HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU Hall 2018

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2018, 01:06 AM   #1

Smile NTU Hall 2018

Hi, I'm a freshman entering NBS this year, and i'm planning to stay in hall. Looking for a female roommate(preferrably a non-smoker), pls pm me if you're keen! Btw, does anyone knows anything about which halls have better hall life etc? and also, is there alot of difference for a room with/without aircon?
lookingforaroomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:22 AM   #2

Hi, I'm a freshman entering NBS this year, and i'm planning to stay in hall. Looking for a female roommate(preferrably a non-smoker), pls pm me if you're keen! Btw, does anyone knows anything about which halls have better hall life etc? and also, is there alot of difference for a room with/without aircon?
hi! I am a freshmen too entering NBS, which hall are you going for?
Brooklyn2615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

Looking for a roomie too!

Hey there! I'm a freshie entering NTU SoH and looking for someone to room with too! I'm a female, non-smoker and I don't club at all though I do drink occasionally if friends ask to go out. Do reply if you're keen
catjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

YES. Non-aircon rooms can get really stuffy and I would not recommend it for those who are very picky when it comes to sleep. As someone who lived in a non-aircon room for the past year, I had to get a small table fan to further cool myself down as I find myself sweating in the room when it is hot. However, I think my hall is very subjected to the weather, so when it rains, it can get colder.

My hall is one of the newer halls which has a not so hapz hall life, but the committee tries to provide activities and platforms for residents to meet and bond. It is really up to the residents whether or not they want to seize it as there are many people in my hall who phantom anyway. What is good hall life is subjective anyway - do you want to commit yourself to hall activities almost every other day? Or do you want a good balance between hall activities and school? The older halls definitely have more established CCAs, whereas the newer halls don't, but most people don't go to the newer halls with the expectation to be very involved.

Anyway, I thought freshie cannot choose which hall you go? You get randomly assigned right? But please please - go for your Hall FOC!! I cannot stress this more - you don't, you will practically lead a phantom life because it will be very difficult to get to know your seniors and meet more people in the hall.
Brooklyn2615 likes this.
geeniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

Anyway, I thought freshie cannot choose which hall you go? You get randomly assigned right? But please please - go for your Hall FOC!! I cannot stress this more - you don't, you will practically lead a phantom life because it will be very difficult to get to know your seniors and meet more people in the hall.
Freshie here. Can't choose hall, but can state what kind of room you prefer and whether aircon or non-aircon. Doesn't mean will get though.

With regards to the Hall FOC part, is it open to everyone? I heard certain kinds of camp choose people based on popularity so they look at your social media profile?
Definitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #6

YES. Non-aircon rooms can get really stuffy and I would not recommend it for those who are very picky when it comes to sleep. As someone who lived in a non-aircon room for the past year, I had to get a small table fan to further cool myself down as I find myself sweating in the room when it is hot. However, I think my hall is very subjected to the weather, so when it rains, it can get colder.

My hall is one of the newer halls which has a not so hapz hall life, but the committee tries to provide activities and platforms for residents to meet and bond. It is really up to the residents whether or not they want to seize it as there are many people in my hall who phantom anyway. What is good hall life is subjective anyway - do you want to commit yourself to hall activities almost every other day? Or do you want a good balance between hall activities and school? The older halls definitely have more established CCAs, whereas the newer halls don't, but most people don't go to the newer halls with the expectation to be very involved.

Any idea which hall is better?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:06 AM   #7

NTU HALL

Actually, why do freshmen enjoy staying hall? Able to hear some honest opinions?
Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Actually, why do freshmen enjoy staying hall? Able to hear some honest opinions?
I feel that staying in hall during your uni days is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can't miss out on because it is this point in time of your life that you actually get to be independent in the absence of your parents (I have a helicopter single mother who keeps pushing me to go for a twin-sharing but I've already submitted my application with single room as a preference and she even asked if she could sleep with me in hall if she could lolol - no way that's gonna happen.) It's also the time when you start to meet tons of new people here with a great plethora of unique personalities - you're going to be part of a university community which is a far-cry from the smaller cohort sizes you've had from your primary school days up to poly/JC days. You're gonna be meeting not just your average Singaporean friends but also international students from all around the world who come here for exchange programmes or to study in NTU for their 4 years. I would say this is a good time for you to bring out the inner extrovert in you and get socializing because you never know when these contacts may come in handy when you start looking for a job! This isn't limited to just students, but many of your professors too come from different parts of the globe. I'm seriously hyped and looking forward to interacting with them, and I can't wait to start my uni life!!! This is just my opinion though, I'm a freshie just like you but all the things I've been hearing about student hostels are gathered from my friends who've already experienced hall life not just in the local unis, but in London, Taiwan and NZ. (:
Brooklyn2615 likes this.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

