NTU/NUS/SMU 2012-2013 Intake

felinhg

Reaction score
Haha yeah! If I find my acceptance letter I'll scan it in for you guys. :) Don't give up!

Do you mind me asking what course you applied for and how you felt the interview went? I'm just a curious little creature. =:p

I applied for communication studies..
Unfortunately I feel that the interview didn't go as well as I wanted it.
BUT IT'S OKAY. I'm hoping for the best still! Hahaha...

Icetray

Master Member
Reaction score
Well no news is always good news! :) Have you secured a place in any of the other universities yet?

ameliepoulain

Reaction score

hey there! i went for comm studies interview on 5 july and i just got my acceptance email today! pretty late huh. yours could be on its way. good luck :)!

alanchuasg

Reaction score
That is what most people think including me. However what are your friends with the sim diploma/degree doing now?

If they are doing well then maybe it is not a bad choice going for other degree. Basically how I rank "doing well" is from pay...i've been researching degree holder pay since I got my smu appeal rejected (beside for ntu appeal, still waiting!)
If someone with private degree with few year/no experience, a pay of around 3k would be "successful" to my standards la...

I read somewhere that unisim is the 4th placed uni in SG (not sure now after the introduction of SUTD and SIT)

The other route is to get working experience then apply again which is what i'm planning now. Aiming for next year ntu/smu with near 2 years relevant IT working experience and if i'm in, i'll be 31 if I get my degree :o

How much can a First Class Honor Degree fetch you in the long run. Ultimately, I think a degree is just a degree unless you are aiming for govt sector. Remember, working in govt sector is only good during crisis. During good time, a MNC can fetch you a much higher pay. Ever seen a diploma holder who don't have a degree earning near 5 digits salary. I seen cases myself. A company may not even see your degree after some times if you are from a reputable MNC with expert skill in your area. Although I am a Singaporean, the problem with local uni grad is that most people want to go straight to mgmt position after 2 year working. THis is not going to work, you will need to put in the hours in order to earn the high salary and position. I believe some had seen FT capability compared to Singaporean. Just have to admit some are really good compared to us. So that just train our skills up. Time will tell if a person with a local degree is really good or only with a nice degree with honors. I will not want a honor local grad who can only speak theory. Just my 2 cents thoughts. Please do not get offended. :)

farrerwave

Reaction score
hi guys, i would like to get a rough gauge of the poly GPA cut-off point for this year's SMU intake for the business and social sciences course. thanks in advance!

jameskoay

Reaction score
hi guys, i would like to get a rough gauge of the poly GPA cut-off point for this year's SMU intake for the business and social sciences course. thanks in advance!

i think your best bet would be to wait for the actual release of the university's IGP 2012 :)

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much can a First Class Honor Degree fetch you in the long run. Ultimately, I think a degree is just a degree unless you are aiming for govt sector. Remember, working in govt sector is only good during crisis. During good time, a MNC can fetch you a much higher pay. Ever seen a diploma holder who don't have a degree earning near 5 digits salary. I seen cases myself. A company may not even see your degree after some times if you are from a reputable MNC with expert skill in your area. Although I am a Singaporean, the problem with local uni grad is that most people want to go straight to mgmt position after 2 year working. THis is not going to work, you will need to put in the hours in order to earn the high salary and position. I believe some had seen FT capability compared to Singaporean. Just have to admit some are really good compared to us. So that just train our skills up. Time will tell if a person with a local degree is really good or only with a nice degree with honors. I will not want a honor local grad who can only speak theory. Just my 2 cents thoughts. Please do not get offended. :)

Haha did not expect someone to reply to my post quite sometime ago....

Anyway i've scrapped the idea of going the local uni next year. As of now working as an IT programmer and already applied (and got accepted) to unisim January intake.

madcrazy123

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm currently a year 3 student, studying integrated events and projects management in Singapore Poly and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what are my chances of getting into NTU business if i continue to maintain a GPA of 4.0.
My L1R4 is 7, L1R5 is 9. I had A for O level Amaths.
Would i have to go through the interview? or/and take the maths test as well?

nikeey

Reaction score
tell u something that my seniors in NUS told me, they like to go SMU for student exchange and pwn the students there. =)

hi quoting from seniors is not a way for u or anyone to gain any sort of credibility in your inference. Unless you personally come to SMU for exchange, you will never be able to substantiate that sentence u spoke with so much conviction.

personally i know of this double deg guy in NUS (biz and real estate). he was in awe at the quality of the students in SMU. he admitted that students in NUS are afraid to let people know that they are smart, for fear of competition. In SMU, we are not afraid, in fact we have to show we know our stuff.

I am not here to salvage any formed perception, but to let u see a point. no point hanging on people's bragging rights. If you are truly capable, you can survive anywhere. each uni has its own strengths, and perhaps unspeakable weaknesses, but assuming someone's comments as if its the holy truth is wrong. I am a year 2 biz student from SMU, and trust me, I have learned many, many skills the classrooms and the 4 walls cannot teach. I graduated from polytechnic and I feel very very privileged to be studying in a good school.

jameskoay

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm currently a year 3 student, studying integrated events and projects management in Singapore Poly and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what are my chances of getting into NTU business if i continue to maintain a GPA of 4.0.
My L1R4 is 7, L1R5 is 9. I had A for O level Amaths.
Would i have to go through the interview? or/and take the maths test as well?

probably interview since it is an unrelated course :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.