NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

90boat

Reaction score
Hello. For those who have done / are doing your untrained contract stint, may I know if you’re given the full teaching load, same as other teachers in the school? Will you be given a form class and co curricular responsibilities as well? Thanks.

I just completed the teaching stint and have gotten the offer to go nie. Like what the others said, you'll get to leave sch once sch ends( can be 2 or 2.30 depending on your sch). There is normally 1 day of cca and 1 day of meeting after school. So I get to go back early 3 times a week.

I am giving the full teaching load plus cca. But I am not given any committee work. Teaching load is totally fine. In fact I rather teach then stay in office doing nothing. Time pass much faster. For salary wise, the salary is posted on their moe website. But additional sums will be given for males who have served ns and for working experience.

kevinwallace

Reaction score
I just completed the teaching stint and have gotten the offer to go nie. Like what the others said, you'll get to leave sch once sch ends( can be 2 or 2.30 depending on your sch). There is normally 1 day of cca and 1 day of meeting after school. So I get to go back early 3 times a week.

I am giving the full teaching load plus cca. But I am not given any committee work. Teaching load is totally fine. In fact I rather teach then stay in office doing nothing. Time pass much faster. For salary wise, the salary is posted on their moe website. But additional sums will be given for males who have served ns and for working experience.

Hi may I know what subjects you teach? What are the expectations for an untrained teacher?

mayain

Reaction score
Anyone here under teaching stint and has still not received updates about NIE enrollment?

90boat

Reaction score
Hi may I know what subjects you teach? What are the expectations for an untrained teacher?

I don't really want to reveal what I teach else it's quite obvious who I am. Haha. But I teach in a secondary school in the West. But I believe expectations are the same no matter what you teach initially you won't be allowed to teach. You will just shadow a teacher, meaning you do lesson observations and writing notes. This would last anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. During this time you should ask any questions you have and take the chance to know the class(students name and who are the weaker and noisier ones), take note of how the teacher control the class. Your main expectations are to maintain positive discipline(not so easy). After this period you will go into Co teaching, where sometimes you will teach and other times the other teacher will teach(take turns lah), then if you are deemed good enough you will take classes on your own (the other teacher will not be there already). During my solo teaching (after I passed my assessments) be careful of Students that like to test you. I personally struggle with this even until today as I'm quite a friendly teacher. So students do try and push their limit with me and some do climb over my head. But overall, you must know the limit and control the class. Make sure students know your expectations. They do not use handphones in class, do not talk to one another for your 1 hour lesson(good luck enforcing this) and do not put their head on the table (sleeping). If any KP walks around and finds your class ill disciplined you might get into some trouble. Hopefully I didn't scare you lah. It's not that bad. I teach predominantly normal technical BTW, and they are a pleasant bunch(just very little interest in studies) , contary to popular beliefs.

kevinwallace

Reaction score
I don't really want to reveal what I teach else it's quite obvious who I am. Haha. But I teach in a secondary school in the West. But I believe expectations are the same no matter what you teach initially you won't be allowed to teach. You will just shadow a teacher, meaning you do lesson observations and writing notes. This would last anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. During this time you should ask any questions you have and take the chance to know the class(students name and who are the weaker and noisier ones), take note of how the teacher control the class. Your main expectations are to maintain positive discipline(not so easy). After this period you will go into Co teaching, where sometimes you will teach and other times the other teacher will teach(take turns lah), then if you are deemed good enough you will take classes on your own (the other teacher will not be there already). During my solo teaching (after I passed my assessments) be careful of Students that like to test you. I personally struggle with this even until today as I'm quite a friendly teacher. So students do try and push their limit with me and some do climb over my head. But overall, you must know the limit and control the class. Make sure students know your expectations. They do not use handphones in class, do not talk to one another for your 1 hour lesson(good luck enforcing this) and do not put their head on the table (sleeping). If any KP walks around and finds your class ill disciplined you might get into some trouble. Hopefully I didn't scare you lah. It's not that bad. I teach predominantly normal technical BTW, and they are a pleasant bunch(just very little interest in studies) , contary to popular beliefs.

Hello thank you for your detailed explanation:) I applied for PE teaching (finished interview) , now waiting for good news. I guess I'm worried on how we are being graded during the untrained teaching stint. After all we are untrained. Thank you for your advice!

bubbletean

Reaction score
Same here. I just received the email too. Which interview session were you in (PE or academic subjects?)
I received the EPT email too and went for PE interview. Anyone knows if EPT is required for those who chose PE as first teaching subj?

sbetta

Reaction score
I received the EPT email too and went for PE interview. Anyone knows if EPT is required for those who chose PE as first teaching subj?

I heard that only candidates who scored B3 for O level English and B for A level GP respectively will be exempted from EPT. It does not matter if your first teaching subject is PE or not.

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
Hii, i would like to clarify if anyone knows this - do i need to have a deg in maths to teach lower sec maths? I unds we have 2 choices, and i was thinking of choosing eng and maths (pri) as first and lower sec maths as second choice.

Also, during the contract teaching + NIE stint, our pay would be whats reflected on the website right? (2900-3500) its only upon graduating from NIE then we will get pay increment, is that right?

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, its rly helpful :)

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hii, i would like to clarify if anyone knows this - do i need to have a deg in maths to teach lower sec maths? I unds we have 2 choices, and i was thinking of choosing eng and maths (pri) as first and lower sec maths as second choice.

Also, during the contract teaching + NIE stint, our pay would be whats reflected on the website right? (2900-3500) its only upon graduating from NIE then we will get pay increment, is that right?

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, its rly helpful :)

For first question, no. From my observation, my friends who have a degree in Sciences and teaching Science subjects for CS1 sometimes will have lower sec Math as CS2.

Teacherwip

Reaction score
Hi Interviewee in sept, anyone received shortlisted email or status in the portal is changed to shortlisted?

earlgreymilktea

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just received the "we are still processing your app" email today.
Anyone knows what that means? I interviewed in end Sept and status is still 'In Process'.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.