HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Like Tree334Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #4441

In my case, I was tested more on the content. There was no disturbance frm the panel at all. Instead they raised hands n asked qns and after the 5 min was over, quite a few qns were asked on my content. So I wld say, depending on the panel, to be on the safe side, be prepared for both class mgmt and content.
That's interesting. Which subject did you had to prepare for?
ryoko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 12:05 AM   #4442

Hello to all. Does anyone know the structure of the 5 mins lesson presentation and if any tool of presentation is allowed? Thank you!
Nugeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #4443

That's interesting. Which subject did you had to prepare for?
Mine was Pri Eng. Like what the others had said, speak confidently during your presentation. Address the 'class' with a teacher's stature. Keep your content simple and straight to the point.
Ohgeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #4444

Hello to all. Does anyone know the structure of the 5 mins lesson presentation and if any tool of presentation is allowed? Thank you!
Did my interview in April and I printed out a poster with some simple diagrams. There’s whiteboard, markers and magnets available for you to use. You can’t use ICT tools eg. PowerPoint slides, showing videos etc.

My interview was short and simple, and the interviewers will roleplay as the “students”. I “taught” what I’ve prepared and asked my “students” to answer the question. The “students” answered my questions and did not challenge the class in any way. Heard that some of the “students” will do things to disrupt the lesson such as talking to each other, or asking questions about the content. So maybe you can prepare for scenarios like this and think about how you’ll react.

If possible, teach a topic which you’re interested in/have passion in. I was asked about why I choose the particular topic, and I had a long discussion on it with the interviewers.

All the best for your interview, and everyone else who’s reading this and preparing for interview too!
JSMHONG96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #4445

Did my interview in April and I printed out a poster with some simple diagrams. There’s whiteboard, markers and magnets available for you to use. You can’t use ICT tools eg. PowerPoint slides, showing videos etc.

My interview was short and simple, and the interviewers will roleplay as the “students”. I “taught” what I’ve prepared and asked my “students” to answer the question. The “students” answered my questions and did not challenge the class in any way. Heard that some of the “students” will do things to disrupt the lesson such as talking to each other, or asking questions about the content. So maybe you can prepare for scenarios like this and think about how you’ll react.

If possible, teach a topic which you’re interested in/have passion in. I was asked about why I choose the particular topic, and I had a long discussion on it with the interviewers.

All the best for your interview, and everyone else who’s reading this and preparing for interview too!
Thanks for your sharing and advice! Are we allowed to prepare worksheets to give to students?
Old 28-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #4446

I just found out that I got rejected for my relief teaching application. Has anyone come across this before?

Mid careerist and graduated from NUS 7 years ago. I had wanted to apply for a full time position but thought that I should try relief teaching first. What should I do now?

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Gatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #4447

Does anyone of you get a call yesterday (Friday)? The MOE HR asking some questions.
amyyee likes this.
chin_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #4448

I just found out that I got rejected for my relief teaching application. Has anyone come across this before?

Mid careerist and graduated from NUS 7 years ago. I had wanted to apply for a full time position but thought that I should try relief teaching first. What should I do now?

You can actually apply the PGDE on Career@Gov in Aug which is the full time position. If you successfully get offered, you will have a 1 year contract teaching starting in Dec, which is sort of like probation for you to try out and also for MOE to access your suitability. If at the end of contract teaching you do not wish to continue, it is ok because the bond only starts when you enter NIE for training.

For relief teaching, after you apply on the REMS portal and get approved, you need to go to schools to ask if they have vacancies. Rarely they will call you up. You can reapply for the relief teaching on 1 Jul under SRE in the REMS portal.
amyyee likes this.
b4zabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #4449

Does anyone of you get a call yesterday (Friday)? The MOE HR asking some questions.
Nope. What did the hr ask u? I'm still waiting. The due date is 12 July. Seems no chance.
Loveteaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #4450

U can try again. I'm a relief teacher in a school now.
Loveteaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #4451

Thanks for your sharing and advice! Are we allowed to prepare worksheets to give to students?
you can prepare posters/flash cards etc but probably best not to give out worksheets. there isn't much time when it comes to the lesson presentation!
poppyave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #4452

Those starting stint on 15 July, kindly update if you have gotten ur posting.
I have not. Have you?
Jollyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #4453

You can actually apply the PGDE on Career@Gov in Aug which is the full time position. If you successfully get offered, you will have a 1 year contract teaching starting in Dec, which is sort of like probation for you to try out and also for MOE to access your suitability. If at the end of contract teaching you do not wish to continue, it is ok because the bond only starts when you enter NIE for training.

For relief teaching, after you apply on the REMS portal and get approved, you need to go to schools to ask if they have vacancies. Rarely they will call you up. You can reapply for the relief teaching on 1 Jul under SRE in the REMS portal.
Thanks b4zabeat and Loveteaching. Called MOE and the CSO told me to apply again.

Will also apply the full time position in August. Was told that my rejection for the relief teaching application would have no bearing on the full time application.
Gatherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #4454

I went for the interview at 1st July and I am thinking to reapply for teaching during the August round if I didn't get a reply after 4-5 weeks time. Have anyone tried applying again in the immediate round before? Or do I need to wait for a certain period of time before I can reapply for teaching again?

Can anyone advice me?
jiajia343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #4455

you can prepare posters/flash cards etc but probably best not to give out worksheets. there isn't much time when it comes to the lesson presentation!
Okay, thank you for your advice!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.