HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #2671

hahah well most people are like "WOAH NBS SIA... I heard its the best business school in Singapore" "SMU Business! very good school! I heard they earn the most out of all the 3 schools! and they train students very well for IB!"

hahah this is my personal opinion why there is a hype for both schools and not NUS I too also laugh at this cause it is true.. there is really very little or close to none that say NUS Business is the best... I usually hear like oh cause its the flagship uni and all. So I just laugh about it also cause my gf is from SMU business let NBS and SMU Biz fight it out I'll just do my thang quietly I feel how well you grad is more important than the actual entry
Thanks for your input! My friends all say the same thing actually because I'm currently holding a place in NBS and they say it's stupid to appeal out. But I have to factor in distance and I stay really really near NUS, I think that and NUS' brand name is reason enough for me. Ultimately it depends on yourself and how much you want to put in because all 3 are good isn't it?
Old 21-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #2672
High Supremacy Member

I personally think that biz in both NTU and NUS are about the same So just go for the one that you think you can do better in (?) Then again, both are equally competitive

jameskoay likes this.
Old 21-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #2673

I reject SMU and NTU biz to go to NUS FASS just saying
Old 21-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #2674

Hi all,

Is it possible to still yet to hear a reply from SMU? (since the very first submission of application in March) Because that's the case for me. I've applied for Social Sciences @ SMU and till now have yet to hear anything from them when the deadline for the second window of acceptance is tomorrow (21 June).

Is it possible to actually receive a reply (acceptance or rejection) from SMU even after the 21 June?

Also, I've recently went for my NTU interview for SSM programme just a few days ago (on thurs). Is it true that the universities do not reply/send acceptance or rejection on weekends? So I must wait till the weekdays to hear a reply from them?

Thanks to anyone reading this! :-)
Hey sk8kid,

It is possible to hear back from SMU even after the deadline for the second window of acceptance has closed. In fact, they may even notify you as late as early July.
This is what a SMU admin staff told me.

Hope this helps you.
Old 22-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #2675

Im confused why I havent gotten a reply on my appeal...... @3@
Old 22-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #2676

Surviving in NTU Business. Like you said, also a faster paced version of poly with similar modules and content. But the competition is ten fold steeper and we don't have the gradeless thing.

But at least we have the cheapened direct honors so much easier to get here. But I saw someone post that NUS honors requirement changed to 3.2 so also easier to get...

I think third class or second lower still better than no honors leh... At least you can put "(Honours)" in your resume..
yeah ikr! I have pals in both NTU and SMU biz as well. hahah the NTU guy said that the S/U policy there is close to useless must get like an F to auto-activate it or something.

I guess if you are "forced" to obtain an honours by the end of year 3.. you wouldn't have much of a choice if you were gonna grad with a 3rd class right? hahha.. but yeah I think the mean/average person grads with 2nd lower and that gives slightly higher pay than a pass degree... but 3rd class.. i'm not so sure about that

yup now to qualify for honours programme is 3.2 but honestly if your CAP/GPA was 3.2 at the point in year 3... it is in the 3rd class honours range.. unless you are confident of pulling it up to a minimum 3.5; I don't think I would take up honours

oh NTU and SMU seems to be more poly dominated hor? NUS really a lot of JC ppl haha

Last edited by jameskoay; 22-06-2015 at 09:37 AM..
Old 22-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #2677

Thanks for your input! My friends all say the same thing actually because I'm currently holding a place in NBS and they say it's stupid to appeal out. But I have to factor in distance and I stay really really near NUS, I think that and NUS' brand name is reason enough for me. Ultimately it depends on yourself and how much you want to put in because all 3 are good isn't it?
hey HollyW.. I guess if you are not intending to stay in hall.. just like me... and I stay at pasir ris... NTU was not even a consideration for me and that is why I went to NUS. SMU... ehh not my style

but since you are near NUS... NTU is still a viable option la. why don't you just appeal for NUS biz.. then if you get it.. then decide again for now just stick with NBS lor

and yeah la.. there is no discrimination amongst the 3 biz schools really. a lot of ppl always think that oh go to biz school can already and always see the glamorous IB sector and finance = big bucks lol... but in reality there has to be ppl that don't do well in the course and they do not end up with very good jobs .. so just pick one, don't look back and do well!

ps: remember NUS has the gradeless first year for Biz school... this one ah.. really... I think it is quite a "cheat" hahahha 1st year students usually nua nua and play a lot ma.. so it is a good wake up call.. then year 2 you will chiong harder for studies haha
Old 22-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #2678

Im confused why I havent gotten a reply on my appeal...... @3@
Same mine's for NUS. Yours?
Old 22-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #2679

When is NUS appeal results out sia?
Old 22-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #2680
Supremacy Member

yeah ikr! I have pals in both NTU and SMU biz as well. hahah the NTU guy said that the S/U policy there is close to useless must get like an F to auto-activate it or something.

I guess if you are "forced" to obtain an honours by the end of year 3.. you wouldn't have much of a choice if you were gonna grad with a 3rd class right? hahha.. but yeah I think the mean/average person grads with 2nd lower and that gives slightly higher pay than a pass degree... but 3rd class.. i'm not so sure about that

yup now to qualify for honours programme is 3.2 but honestly if your CAP/GPA was 3.2 at the point in year 3... it is in the 3rd class honours range.. unless you are confident of pulling it up to a minimum 3.5; I don't think I would take up honours

oh NTU and SMU seems to be more poly dominated hor? NUS really a lot of JC ppl haha
There is no third class honors in NTU NBS
The first year s/u policy for NTU only happens when you FAIL a module..so yea as good as useless

and yeah la.. there is no discrimination amongst the 3 biz schools really. a lot of ppl always think that oh go to biz school can already and always see the glamorous IB sector and finance = big bucks lol... but in reality there has to be ppl that don't do well in the course and they do not end up with very good jobs .. so just pick one, don't look back and do well! ...
The only job with big bucks is the IB sector..I think SMU has the largest number of ppl going there..cause u need to be very outspoken.Theres too little jobs and too many people trying to get in.

Finance doesnt mean big bucks...

NTU students really dont speak up much
kcshan likes this.
Old 22-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #2681

I think the first year SU for failing means you need to retake it, it's more like allowing you to take the module again without affecting your gpa yet.
Old 22-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #2682
Supremacy Member

I think the first year SU for failing means you need to retake it, it's more like allowing you to take the module again without affecting your gpa yet.
Thats why its useless....you must do dam bad in order to fail..and than must retake

Even if you put in minimum effort, you should still be able to pass
Old 22-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #2683

When is NUS appeal results out sia?
I am also waiting for my NUS appeal to Science. Anyone gotten their offers already?
Old 22-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #2684

I am also waiting for my NUS appeal to Science. Anyone gotten their offers already?
Mine's science too and still waiting
BeingHopeful likes this.
Old 22-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #2685

Were you given any course before this? Last year, appeal results came out 1st July right? So I'm guessing it'll be out either this week or the next.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.