NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

isrida96

Reaction score
well, a few things

a) i applied literally minutes before deadline. i was overseas and could not access net (death of relative). i realized that i didn't talk about my CCA stuff like council and stuff.

b) i only got my rejection letter AFTER i called smu to ask about my status (coincidence?)

c) do i stand a good chance in appeal if i document my other achievements? i really wanna get into smu!!!

Hmmm I can probably advice to write in about your extenuating circumstance (about how you were unable to give much details about you CCA cause of your relative death) and appeal. However I am not so sure if they will really consider that as a valid reason cause they might ask you back why you could not have applied earlier or something.

But nontheless I can advice you to say that the online application is limited despite having the CCA section as you are unable to present yourself fully as a potential student.

However you may give a shot and try your best!! Good luck!

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hi was wondering if anybody can help me out here

Gpa 3.58
From sp biz admin
O level 9pts

Have been trying to apply to all 3 locals uni for 2 yrs for either biz or mass comm but cant seem to even score an interview, even for smu which I'm especially puzzled by. I had like testimonials and portfolio of some articles ive written before in hopes of getting to ntu comms this yr but i still got rejected without interview too. Was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation as me or has been successful in appealing to either of the unis for comms or biz?

Nothing puzzling. Your gpa is far from NTU's 10th percentile for biz and comm studies which is at 3.79.

Testimonials and completed work are all great. But did your work win anything? And it could also simply be that your testimonial is just not impressive by their standards.

alianagrande

Reaction score
Aren't you a foreigner? The 10th percentile igp doesn't apply to you since you're competing with other foreigners, not locals.

i don't know if the PR=foreigner thing is true... everyday i hear different things. i have a PR friend who got into NUS chem engg and his rp was on the dot. he got in like in early april....

alianagrande

Reaction score
Hmmm I can probably advice to write in about your extenuating circumstance (about how you were unable to give much details about you CCA cause of your relative death) and appeal. However I am not so sure if they will really consider that as a valid reason cause they might ask you back why you could not have applied earlier or something.

But nontheless I can advice you to say that the online application is limited despite having the CCA section as you are unable to present yourself fully as a potential student.

However you may give a shot and try your best!! Good luck!

i was actually away for about 3 weeks. after that i had some family issues when i came back. but should i include that in the appeal letter?

okryai

Reaction score
Nothing puzzling. Your gpa is far from NTU's 10th percentile for biz and comm studies which is at 3.79.

Testimonials and completed work are all great. But did your work win anything? And it could also simply be that your testimonial is just not impressive by their standards.
Haha i was puzzled more towards why i couldnt even score an interview with smu biz. As for my writing nope no award just articles published on the SP website :(

isrida96

Reaction score
i was actually away for about 3 weeks. after that i had some family issues when i came back. but should i include that in the appeal letter?

hmm if it does impact your application significantly. but at the end of your day, your appeal letter must be able to show your passion for that subject and why you are suitable to the school and what does the school offer that will make your journey fruitful and satisfy your passion for learning ISM at SMU

alianagrande

Reaction score
hmm if it does impact your application significantly. but at the end of your day, your appeal letter must be able to show your passion for that subject and why you are suitable to the school and what does the school offer that will make your journey fruitful and satisfy your passion for learning ISM at SMU

THANK YOU so much for your pointers!!!:)

agenda

Master Member
Reaction score
i put it on second.... i put business first, that one confirm cannot make it but i just put there. but i kinda assumed that IS would call me? didn't get called for interview.

I was in the same boat as you, I put biz and accounting as my first two and didn't get called for an interview. When I asked the registrar, she told me they factor in ranking so I'm assuming that it has to be first or second and since your RP is lower, then first is pretty much mandatory.

What I did was write my appeal letter to specifically appeal to ISM and got called up for an interview.

When you apply wouldn't matter, don't talk abt you being away and your family problems. talk about your personality and achievements, leadership skills etc. You must put yourself as someone who would excel in IS.

n3ptune123

Reaction score
Can any seniors help me pleaseeeee? :sad:

I'm a poly graduate, graduated with a final GPA of 3.68, Diploma with Merit.
Didn't do so well for O levels though.. Only 18 points:sad:..

I chionged hard enough during my poly days to win several academic awards during my 3 years though and also received a poly scholarship for my academic achievements...