I feel that staying in hall during your uni days is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you can't miss out on because it is this point in time of your life that you actually get to be independent in the absence of your parents (I have a helicopter single mother who keeps pushing me to go for a twin-sharing but I've already submitted my application with single room as a preference and she even asked if she could sleep with me in hall if she could lolol - no way that's gonna happen.) It's also the time when you start to meet tons of new people here with a great plethora of unique personalities - you're going to be part of a university community which is a far-cry from the smaller cohort sizes you've had from your primary school days up to poly/JC days. You're gonna be meeting not just your average Singaporean friends but also international students from all around the world who come here for exchange programmes or to study in NTU for their 4 years. I would say this is a good time for you to bring out the inner extrovert in you and get socializing because you never know when these contacts may come in handy when you start looking for a job! This isn't limited to just students, but many of your professors too come from different parts of the globe. I'm seriously hyped and looking forward to interacting with them, and I can't wait to start my uni life!!! This is just my opinion though, I'm a freshie just like you but all the things I've been hearing about student hostels are gathered from my friends who've already experienced hall life not just in the local unis, but in London, Taiwan and NZ. (:
Wow your mum very protective arh But idk if I want the single room or double, cuz abit jaded living with yet another guy now that NS is over
Brooklyn2615 likes this.
fitzerspaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #10

Wow your mum very protective arh But idk if I want the single room or double, cuz abit jaded living with yet another guy now that NS is over
ya lolol if i took a twin-sharing, she insists on visiting me every few weeks. If I took single, she says she'll try to sleep with me lolol i mean, i understand her concern uh but i won't learn to be independent if she keeps butting in lololol. I'm also still stuck between single or double... I just submitted my application for single first in case.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

ya lolol if i took a twin-sharing, she insists on visiting me every few weeks. If I took single, she says she'll try to sleep with me lolol i mean, i understand her concern uh but i won't learn to be independent if she keeps butting in lololol. I'm also still stuck between single or double... I just submitted my application for single first in case.
Your mum honestly can't sleep in with you. It is illegal to squat. Besides, the single-sized bed is too small for the both of you. Are you going back on the weekends? If yes, it will probably ease her anxiety a bit better.

Any idea which hall is better?
All halls are good halls. Seriously. It depends on what you want as each hall has some minimum facilities. The oldest halls don't have the best facilities but have the best price, Hall 7 is very ulu but in walking distance to SPMS and The Hive (SSS/SoH), so most of the students I know are from these schools. There are the sports halls, like Hall 16, where they may request you move over if you are in the school team to play for their hall. Then there are the more kampong-halls, Hall 8-11 where everything is more chill. And there's the newer halls, best in facilities, but not the most established in CCAs. Anyway, as a freshie you can't pick your hall, and a good number I know got very attached to their hall and didn't want to change halls after that.

Go for your hall FOC! You can skip all your major/union FOCs but not your hall FOC if you want a somewhat fulfiling hall life.

Freshie here. Can't choose hall, but can state what kind of room you prefer and whether aircon or non-aircon. Doesn't mean will get though.

With regards to the Hall FOC part, is it open to everyone? I heard certain kinds of camp choose people based on popularity so they look at your social media profile?
Yes, NTU has made it clear this year it should be open to all. The choosing part, I can't divulge much but don't worry if yours is private. GLs pick so that they get some more hyper campers to make up for the less high campers. If you go with an open mind and participate actively, it should be fun.
Brooklyn2615 likes this.
geeniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #12

Your mum honestly can't sleep in with you. It is illegal to squat. Besides, the single-sized bed is too small for the both of you. Are you going back on the weekends? If yes, it will probably ease her anxiety a bit better.

All halls are good halls. Seriously. It depends on what you want as each hall has some minimum facilities. The oldest halls don't have the best facilities but have the best price, Hall 7 is very ulu but in walking distance to SPMS and The Hive (SSS/SoH), so most of the students I know are from these schools. There are the sports halls, like Hall 16, where they may request you move over if you are in the school team to play for their hall. Then there are the more kampong-halls, Hall 8-11 where everything is more chill. And there's the newer halls, best in facilities, but not the most established in CCAs. Anyway, as a freshie you can't pick your hall, and a good number I know got very attached to their hall and didn't want to change halls after that.

Go for your hall FOC! You can skip all your major/union FOCs but not your hall FOC if you want a somewhat fulfiling hall life.

Yes, NTU has made it clear this year it should be open to all. The choosing part, I can't divulge much but don't worry if yours is private. GLs pick so that they get some more hyper campers to make up for the less high campers. If you go with an open mind and participate actively, it should be fun.
Oh wow! I see! Just curious, does everyone stays in from monday to friday? hmm, it feels like NS all over again hehe xD
Old 07-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #13

of course, that's my plan if i ever stay in hall. Just need her to work on her trust in me HAHAHA and i'm trying to drill the fact that it's illegal squatting if she does stay into her thick skull = = oh well.
Brooklyn2615 likes this.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #14

Smile

Looking for male roommate I am a non smoker, entering NBS. If you are as well, can PM me or email at ven_ong@hotmail.com
Reznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #15

Hello! I'm looking for a female roommate, entering NBS this August! I don't smoke/club, occasional drinker. Do reply/pm me if you are keen!
bubbles98 likes this.
xxxxne is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.