Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #2251

Appealed to eee too! Mind share ur gpa?
hi,would u mind share ur grade?
Hi I was from JC and my grades were ABB/A GP: D PW: B. I am also a foreigner so it is harder for me to get in due to the competitiveness .
Old 29-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #2252

any NTU computer science seniors here? Can i survive engineering maths 1 and 2 if i'm from poly. i took a-math during a-levels tho.
Why not check out the SCE past year exam papers to see where you stand? My advice to you is be prepared before going in.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #2253

I'll give you some insider info on philosophy in NTU. Right now. Its really really new. The course took in its first batch last year. They barely have enough lecturers btw. There was barely enough lecturers last year when they were only teaching 1 batch. This August, they will be teaching 2 batches, the current batch and the ones enrolling this August. But they only managed to hire one new prof. Imagine what will happen just 2 years down the road when they have 4 full batches of students to teach AND have to supervise FYPs for the graduating batch.

This upcoming semester, the year 2s will only have 4 new philosophy modules to choose from.

Compare this to History, which is only 2-3 years older than Philosophy, but has 19 modules for their year 2s to choose from. There is no diversity in the modules offered. Either you take the module that they offer, or you pray and hope that they offer something better down the line.

It also means that there will be quite alot of competition for the very limited number of modules offered.

Source :
http://wish.wis.ntu.edu.sg/webexe/ow...subj_cont.main

These are the cons of studying philosophy in NTU. Sad to say, I cant give any pros. There is no track record of employment but one can easily predict that its not going to be very high. So please, think it over a few times if you want to appeal to or accept the offer to philosophy.
iirc, the same happened to the 1st batch of the following NTU courses too - sports science, econs, ADM.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #2254

Hi Nosferato4 thanks for your reply I think screw interview up lol.

Have prepared my appeal for it.

But another problem is anyone get offer second or third choice from SMU? Since SMU conduct interview for each candidates for their first choice then how about our second or third ? Is it still possible ?

Hi, may I know what is your GPA/ UAS score?

If they haven't given your offer it is likely your interview performance was less than satisfactory, but they are still considering you with other group of applicants who had less than satisfactory interview result.

So you may have a chance! Don't give up.

however, if you want to be more kiasu abit, go start planning your appeal to prepare for worse-case scenario. It will help give you more time to edit it over
Old 29-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #2255

LOL what track record of employment. all arts degrees are the same to the employee. they are not gonna care if you are geog major or history major or philosophy major.
hasn't been true for the employers I've worked for. there definitely was a preference for certain majors more than others.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #2256

Hi Nosferato4 thanks for your reply I think screw interview up lol.

Have prepared my appeal for it.

But another problem is anyone get offer second or third choice from SMU? Since SMU conduct interview for each candidates for their first choice then how about our second or third ? Is it still possible ?
From what I heard, SMU seems to base its admission on the one interview that you went for, so if you didnt do that well it seems that you would be eliminated from the other choices. Exception being SIS where they offered some of us the opportunity to attend a second interview where we did a programming test.
IAmZTX likes this.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #2257

Anyone here got rejected from SMU ISM? Just curious
Old 29-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #2258
Master Member

hasn't been true for the employers I've worked for. there definitely was a preference for certain majors more than others.
can u name me an industry/company where they will prefer a history student over a geog student?
Old 29-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #2259

can u name me an industry/company where they will prefer a history student over a geog student?
Journalism.
MoxLotus likes this.
Old 30-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #2260

Actually, I dont think it should leh. I mean, that would skew against courses whereby there is a larger concentration of smarter people. They would lose out due to the bellcurve in their course being skewed to the right. It would be easier to attain a merit in courses that are easier and that has less capable students. That wouldnt be very fair.

I'm all for factoring a person's academic standing using a universal system that encompasses all courses instead. This would make it much easier. If it is universal, then we would know that a 3.9 from mech engin is better than a 3.4 from say, business. And if there were two people from different courses with the same GPA, they would be viewed as being equally capable.
I am extremely happy that you could see this enigma, given that many people outside of the polytechnic system couldn't see this.

I fully agree with you using a universal system, especially since it will make things clearer, fairer and more standardized. But what do you mean by an universal system? Do you mean a system of standardized testing - ŕ la JC examinations?

Or do you mean a gauging system by which scores are pegged to and corresponded with? For example, a 3.8 GPA in Apparel Design & Merchandising (a harder course to score well I presume, given that it's so arty-farty lol) will be deemed as an equal to a GPA of 4.00 in Mech Engineering? How would this be implemented then, given the diversified rojak of courses in a poly and with the polys themselves being highly decentralized?

It is gonna be a highly difficult task.
Old 30-05-2015, 01:43 AM   #2261

any NTU computer science seniors here? Can i survive engineering maths 1 and 2 if i'm from poly. i took a-math during a-levels tho.
anything is possible if you are willing to work hard.
Old 30-05-2015, 02:01 AM   #2262
Arch-Supremacy Member

woohoo i got into nus!
Old 30-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #2263

woohoo i got into nus!
Congratulations!!

Please help your fellow comrades here by sharing with us your course and the score you got in with.
Old 30-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #2264

Got into NUS med woohoo!
MoxLotus likes this.
Old 30-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #2265
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some political intelligence unit in one of the ministry... I rmb attending some tok and one of the speaker from that unit says they prefer hist major.

And of cos there are also those positions that prefer geographic major to history major such as GIS.

Majors like psychology or economics are also a requirement in their respective fields.
MoxLotus likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.