HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Like Tree346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #5281

Hi everyone, been following this track as Iím considering a teaching career. Iím a mid-career, left work to stay home with kids for the past 3 yrs and am looking to go back to work next year.

I have some questions which I hope those of you who had started the untrained teaching stint can enlighten me on:
1. Howís the school hours like? I understand there will be a lot of paperwork and OT, but in general, we can definitely leave the school by 5pm? This is because I have to fetch my kids home from school and being able to leave by 5pm will be great. I donít mind bringing work home to complete in the evening.

2. For those of you who are mid career (sorry I canít send pm yet), will you mind sharing with me whatís the pay cut you experienced? I have about 10yrs of working experience in public service previously. I understand there will be a big pay cut; just want to get a sensing how bad it is going to be 😅

Thanks in advance!
Midlifecrisis83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #5282

When was your interview ?
Last Wednesday
whyiareyeeand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #5283

Hi everyone, been following this track as I’m considering a teaching career. I’m a mid-career, left work to stay home with kids for the past 3 yrs and am looking to go back to work next year.

I have some questions which I hope those of you who had started the untrained teaching stint can enlighten me on:
1. How’s the school hours like? I understand there will be a lot of paperwork and OT, but in general, we can definitely leave the school by 5pm? This is because I have to fetch my kids home from school and being able to leave by 5pm will be great. I don’t mind bringing work home to complete in the evening.

2. For those of you who are mid career (sorry I can’t send pm yet), will you mind sharing with me what’s the pay cut you experienced? I have about 10yrs of working experience in public service previously. I understand there will be a big pay cut; just want to get a sensing how bad it is going to be 😅

Thanks in advance!
Hi I'm currently doing my contract teaching stint. Was previously in consulting for 2 years before I made a switch so won't really consider myself 'mid-career'.

1. Depends on the school. I need to be in school by 715, and can only leave at 2pm. Some days you have meetings so this will end around 330 or 4 and can be twice a week. Cca depends if you get scheduled. Usually once a week and ends around 6 depending on which CCA (not often you get to choose). This leaves you with 2 days where you can end early - largely depends on yourself what time you want to leave.

2. There is a salary scale for newly appointed officers. Your salary will be in that range and you can't nego. They'll try to match it as you progress but don't expect it to take 3 years to match your 10 year experience in previous job since it may not be related. You won't be eating grass on the salary either. You'll be fine so don't worry about the pay cut.
Nnameless likes this.
octorabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #5284

Hi I'm currently doing my contract teaching stint. Was previously in consulting for 2 years before I made a switch so won't really consider myself 'mid-career'.

1. Depends on the school. I need to be in school by 715, and can only leave at 2pm. Some days you have meetings so this will end around 330 or 4 and can be twice a week. Cca depends if you get scheduled. Usually once a week and ends around 6 depending on which CCA (not often you get to choose). This leaves you with 2 days where you can end early - largely depends on yourself what time you want to leave.

2. There is a salary scale for newly appointed officers. Your salary will be in that range and you can't nego. They'll try to match it as you progress but don't expect it to take 3 years to match your 10 year experience in previous job since it may not be related. You won't be eating grass on the salary either. You'll be fine so don't worry about the pay cut.
Thanks for sharing, Octorabbit! Being able to leave by 5pm is good enough for me! I donít mind staying late once/twice a week for CCA. I understand it will take a long time to catch up to my previous salary, but Iím at a different stage in life now so thatís ok. Good to know I wonít have to eat grass though 😂.

Guess I will put in my application in the jan/Feb window 🤞🏻
Old 23-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #5285

Thanks for sharing, Octorabbit! Being able to leave by 5pm is good enough for me! I donít mind staying late once/twice a week for CCA. I understand it will take a long time to catch up to my previous salary, but Iím at a different stage in life now so thatís ok. Good to know I wonít have to eat grass though 😂.

Guess I will put in my application in the jan/Feb window 🤞🏻
Hey!! All the best!! I hope you'll get it! I was an intern at a primary school a few months ago and met a mid career teacher. She used to be from HR. She was telling me how its all worth it and it's a more fulfilling job. Sometimes it may be tiring no doubt, but at the end of the day she has no regrets. :-)
FabulousFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #5286

Hi @badchoices,
I took the EPT last year, passed and gotten an offer from MOE. However, due to timing, I had to turn down the offer and was told that should I pass the offer, I'll have to apply again in future in competition with other applications... So I am glad that they did not "blacklist" people who turned down their offer previously!
Oh I see.. thanks for sharing! What a pity regarding the timing though.. hope the timing will be better for you this time round
badchoices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #5287

Hey!! All the best!! I hope you'll get it! I was an intern at a primary school a few months ago and met a mid career teacher. She used to be from HR. She was telling me how its all worth it and it's a more fulfilling job. Sometimes it may be tiring no doubt, but at the end of the day she has no regrets. :-)
Thanks so much FabulousFarmer. Love that ppl here are so positive and encouraging =)
kaylelel likes this.
Old 25-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #5288

Hey all, did any fellow PE interviewee receive any updates regarding EPT or etc? If so, do share here
sbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #5289

Anyway, for anyone starting or is doing the stint, a word of caution.
There can be teachers who will try to push the blame on you, or try to put you down because you are untrained. Personally experienced this as my RO sabotaged me. I have to stay in my school another year before intake to NIE because of my RO and the sabotages done toward me.

Whatever you do, be careful.
Callmecherrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #5290

There can be teachers who will try to push the blame on you, or try to put you down because you are untrained. Personally experienced this as my RO sabotaged me. I have to stay in my school another year before intake to NIE because of my RO and the sabotages done toward me.

For such situations will we be paid for doing that one more year?
b4zabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #5291

Hello! Just wanted to ask if anybody applied for the Mid-Term Teaching Award! Iíve just gone for the interview, and have a psychometric test scheduled for next week.

My friends who took it previously only had to do the personality portion, but it seems that I will be doing the whole test, according to the email they sent. Anybody have the same experience? Please do share ):

Last edited by nugunugget; 25-10-2019 at 10:51 PM..
nugunugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 03:43 AM   #5292

Hi there! Did anyone who had their interview in Sept receive any update other than EPT availability? 😨
Teacherwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #5293

damn, that's rough. take care man.
nooz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #5294

yes. but the feeling is.. not very nice. to say the least.
nooz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #5295

Yes you will still be paid as you are being assessed and still working.
Callmecherrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.