HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #2596

Not to be rude or anything but you've already been accepted but you decided to call them up to ask whether it is due to your appeal?

You have already been accepted but yet you want to trouble them?

Don't you think you are being very selfish? Have you ever spared a thought for the trouble the staff had to go through just so you can satisfy your curiosity? You think the staff are too free to entertain your trivial questions?

You have already been accepted. Be happy with it and don't bother the staff.

I can't believe such people exist. When you graduate from university, I can tell that you are going to be a selfish supervisor and your subordinates will suffer.
You have went too far.. Surely he could have spared the staff some trouble but I don't think he deserve that kind of criticism.
Old 19-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #2597

Hi guys, i have emailed NTU to ask whether there are any refresher courses specially for comp sci student( discrete math, digital electronics, computational thinking)...but they keep sending me courses mostly for EEE organised by college of engineering ( physics, engineering math, functions... etc), which seems not relevant for me.

So i guess comp sci students have no refresher course that is useful to apply? Anyone knows anything...

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT
As far as i know, there is one refresher course: Mathematics Preparatory Course for Computer Engineering students as they are taking Engineering Maths 1 and 2 in their first semester / second semester. (That was during my time)

Other than that, you need to study on your own which you can access the curriculum and make preparation for it.

Curriculum for JC student / Others:

http://sce.ntu.edu.sg/Programmes/Cur...ar%202015).pdf

Curriculum for Exempted Polytechnics Students:

http://sce.ntu.edu.sg/Programmes/Cur...pr%202015).pdf

This year is getting more competitive than before. CZ1003 Introduction to
Computational Thinking is set as exemption for Polytechnic Student. I would suggest you to take up CZ1003 Introduction to Computational Thinking module unless you are really proficient in your programming. If not, don't take the risk.

You can find the references from this website:

https://blogs.ntu.edu.sg/library/eng...r2-Rev8Apr.pdf
Old 19-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #2598

Hi guys, i have emailed NTU to ask whether there are any refresher courses specially for comp sci student( discrete math, digital electronics, computational thinking)...but they keep sending me courses mostly for EEE organised by college of engineering ( physics, engineering math, functions... etc), which seems not relevant for me.

So i guess comp sci students have no refresher course that is useful to apply? Anyone knows anything...

Hi, I am matriculating to computer science in ntu too.

There's a preparation course for engineering math 1 which is a core module for us. it's a 3weeks long, 10 sessions(3hours each) course.

It's organized for COE students(computer engineer & science). if you don't have the detail, I could send it to you.

Last edited by furnote; 19-06-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Old 19-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #2599

Hi, I am matriculating to computer science in ntu too.

There's a preparation course for engineering math 1 which is a core module for us. it's a 3weeks long, 10 sessions(3hours each) course.

It's organized for COE students(computer engineer & science). if you don't have the detail, I could send it to you.
BTW, the COE orientation camp clashes with this course, so I am still thinking of which to go...
anyone can suggest which is more beneficial for me to attend?
the camp or refresher course?
Old 19-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #2600

Not to be rude or anything but you've already been accepted but you decided to call them up to ask whether it is due to your appeal?

You have already been accepted but yet you want to trouble them?

Don't you think you are being very selfish? Have you ever spared a thought for the trouble the staff had to go through just so you can satisfy your curiosity? You think the staff are too free to entertain your trivial questions?

You have already been accepted. Be happy with it and don't bother the staff.

I can't believe such people exist. When you graduate from university, I can tell that you are going to be a selfish supervisor and your subordinates will suffer.
What's wrong with you ? Why are you so paranoid ?!
Old 19-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #2601

Functions and graphs. Trigonometric identities, inverses, equations, and applications. Exponential and logarithmic functions. Vector and its applications. Sequences and series. Limits and continuity. Differentiation and its applications. Integration and its applications.

Are any of these modules relevant for NTU computer science?

Old 19-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #2602

Functions and graphs. Trigonometric identities, inverses, equations, and applications. Exponential and logarithmic functions. Vector and its applications. Sequences and series. Limits and continuity. Differentiation and its applications. Integration and its applications.

Yes, some of those you mentioned are definitely relevant to engineering math from what I heard(but not all).

Why not look at posts above yours before asking again, pretty sure two of them already answered your questions about prep course on computer science.
Old 19-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #2603

The course (Mathematics Preparatory Course) is applicable to you if you are a Computer Engineering student taking Engineering Maths 1 & 2 in your first semester:

Take NOTE:

1) You still need to take Engineering Maths 1 & 2 in your second semester
2) No harm taking the Mathematics Preparatory Course since you will need it in your second semester
3) Please read the curriculum !!!!

Last edited by IAmZTX; 19-06-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Old 19-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #2604

appeal to NTU biz just got rejected with gpa of 3.85
Old 19-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #2605

Cos I can feel the pain of the staff who had to entertain such requests.
what do your mean such requests. IMO, there ntothing wrong all with clarify things nor his requests.He has a doubt, he raise it. it wont take the staff any trouble to check it up on him. On other hand, why are you so anal about it?
Old 19-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #2606

BTW, the COE orientation camp clashes with this course, so I am still thinking of which to go...
anyone can suggest which is more beneficial for me to attend?
the camp or refresher course?
I didn't go for any prep course or camp last year.
But having friends before you start is pretty useful.. especially seniors.
Not sure about the prep course, probably more worth it if you are from polytechnic
Old 19-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #2607

appeal to NTU biz just got rejected with gpa of 3.85
hi, did they email u appeal result?
Old 19-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #2608

Did you know what issue he/she call to check?
Regardless of what issue he called to ask just shows that he is concerned about things that may affect his future. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's also why an admission office is established for - to clarify and handle admission and administration matters.

On the other hand, I feel that you are too angsty and judgmental and potentially ruining another person's day with those hurtful words you've said. Please reflect on yourself.
Old 19-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #2609

I didnt went for any orientation for eee, so dont worry if cannot make it for orientation. Best to go makr friends

Most important make friends during tutorial class.

I recommend to go for the maths n physics prep course for eee if fresh from ns. Physics may cause some culture shock to some

Start recapping ur maths n physics n electronics(if from poly).

Maths if direct year 2 can read up on Differentiation and integration. Ordinary differential equations. Partial differentiation. Multiple
integrals. Infinite sequences and series. Vectors.

Physics if direct year 2 can go learn 2d kinematics, bouyancy, friction, vectors, Vectors. Kinematics. Forces and torques. Newton’s laws of motion. Impulse and momentum. Work and energy. Thermal physics. Electric field. Magnetic field. Motion of charged particles and applications. Circuits.

Digital electronics-- logic gates, boolean algebra, state machines, decoder encoders, multiplexer, latch, flip flops, etc.

circuit analysis-- Laplace transform, 3 phase single phase star delta, norton thevenin, 2 port networks. Kvl kcl
ooo haha why culture shock? Is it worth paying $12 to go for physics refresher ah? >< some said its a waste of time???
Old 19-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #2610
Master Member

For those who are considering the refresher course, this is what I have gotten from a prof.

"It is OK not to attend all the lessons. After registration and paying, you will also be able to download a copy of the e-text. You will also be given access to the course website (recorded videos etc) once the course starts. You do not have to attend all the lessons in person but it would be good to drop by for some, particularly the earlier lessons. The lecture will be interactive and you will be solving problems on the spot with teaching assistants around to help."

Hope this helps.
kaemi123 likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.