HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #2191

Hi guys,

I got accepted into NTU Philosophy (my fifth choice...OUT OF FIVE hahaha), and I heard that it will be easier for me to appeal into another NTU course if I have already been accepted into a course already. So my chances if I do appeal will be good?

Also, if I do appeal to another course, can I appeal to the the first four choices that I have already submitted, or is it better to appeal to a course that I did not put in my choices?

Thanks!
The best would be to appeal to the IGP closest to your grades IMO.
Old 26-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #2192

Hey guys, from what I know, ntu sociology is a popular course that has been receiving applications exceeding the limitations.. if you appealed for sociology, you dont really stand a chance at all. Do reconsider what you might want to appeal n goodluck
Old 26-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #2193

Hey guys, from what I know, ntu sociology is a popular course that has been receiving applications exceeding the limitations.. if you appealed for sociology, you dont really stand a chance at all. Do reconsider what you might want to appeal n goodluck
Really? Where did you hear that from?

hi, if my gpa is 3.55, and I appealed sociology (3.47) which was my fourth choice, is it ok?
So will you be changing your choice of appeal as well?
anglewing and IloveMilo like this.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #2194

Nice try scaring people off so that you'll stand a chance with your appeal to that course. Didn't earlier you posted this:
Well, at least he is putting in effort to fight for his appeal.

I'll give him a + 1 for effort
Old 27-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #2195

Well, at least he is putting in effort to fight for his appeal.

I'll give him a + 1 for effort
I am serious. I went down to the school to seek for help and the person there told me. I was just trying to let you guys know not to waste your appeal choices like me. Lol
MoxLotus and Nosferato4 like this.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #2196

Really? Where did you hear that from?

So will you be changing your choice of appeal as well?
I have changed my appeal to philosophy.
Old 27-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #2197

Nice try scaring people off so that you'll stand a chance with your appeal to that course. Didn't earlier you posted this:

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but he/she is right; sociology is a very popular course and chances of successful appeal is incredibly slim. In socio, the number of students applying exceeds the number of places by a good margin, and don't forget, there is a waiting list for students who perhaps missed the IGP by a little/maybe didn't do very well for the interview but has potential etc etc. And these people on the waiting list has a higher priority than those who are trying to appeal (if you have been rejected in the first place, not v sure about the chances for those who wish to switch course)

I've been through this whole university application experience before last year (this is my second time applying) and I did lots of calls to the administration before, and this is what they told me :/
Old 27-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #2198

Just to correct your information. PR/Singaporeans are all considered local.

hi yes you're right! i called up smu ytd and they said they don't discriminate between PR and Singaporeans thanks tho
Old 27-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #2199

Hi! If it's alright with you, may I know your RP? I've also applied for philosophy and I'm still waiting for the news of my interview that happened last week... Thank you so much! If you are uncomfortable to post your RP here do feel free to PM me!! But if you are unwilling to share that's fine too hehe
hey there actually I was from poly and my gpa was 3.61.

I also went to the interview last week!! I checked my status on the portal and it said I got accepted, although I have yet to receive the letter. Just curious, was philosophy your first choice? I do have an interest in philosophy but I'm actually worried about the "new-ness" of the course in NTU since it only started last year.
Old 27-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #2200

The best would be to appeal to the IGP closest to your grades IMO.
even if the course I want seems to be quite popular and people here are saying that it most likely won't be successful? (I'm talking about NTU sociology btw) 10th percentile for socio is 3.47 and my gpa is 3.61...
Old 27-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #2201

oh another question!!

is it possible to be accepted by two courses in NTU? cos I went for two interviews at NTU but it does not mean if one accepts me the other one doesn't right?
Old 27-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #2202

hey there actually I was from poly and my gpa was 3.61.

I also went to the interview last week!! I checked my status on the portal and it said I got accepted, although I have yet to receive the letter. Just curious, was philosophy your first choice? I do have an interest in philosophy but I'm actually worried about the "new-ness" of the course in NTU since it only started last year.

Hey! Thanks for replying Oh oops my bad haha. That's awesome btw, congrats!!

My portal didn't state anything about my status, so I'm a bit nervous and worried at the same time.. Hopefully I'll receive something from them soon especially since the portal is about to close :'( And no haha philo was my third choice but after doing some in depth research, philo seems like a great choice especially if you want to go into fields such as journalism/comms I understand what you mean though; during the interview I asked the profs about internship opportunites for philo students and he couldn't really give me a specific answer cos they only launched the course last year haha
Old 27-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #2203

oh another question!!

is it possible to be accepted by two courses in NTU? cos I went for two interviews at NTU but it does not mean if one accepts me the other one doesn't right?

I'm afraid not... Being accepted into two courses in the same Uni is unheard of :-(
Old 27-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #2204

Hi all guys. Can I know anyone still waitting for reply from SMU ? My interview for acc has gone for 2 months so sad. Does it mean I have no chance alr?

The status still show pending no accept no reject ><
Old 27-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #2205

sociology is a very popular course and chances of successful appeal is incredibly slim. In socio, the number of students applying exceeds the number of places by a good margin
Its the same for every course in all 3 big local unis. The number of students applying far exceeds the number they can take in.

This especially applies for all Social Science and Humanities courses. Their intake is small while the number of applicants is really high.

The chances of a successful appeal for any HSS course is pretty damn low as compared to an appeal to an engineering course, just due to the small intake.

And soci technically has quite a big intake already as compared to other hss courses.

Last edited by Havok_ex; 27-05-2015 at 07:48 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.