you on these details.

From my observations, teachers do indeed need to handle a fair bit of administrative work. About 60% of the time, they are engaged in operational issues - form teacher duties, CCA, marking, entering data, setting papers, manning special programs, etc. This isn't a bad thing if you enjoy these activities but they do take up quite a fair bit of your time.

As a result, teaching kind of takes a back seat. If you are looking purely to focus more on teaching, private tutoring is a more appropriate route. Besides, it's sometimes not within a teacher's control as to the type of students that they get. In most classes, there are always a handful of bad eggs that spoil the broth. They are hyperactive or have boundary issues and just disrupt lessons - thus making teaching less feasible and enjoyable.

I preferred to have more freedom in my teaching methods and spend more time teaching than handling operational issues. So I opted to go back to private tutoring after my contract stint.

Life as a private tutor

One of the perks of being a private tutor is NOT having more free time - it's being able to choose the students whom I can work with. If a student continues to misbehave despite numerous warnings and reminders, I have the option to drop the student. As a school teacher, this option is unavailable.

Although being a private tutor means that I'm not bogged down by school admin duties, it does mean that I have to take responsibility of other tasks such as student recruitment and resource creation. And both can be rather time consuming.

Next year will be my fifth year in private tutoring and for sure, there are ups and downs. However, considering everything, I still prefer being a private tutor as it suits me more. Maybe being a school teacher suits you better? Who knows. If you're really keen, just try it out.

Good luck to your interview and enjoy your teaching journey!
shiokbuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #3227

Did you apply for PGDE secondary or primary?

I'm still waiting after medical as well. Hoping the primary school briefing is at a later date!
someone i know is doing primary and his appt briefing is happening on the 20th!! but still hoping for primary briefing to be held sometime soon too haha
poppyave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #3228

I hope they call me up soon and there will be more than 1 apt briefing happening after 20thdec!
HD665JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #3229

Time really flies and it has been more than 4 years since I last visited this thread. I remembered browsing this thread when I submitted my application to MOE and like most members here, was nervous about the interview.

I'm writing to share my experiences about teaching and hopefully someone can gain some insight into the job and make better decisions for themselves.

The dreaded interview

When I was called up for the interview, I was offered PE and English. The way the interview was conducted was true to what had already been mentioned to death in this thread. There was the short presentation and I was interviewed by a panel of four people. Of course, there was also the short essay.

I remembered being rushed into the interview room before I finished the essay because the interviewers were tired of waiting for the admin to be done. Luckily, I was almost done.

The presentation was prepared beforehand. My suggestion is to pick something that is related to your teaching subject and at least demonstrate that you have the potential to deliver the content. It's a really short presentation so no worries there.

After that came the question and answer. Questions were really HR related questions like why did you choose to teach English. Note that you can't really prepare for this as questions do change depending on the interviewer. In my case, since I was already a mid-career change applicant, they asked me why I chose teaching as my second career. Also, be mindful of questions that test you on integrity issues - e.g. what would you do if you discovered a colleague leaking exam questions? Just think on your feet and come up with sensible answers and you'll do alright.

By the end of the interview, I kind of knew the interview was a success as they told me to quickly go take the fitness test.

The fitness test for PE teachers (skip this part if it doesn't apply to you)

The fitness test cannot be underestimated. I was in my late thirties when I took the test. This is NOT IPPT or NAPFA. Getting a gold in NAPFA does not guarantee a pass. Test takers have been known to fail the gymnastics and agility run component. Be sure to practise for those components on your own before taking the test.

Badminton as long as you can stroke and move well round the court you'll do alright. For the ball game, just run into space and keep communicating with your teammates. For swimming, there is no time limit. So just enjoy a relaxing swim.

Life in a secondary school

Life in school wasn't really bad. As a contract teacher, you are not really loaded with lots of duties. Of course, if you go through NIE to become a trained teacher, you will get more and more responsibilities. Your HOD will brief you on these details.

From my observations, teachers do indeed need to handle a fair bit of administrative work. About 60% of the time, they are engaged in operational issues - form teacher duties, CCA, marking, entering data, setting papers, manning special programs, etc. This isn't a bad thing if you enjoy these activities but they do take up quite a fair bit of your time.

As a result, teaching kind of takes a back seat. If you are looking purely to focus more on teaching, private tutoring is a more appropriate route. Besides, it's sometimes not within a teacher's control as to the type of students that they get. In most classes, there are always a handful of bad eggs that spoil the broth. They are hyperactive or have boundary issues and just disrupt lessons - thus making teaching less feasible and enjoyable.

I preferred to have more freedom in my teaching methods and spend more time teaching than handling operational issues. So I opted to go back to private tutoring after my contract stint.
Thanks for sharing, do you mind sharing how much they offered you during your training phase? I have received an offer but im not sure if its reasonable given my 5 years of work experience. Also its quite a significant pay cut from my current salary. But nevertheless i will be taking up the job.
Cesium-137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #3230

Hi, may I know which subject were you offered for?
HD665JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #3231

I’m sure there will be more appointment briefings coming up since there’s still approx 2 months to the starting date~

I hope they call me up soon and there will be more than 1 apt briefing happening after 20thdec!
Vanillachoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #3232

Iím sure there will be more appointment briefings coming up since thereís still approx 2 months to the starting date~
yes yes!! i think they go in batches if not mistaken. gonna scroll down and take a look. see if it was the same situation lol
Old 18-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #3233

wanted to draw your attn to this:

https://www.moe.gov.sg/careers/teach/how-to-apply/application-process-for-applicants-without-teaching-qualification/application-windows

for those who have done medical and still shortlisted, we still have hope! the latest date of offer will be on 3rd jan if they want us for the feb intake. hoping that we all make it!!!!
Old 18-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #3234

Hey, everyone.

I went for an MOE medical check up in May, but it was for the untrained counsellor position. I must have passed it because I was offered the job. However, I am still not called up for the medical check up for PGDE. Does anyone know if MOE RU and MOE HR share the same database hence I am not required to go for it? It is starting to worry me as the year is drawing to a close and I am still left hanging with no answers from MOE.
Origamimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #3235

Congrats!!

I applied during the Sep 18 window.
Got shortlisted for interview on 21th September
went for the interview in mid Oct
Received the medical on 22nd Nov
received the possible offer last friday at around 5pm.

my application was for PGDE(SEC).
Hopefully it helps.
Mamimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #3236

Anyone here starting their ITP in 20 Dec (Thurs)? Any idea what attire to wear?

I'm guessing it'll just be lectures and presentations(?).
GilaQila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #3237

Hey, everyone.

I went for an MOE medical check up in May, but it was for the untrained counsellor position. I must have passed it because I was offered the job. However, I am still not called up for the medical check up for PGDE. Does anyone know if MOE RU and MOE HR share the same database hence I am not required to go for it? It is starting to worry me as the year is drawing to a close and I am still left hanging with no answers from MOE.
Hi can I check what is the qualification required for the untrained counsellor position? Do you need to be accredited professional counsellor to apply for this position. Thank.
luohongxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #3238

Hi can I check what is the qualification required for the untrained counsellor position? Do you need to be accredited professional counsellor to apply for this position. Thank.
I have a BA Honours degree in Arts, and I have no prior counseling skills when I applied for the job.
Origamimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #3239

Tmr is 20th, anyone receive any news so far?
happybaby89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #3240

so im feeling really anxious because i have yet to go for medical after being shortlisted. feels like im the only one i dont know what my chances are at this point. just feeling really down.
nooz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.