HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NIE Master of Education programme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #1

NIE Master of Education programme

Hi all, I am a former preschool educator who was recently accepted by NIE. The programme I was offered is Master of Education(mathematics). I do not have the background in mathematics education, I am wondering what is the career prospect of this programme? What can I expect during and after the study of this course? Hope someone could enlighten me on this regard, actually any comment would be appreciated, thank you all in advance.
matrix1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

Thank you
Old 23-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #3

any thoughts?
Old 23-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

anyway i pm you regarding this.. u can check =)..
13nc13ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

Thanks for the message, I think I can not reply private message due to insufficient credit.
I intend to be a teacher for sure, but I do NOT know if study in NIE grant me an opportunity to teach public school in Sg, or do I still need to go through pdge, say if I do need to go through MOE selection, do I get any privileges if I own a master of education degree from NIE?

Last edited by matrix1234; 24-05-2018 at 08:14 AM..
Old 24-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

Thanks for the message, I think I can not reply private message due to insufficient credit.
I intend to be a teacher for sure, but I do NOT know if study in NIE grant me an opportunity to teach public school in Sg, or do I still need to go through pdge, say if I do need to go through MOE selection, do I get any privileges if I own a master of education degree from NIE?
ohh.. i forget got insufficient credit.. oops.. no i dont think Masters in Education can grant an opportunity.. must still go through PGDE via MOE selection.. till now no one knows if NIE Masters of Education have privileges.. I read somewhere in this forum (i tink NIE admissions) that someone have a Masters of Education too but failed to get an interview..

anyway if you are not good in Mathematics, how come they offer you? is it Secondary level?
Old 24-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #7

Sad to hear, I thought this programme will help me to land a public school teaching position in MOE and I was planning to change course from an Australia University. In that case, if not shortlisted by MOE, the only career opportunity might be working as a Maths tutor? I am not sure why they offer me, not that I am not good in Maths but I DO NOT have background in it, they offered me probably cos they value my experience in the same industry I suppose?
Old 24-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Sad to hear, I thought this programme will help me to land a public school teaching position in MOE and I was planning to change course from an Australia University. In that case, if not shortlisted by MOE, the only career opportunity might be working as a Maths tutor? I am not sure why they offer me, not that I am not good in Maths but I DO NOT have background in it, they offered me probably cos they value my experience in the same industry I suppose?
but maybe u are lucky? just try apply? do you like to teach Maths? or are u already teaching Maths? usually i tink this course is for people who already in teaching and wanna improve the methods of teaching maths? but yeah there are many tuition centres offering full time position.. i am teaching in one while still trying to get in MOE..
Old 25-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #9

ohhh, I see, yea, maybe,haha. But now I am in dilemma, dont know where to go.

How is working in tuition centers in Singapore like? YES, I am teaching all subjects in AUstralia now. I guess I do enjoy teaching Maths.
How many times have you applied for MOE if you do not mind me asking? Is the selection quite competitive??
Old 25-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

ohhh, I see, yea, maybe,haha. But now I am in dilemma, dont know where to go.

How is working in tuition centers in Singapore like? YES, I am teaching all subjects in AUstralia now. I guess I do enjoy teaching Maths.
How many times have you applied for MOE if you do not mind me asking? Is the selection quite competitive??
cuz i tink maybe ur working experiences might be an added edge for you.. u are Singaporean but working in Australia? tuition centres are generally quite relaxed cuz class size is small, unless you are teaching in bigger tuition centres.. of cuz must know the syllabus.. if not students will worry.. i have applied for 16 times already but not once got called up.. and yeah the selection is competitive..
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #11

ohh.. i forget got insufficient credit.. oops.. no i dont think Masters in Education can grant an opportunity.. must still go through PGDE via MOE selection.. till now no one knows if NIE Masters of Education have privileges.. I read somewhere in this forum (i tink NIE admissions) that someone have a Masters of Education too but failed to get an interview..

anyway if you are not good in Mathematics, how come they offer you? is it Secondary level?
I guess the person you mentioned here is me. haha
Anyway, when i applied for NIE the previous time was when i have not gotten my final sem results. Not sure if this is the reason they rejected me? But for this current opening, i applied with all my transcript and degree cert ready. Hope it will make a difference. *pray hard*
ballo0ngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #12

cuz i tink maybe ur working experiences might be an added edge for you.. u are Singaporean but working in Australia? tuition centres are generally quite relaxed cuz class size is small, unless you are teaching in bigger tuition centres.. of cuz must know the syllabus.. if not students will worry.. i have applied for 16 times already but not once got called up.. and yeah the selection is competitive..
I wanted to reply in msges but apparently i cant. due to the low amount of posts. will reply your pm after i reached the amount. haha
Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #13

hihi, i think even if can get through MOE selection, i think will still need to go through pgde even have masters cos the contents are quite different.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.