NTU Business (Marketing) or SMU Business Management (Marketing)?

wonderouslife

Reaction score
I’m conflicted between the two and which to choose! I need some advice thank you :)

Pros of NTU: 3 years with direct honours
Pros of SMU: 4 years with double degree and direct honours

The reason why i feeo so conflicted is because i dont know if i wanna spend 4 years studying? But then SMU seems to provide a good deal by giving students a double degree with direct honours even though it is not confirmed that one would get a double degree or direct honours! Thats why i feel like maybe NTU is better because i only have to do 3 years and get a possible direct honours?

Plus another thing i am concerned about is the school culture because im from Ngee Ann Poly mass comm which is full of loud noisy fake **** that i am really used to just a bunch of over friendly bitches :) and right here it seems like SMU might seem like a better fit but i really dont know??

So I just wanted some advice based academically and socially how it would be like in each school? Whether one or the other school is better in business marketing etc.

Thank you!!!

AnimalPlanet

Reaction score
I’m conflicted between the two and which to choose! I need some advice thank you :)

The reason why i feeo so conflicted is because i dont know if i wanna spend 4 years studying? But then SMU seems to provide a good deal by giving students a double degree with direct honours even though it is not confirmed that one would get a double degree or direct honours! Thats why i feel like maybe NTU is better because i only have to do 3 years and get a possible direct honours?

Plus another thing i am concerned about is the school culture because im from Ngee Ann Poly mass comm which is full of loud noisy fake **** that i am really used to just a bunch of over friendly bitches :) and right here it seems like SMU might seem like a better fit but i really dont know??

So I just wanted some advice based academically and socially how it would be like in each school? Whether one or the other school is better in business marketing etc.

Thank you!!!

I don't think NBS is as loud as SMU in terms of culture. It sure is competitive though. Ask urself this question. Would u rather a high gpa but single degree or a mediocre gpa but double degree? The reason why I am asking this is it is a universal fact that doing double degree takes up way more time than doing single degree. Are you willing to forgo CCAs and social life?

The bad things I have heard about NBS include China scholars who wreck bell curves and the trend of them using online modules to conduct classes. Despite being a mere 3 years direct honours course, I know of people who could afford to take LOA for a semester to do internships and they could still graduate on time (by overloading other semesters)

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personal 2 cents..

Generally poly students suit the NTU culture more...

but Ngee Ann's Mass Comm, if the culture is what I heard of before and haven't changed in the past 6 years, think you'll suit SMU more.

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The bad things I have heard about NBS include China scholars who wreck bell curves

I hear this is quite common in Engineering, but nope, never come across any super powerful china scholars during my time in NBS.

AnimalPlanet

Reaction score
I hear this is quite common in Engineering, but nope, never come across any super powerful china scholars during my time in NBS.

Hmmm , did you meet any foreign scholars? I am under the School of Social Science and the only scholars we are fighting are local Singaporean scholars who did well for A levels

AnimalPlanet

Reaction score
Personal 2 cents..

Generally poly students suit the NTU culture more...

but Ngee Ann's Mass Comm, if the culture is what I heard of before and haven't changed in the past 6 years, think you'll suit SMU more.

I also agree that Poly students suit the NTU culture more. Most of my poly friends did better generally in year 1 as compared to JC grads who were still lost on the uni system

tf2noobz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A lot of my friends say the double degree is very hard. I think its more of a culture thing. If you are outspoken, then smu will be better. Dont focus on double degree too much. Also take into account travelling time. If you live in the east, you will be crazy to go ntu, unless you want to waste 6 hrs travelling back and forth.

Sent from Bedok Reservoir using GAGT

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thank you!!!

got offer from both places? the ball in your court?
if not let the school choose U

estoppel

Reaction score
I guess both degrees are generally ok.

my wife was from NBS marketing and my cousin was from SMU doing marketing. my wife is doing very well in the FMCG sector.

I can only share if you are interested in being a marketer in FMCG, the double degree may not necessary give you a extra competitive edge. Most important is to secure a good internship with those large FMCG companies and doing well in internship.

any local degree from the big 3 stands equal chance.

tf2noobz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess both degrees are generally ok.

my wife was from NBS marketing and my cousin was from SMU doing marketing. my wife is doing very well in the FMCG sector.

I can only share if you are interested in being a marketer in FMCG, the double degree may not necessary give you a extra competitive edge. Most important is to secure a good internship with those large FMCG companies and doing well in internship.

any local degree from the big 3 stands equal chance.
Do they look down on suss or sit grads :(

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most of the time, you will not use 2 degree to look for a job.

For example, if you have a law degree, you can use it to become a lawyer or business related jobs.

If you have an accounting degree, you can use it to become a accountant or business related jobs.

And if you have a law and accounting degree, you can only end up with one job such as lawyer or accountant but unlikely both.

Some more you are talking about one of the less value degree major such as Business (marketing).

So no point getting a double degree if you cannot get good result or cannot even graduate.

Just get a 3 years degree and move on with your life.

Thank you!!!

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my best understanding, as long as you are not from Big3 (NUS, NTU, SMU), you may not have the same standing as them especially in public sector and some private sector.

Do they look down on suss or sit grads :(

tf2noobz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my best understanding, as long as you are not from Big3 (NUS, NTU, SMU), you may not have the same standing as them especially in public sector and some private sector.
So things like banks are probably out of the question then? :(

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bank have a lot of jobs and if you are talking about selling insurance, they do accept distance learning degree.

So things like banks are probably out of the question then? :(

lidocaine

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NUS NTU or SMU still lose to CECA... :(
Not even talking about arts degrees.

Occifer&Gentleman

Reaction score
Go audit the classes (sit in the lessons). Particularly the seminar/sectional teaching classes. This allows you to make an informed decision on cultural fit.

*Side note - why not NUS? lmk if you wish to audit NUS Biz classes. Happy to coordinate with the Profs for you :)

wonderouslife

Reaction score
Go audit the classes (sit in the lessons). Particularly the seminar/sectional teaching classes. This allows you to make an informed decision on cultural fit.

*Side note - why not NUS? lmk if you wish to audit NUS Biz classes. Happy to coordinate with the Profs for you :)

Hahaha idk if i can qualify to get in :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.