HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #3331

What do you mean they will lump the applicants together?! And why?! Are we going to be considered in competition with newer shortlisted candidates? 😮
I do not mean to instill fear and more worry, I am only speculating that they might lump the applications together just like how they lumped the July 2018 batch with Oct 2018 batch. It could be a demand/supply situation.

I have friends who have gotten their letter of offer and are starting their contract teaching next month but were in the Oct batch whereas my application is still at a standstill, and I am from July batch.

Last edited by Origamimosa; 04-01-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Origamimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #3332

Sigh. Is it because of the difference in subjects? Really wonder what their process is like. 😰😰😰.

My sister who is a teacher was telling me that they are over-staffed at moe level but understaffed in schools. Maybe they are “unloading” those on unpaid leave etc first 😂

Have you done your medical btw?

I do not mean to instill fear and more worry, I am only speculating that they might lump the applications together just like how they lumped the July 2018 batch with Oct 2018 batch. It could be a demand/supply situation.

I have friends who have gotten their letter of offer and are starting their contract teaching next month but were in the Oct batch whereas my application is still at a standstill, and I am from July batch.
Mamimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #3333

Sigh. Is it because of the difference in subjects? Really wonder what their process is like. 😰😰😰.

My sister who is a teacher was telling me that they are over-staffed at moe level but understaffed in schools. Maybe they are ďunloadingĒ those on unpaid leave etc first 😂

Have you done your medical btw?
My friends that are starting their contract teaching soon teach a myriad of differing subjects such as pri art, sec Eng/lit and sec POA. I have not done my medical!
Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #3334

What do you mean they will lump the applicants together?! And why?! Are we going to be considered in competition with newer shortlisted candidates? 😮
Hey, did you receive any news?
Happiness1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #3335

Omg. That’s such a Long wait!!!

My friends that are starting their contract teaching soon teach a myriad of differing subjects such as pri art, sec Eng/lit and sec POA. I have not done my medical!
Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #3336

Would anyone know about the T&C regarding maternity leave and anything pertaining to getting/being pregnant during the contract teaching time or during PGDE studies? The deferment period, perhaps?

Last edited by Origamimosa; 05-01-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #3337

Would anyone know about the T&C regarding maternity leave and anything pertaining to getting/being pregnant during the contract teaching time or during PGDE studies? The deferment period, perhaps?
If I'm not wrong if you're pregnant during yr contract stint, u will still get yr maternity leave benefits - u will be paid while on maternity lv BUT if u are in NIE & started yr PGDE course & u get pregnant & need to go on maternity, u will be on no pay leave & may have to repeat the whole course, it depends on when u go for maternity, eg if end of term 1 then I guess u will have cleared term 1 already but again I may be wrong. I recall during the start of our PGDE briefing, the Asst Dean of PGDE course were saying that ladies who intend to go on maternity, pls consult his office to discuss the timing as trainees will be place on NoPayLv & this will hv an impact on both yr studies (graduation) as well as yr finances.

So better to go on maternity during yr contract as u will be covered.
To confirm this, u may want to email Asst Dean of PGDE programme Dr Eddie Chong <eddy.chong@nie.edu.sg>
juggernaut7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #3338

If I'm not wrong if you're pregnant during yr contract stint, u will still get yr maternity leave benefits - u will be paid while on maternity lv BUT if u are in NIE & started yr PGDE course & u get pregnant & need to go on maternity, u will be on no pay leave & may have to repeat the whole course, it depends on when u go for maternity, eg if end of term 1 then I guess u will have cleared term 1 already but again I may be wrong. I recall during the start of our PGDE briefing, the Asst Dean of PGDE course were saying that ladies who intend to go on maternity, pls consult his office to discuss the timing as trainees will be place on NoPayLv & this will hv an impact on both yr studies (graduation) as well as yr finances.

So better to go on maternity during yr contract as u will be covered.
To confirm this, u may want to email Asst Dean of PGDE programme Dr Eddie Chong <eddy.chong@nie.edu.sg>
Thank you so much for the information! This is extremely helpful! 😊😊
Old 08-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #3339
Arch-Supremacy Member

PE teacher is best position as MOE teacher

Same pay as other subject teachers

Got better chance of doing projects becoz that takes a lot of time and seriously, only PE teacher got time after school everyday

All other subjects, teacher need to spend a lot of time to do marking and lesson planning, admin etc

PE lesson planning is much more straightforward, mainly to gather equipment and settle logistics

While Mgmt will of course do their magic and ensure that all teachers put in a lot of work to be worth their monthly salary, performance bonus and year end 13th month

Still, PE teacherís workload is less stressful than other subject teachers

Likewise, art and music teachers are the same as PE teachers

Thatís why teachers who resign are mostly English, Math and Science teachers

If mother tongue teachers resign, they do it becoz they have better income giving enrichment or tuition classes

I have colleagues who do not even have sports background being accepted as PE teachers. I myself am not from a sports degree programme but I've playing sports and coaching most of my adult life. I'm thankful to have been accepted.

Last edited by blues7; 08-01-2019 at 04:02 PM..
blues7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #3340
Arch-Supremacy Member

From my understanding, PE Teacher needs to take up additional 1 or 2 subjects apart from PE.

PE teacher is best position as MOE teacher

Same pay as other subject teachers

Got better chance of doing projects becoz that takes a lot of time and seriously, only PE teacher got time after school everyday

All other subjects, teacher need to spend a lot of time to do marking and lesson planning, admin etc

PE lesson planning is much more straightforward, mainly to gather equipment and settle logistics

While Mgmt will of course do their magic and ensure that all teachers put in a lot of work to be worth their monthly salary, performance bonus and year end 13th month

Still, PE teacherís workload is less stressful than other subject teachers

Likewise, art and music teachers are the same as PE teachers

Thatís why teachers who resign are mostly English, Math and Science teachers

If mother tongue teachers resign, they do it becoz they have better income giving enrichment or tuition classes
Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #3341

Sharing my timeline in case anyone needs it in future:
Intake: 2018/19
17 july - interview
Mid nov - EPT
End nov - asked to go for medical
Early dec - EPT result
Second week of jan - received my offer letter via email.

Long wait, but worth it

Last edited by Happiness1234; 09-01-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #3342

Congrats! This was in 2018/2019? Yours is pgde?

17 july - interview
Mid nov - EPT
Early dec - EPT result

Long wait, but worth it
Old 08-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #3343

17 july - interview
Mid nov - EPT
Early dec - EPT result

Long wait, but worth it
Congratulations! Do you start contract teaching in Feb or in June?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #3344

Congrats! This was in 2018/2019? Yours is pgde?
Yes 2018/2019 pgde! And Iíll be starting in feb!

Last edited by Happiness1234; 09-01-2019 at 06:18 AM..
Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #3345

Hi guys, I will like to ask if anyone here knows the remuneration scheme during our contract teaching and nie studies?

Are we only entitled to monthly salary and 13th month? we do not have the PB and mid/end year bonus right?

Thanks!
HD665JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.