HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Like Tree457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #7006

Yes I can attest to that. I personally know people who have failed their medical and passed EPT, and also those who passed their interviews without any teaching experiences too. Also, based on my experience, it doesnít guarantee that youíll pass the interview even if youíve had relief teaching experience. I was a relief teacher for a few months and even that didnít secure me a spot!!!
Yes I agree with that.Relief teaching may not guarantee employment also.
Crimson 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #7007
Supremacy Member

Yes I can attest to that. I personally know people who have failed their medical and passed EPT, and also those who passed their interviews without any teaching experiences too. Also, based on my experience, it doesnít guarantee that youíll pass the interview even if youíve had relief teaching experience. I was a relief teacher for a few months and even that didnít secure me a spot!!!
Wow. Looks like getting into NIE pdge is really, very competitive.

My ex colleague told me the acceptance rate to get into NIE bachelor degree programme is around 3%...

Thanks for the information
jeffrey745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #7008

Thatís very odd. I am very shock to hear this too. To get through the interview all the way to medical mean you tick all their criterias to be a teacher. I wish you good luck this time! I went for one interview too last year, but I knew I presented badly, wasnít even asked to take ept.

Hi yes I have attended MOE PGDE interview before.I was so close to getting in(so close as in I was told to go for medical and I went for my medical.Even passed my EPT and then all of a sudden came the rejection letter.I was shocked.Not only me.Many of us were also rejected after medical.I had no medical issues also.So nothing is confirmed until you receive the offer letter not even medical can guarantee you employment.After that I went to do relief teaching.I am still doing relief teaching and I am applying again with MOE.Lets see what happens.
Ellesse2704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #7009

Can I ask whatís the duty of a relief teacher? Do you need to do some actual teaching?
Yes schools still do hire relief teachers.Its best to email the schools directly to say that you are available for relief teaching.Email a few schools but be prepared to wait because it really depends on whether the school is in need of relief teachers at the moment.
Ellesse2704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:55 PM   #7010

Do i need to take EPT if I'm applying for pe teacher?
Renfred001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #7011

Can I ask whatís the duty of a relief teacher? Do you need to do some actual teaching?
Yes sometimes we are asked to do actual teaching.I have taught a class for one term.
Crimson 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #7012

Itís so tough getting in. And itís so disappointing when you are so close getting it. Just curious, does school still hire relief teachers? I sent in request for relief teaching but didnít get any reply from schools. Seems like even relief teaching is hard to get too.
I was a relief teacher last year. It actually took me a few years before I can get the chance to even get to do relief teaching. Might be easier to approach your own schools and ask your ex teachers if they are still there, but then it depends if there's space. If not, you have to really ask many schools yourself. Few will get back to you.
b4zabeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #7013

Yes I agree, relief teaching doesn't give you full gurantee that you will get accepted. I did relief teaching for 1 year. Also know a few people who did the same duration as me, but none of us get in.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #7014

It varies from school to school. Sometimes you just sit in (and try to teach) when teachers are on course or MC. This kind is the ad hoc kind so you won't follow through the same class.

The other kind is probably long term stick to the same class and get to teach properly and plan lesson, for instance when teachers on long term MC or maternity leave.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #7015

You are a relief teacher that is untrained so they won't expect you to be like the experienced teachers. Don't be scared or worried about making mistakes during your teaching, ask for feedback from the students on how their teacher usually teach.

Yes I agree with that.Relief teaching may not guarantee employment also.
Relief teaching experiences is quite common already. From the relief teaching experience, I guess they are not only looking at how well you teach, but also as a teacher, on how connected you are to the youths, how you are going to work with them and how well you understand students nowadays -> which can help you manage students.

For those who wants to try relief teaching for the time being, during your freetime, you could ask if you could join the form teacher lesson and see what's the usual practices done by teachers for difficult classes (when you share your experiences with the interviewers, it can show your keenness and differentiate you from the rest haha).

Do i need to take EPT if I'm applying for pe teacher?
Yes you have to, if you don't meet their English requirement.
Nnameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #7016

Exclamation How was your MK Experience like?

Hi! I attended the MK untrained MTL teacher interview in 2017. I was shortlisted after the interview and had to go through a 5-day attachment at a MOE Kindergarten to be further assessed by the centre supervisor for suitability. During the attachment, it is likely that she will be required to probably read a story to a class of children as well. The entire process was about 2-4 months?

The interview was a normal Q&A session with 2 interviewers. They asked usual questions like why you want to be a teacher and asked if thereís any experience in working with young children.

All e best!
Hi tissuepaperbox,

I have passed the MK untrained MTL teacher interview and is going for MK Experience(5 days attachment) soon at a kindergarten. Could you tell me how was it like for you and what would the staff require you to do there? Any tips for me that you think the assessors are looking out for.

Will appreciate so much for any help regarding to this!!!
ggms_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #7017

Hi tissuepaperbox,

I have passed the MK untrained MTL teacher interview and is going for MK Experience(5 days attachment) soon at a kindergarten. Could you tell me how was it like for you and what would the staff require you to do there? Any tips for me that you think the assessors are looking out for.

Will appreciate so much for any help regarding to this!!!
Hi may I know your timeline? Cos some of us are still waiting for interview
Helpmehelpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #7018

Hi may I know your timeline? Cos some of us are still waiting for interview
I submitted application on 13 june, they sent me an email on 26 june and asked if i could go for an interview on 2july. After the interview, they emailed me on 21 July, giving me dates to choose for MK Experience.
ggms_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:10 PM   #7019

I submitted application on 13 june, they sent me an email on 26 june and asked if i could go for an interview on 2july. After the interview, they emailed me on 21 July, giving me dates to choose for MK Experience.
Thanks for sharing!

@monmonshironeko I really wonder why ours is taking so long ..
Helpmehelpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #7020

Thanks for sharing!

@monmonshironeko I really wonder why ours is taking so long ..
Same. Iím feeling really concerned and worried tbh. Because crimson_18 is also in a similar situation as us I believe?
monmonshironeko is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.