I have been rejected by both NUS and NTU while still pending for SMU... I am thinking of appealing to NTU... Can any seniors rate my chances of successfully entering either

1) Linguistics & Multilingual Studies
or
2) Sociology?

Any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!! :)

Hey there, may I know which diploma course did you graduate from? I graduated with a Diploma in Media and Comm, attaining a CGPA of 3.656 and got into NTU Sociology. My choices are pretty similar to yours and your GPA is higher than mine so I don't think there's any reason you won't get in unless your course of study in poly differs way too much?

okryai

Reaction score
Hey there, may I know which diploma course did you graduate from? I graduated with a Diploma in Media and Comm, attaining a CGPA of 3.656 and got into NTU Sociology. My choices are pretty similar to yours and your GPA is higher than mine so I don't think there's any reason you won't get in unless your course of study in poly differs way too much?
hello was wondering are you currently a student in soci? would appreciate if you could shed some light on hows the course and assignments like, cause i did get into soci but am very not confident in having to write like GP style essays and keeping up with currrent affairs

alianagrande

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you, I put biz and accounting as my first two and didn't get called for an interview. When I asked the registrar, she told me they factor in ranking so I'm assuming that it has to be first or second and since your RP is lower, then first is pretty much mandatory.

What I did was write my appeal letter to specifically appeal to ISM and got called up for an interview.

When you apply wouldn't matter, don't talk abt you being away and your family problems. talk about your personality and achievements, leadership skills etc. You must put yourself as someone who would excel in IS.

thanks, you've really made me feel so much better. may i know, how you did? also, did you eventually get in IS? i keep seeing advertisment of IS everywhere haha, i wonder if they still want more students..

isrida96

Reaction score
THANK YOU so much for your pointers!!!:)

No problem! If you help you can always PM me will be more than willing to help you!

Anyways to you and those who have not exactly be successful in your uni applications, you may want to refer to this website: http://zueet.com/appeal-smu-ntu-nus-or-sutd/

The guy in the website above was rejected from all three uni for three years even after appealing for three consecutive years until NTU EEE (if i am correct) accepted him.

So yes yiu might wanna see his pointers and tips.

IloveMilo

Reaction score

Hey n3ptune!

Wow, that will be so sad if they actually discriminate based on your course of study.. That doesn't seem fair either, especially when they stated clearly that diploma with merit holders are eligible to apply to most courses on the website. :(:(:(

The only thing I can think that I lost out on is probably my O levels? :s11:

Anyway. Replied you via PM! :)

IAmZTX

Reaction score
How you guys compare between NTU Accountancy , NUS BBA ( Accountancy) and SMU Accountancy?

for me, i picked the one closer to my home. Mind you, travelling takes time too.. It may be an excuse if you think so. Travelling more than 2hr everyday is not healthy in the long run.. Unless you plan to stay in hostel, there is another question!

agenda

Master Member
Reaction score
No problem! If you help you can always PM me will be more than willing to help you!

Anyways to you and those who have not exactly be successful in your uni applications, you may want to refer to this website: http://zueet.com/appeal-smu-ntu-nus-or-sutd/

The guy in the website above was rejected from all three uni for three years even after appealing for three consecutive years until NTU EEE (if i am correct) accepted him.

So yes yiu might wanna see his pointers and tips.

No offence, this dude was damn lucky to be accepted, probably the year he was accepted, the competition wasn't that stiff. His methodology is basically what everyone is doing except - please do not go to your MP, you're supposed to be independent in uni, going to them does no **** at all, trust me, if anything, they might be quicker to thrash your appeal. 5th point is valid IF and only IF you know the faculty member OR he/her just so happens to be a very very kind soul and be in a position of power.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
i don't know if the PR=foreigner thing is true... everyday i hear different things. i have a PR friend who got into NUS chem engg and his rp was on the dot. he got in like in early april....

But that's so different. NUS chem engine IGP is AAA/B. His grades couldnt have been any better if it was on the dot. Meaning that the foreigners he fought with were all around AAA/B or AAA/A as well. However for your case, your RP is 72. You could be up against foreigners with RP of 80++ which is probably the case. So you will lose out due to the difference between you and other foreigners. Whereas in your friends case, the difference would be very small due to the fact that the max score is only AAA/A.

Nevertheless, I hope your appeal is successful. All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.