NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
I was in a similar encounter too. But I m in NS. This year managed to secure a placing in ntu. Maybe you can take a gap year, then work on your porfolio(job experiences, recommendation letters and etc). I noticed your grade in GP is good, can try out Ntu HSS courses.

How is a B a good grade for GP? He would have a higher chance with engine courses like EEE instead of HSS from his/her grades.

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how did you know what job he did. :s22:
Had some poly friends who worked before going back to study too.

I dont..but im just assuming :s22:
Usually most people get degrees in order to get a good job

If one can get a good job without a degree, than one should just continue on with it and perhaps consider doing a part time degree

In terms of improving one's portfolio, i wont really bother putting jobs like data entry or waiter/restaurant work on my resume. This will however depend on what your applying for..e.g maybe restaurant manager?

Last edited:

turnbackclock

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont..but im just assuming :s22:
Usually most people get degrees in order to get a good job

If one can get a good job without a degree, than one should just continue on with it and perhaps consider doing a part time degree

In terms of improving one's portfolio, i wont really bother putting jobs like data entry or waiter/restaurant work on my resume. This will however depend on what your applying for..e.g maybe restaurant manager?

then you should stop assuming. :)

I choose to carry on with full-time degree instead because it is shorter, and I can concentrate better
no doubt the school life will be different.

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
then you should stop assuming. :)

I choose to carry on with full-time degree instead because it is shorter, and I can concentrate better
no doubt the school life will be different.

This is true i guess
If one can get good actual working experience than the cost of the gap year is significantly reduced

School life is definitely different

JasonMooWK

Reaction score
I'm thinking, is it worth to take such a huge amount of loan for a degree, when I'm already holding a diploma cert. hmmm

Havok_ex

Reaction score
I'm thinking, is it worth to take such a huge amount of loan for a degree, when I'm already holding a diploma cert. hmmm

It really depends on your abilities. On average, a fresh local degree holder can earn about 2k more than a fresh local dip holder. So if your degree is 34k. You will earn back the cost of the degree in about 17 months. Not to mention that degree holders tend to rise faster and have a higher salary ceiling than dip holders.

But on the other hand, the dip holder would have worked 4 extra years.

ChocolateCat

Reaction score

Yes it is definitely worth it. Take it as an investment, you will earn it back eventually.

Havok might have exaggerated a little by saying its a 2k pay difference. My poly friends who went to work are easily securing 1.8k while a local uni fresh grad can get 3k with 2nd upper. But it depends on the industry, your grades, connections, performance appraisal etc.

No matter how you count, given that you will be working for 30+ years, you will definitely earn back many fold your investment.

Seriously though, not many people will ask this question, are you having financial trouble? There are a lot of financial assistance available, so don't worry too much about it. :)

SgJae08

Reaction score

I am not sure if you are taking a gap year or so before thinking of going back to school. If yes, i know how you feel. You might be thinking, is it really worth to go back full time studies and forgo your monthly salary income?

I think it would be good for your to have a degree, it act as a backup plan for yourself but it must add value to what you want to do. Unless you are saying you know what you want or rather you have a business of your own then i think you may not really need it unless for further knowledge.

Think through of what you want to have or be in 5 years - 10 years time. Try to look further away and break down to present to have a better picture. Example, I want to be a CFO in 15 years time. 10 years time, i must be in senior mangement level, 5 years time I must have experience in certain area in order to be in senior management level. For this instance, degree in accounting or professional certificate would be what you need now.

Disclaimer, the above mentioned is based on my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.