HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #2731

Anyone going for NTU refresher courses?

Hey, I'm going for both the math and physics prep course. Though there has been no information on the materials for the physics prep course.
Old 25-06-2015, 01:16 AM   #2732
Supremacy Member

I am concerned about unisim degree recognition and the job opportunities. Will a unisim degree put me at a disadvantage?
Degree is definitely recognised

Job opportunities will not be as plentiful but it's not something I'd waste one year over

There is negative stigma involved with sim. However after u work a few years.. Nobody will care where the hell u graduated from but more on how well u can perform
Old 25-06-2015, 02:11 AM   #2733

Hi, any JC students with successful appeals to ntu/nus engineering?
Old 25-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #2734

I wasn't really interested in engineering but after I found out more about mse, I became quite interested in that and did appeal for it. Was rejected though.
I really find that quite hard to believe. You sure that the interest has more to do with the course and less to do with getting into a local uni?

My skepticism aside, I don't think you should take a gap year. Reason being that your grades are borderline for MSE. And its unlikely that the IGP will drop next year since it just gets harder. So its likely that when next year comes around, the IGP would be higher than your grades.
Old 25-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #2735

you want to go with me?
I don't mind
only going for math prep though
Hi
can i check which are the dates for the maths preps classes and the locations?
Old 25-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #2736

I wasn't really interested in engineering but after I found out more about mse, I became quite interested in that and did appeal for it. Was rejected though.
Hey, I was in the same plight as you just one year ago. I didn't consider engine courses because all that hearsay stereotypes of them. Go take a gap year, it's gonna be hard, the first few months with all your friends telling you how their uni experience was, not being able to hang out with them frequently etc, while you are stuck at work. I've been through it.

I was embarassed to see any ex-classmates or schoolmates because all the questions end up steering back to "Where did you go? What course?"(I mean if you're the kind of person who fears judgement from other people) Truthfully, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind so I just kept to my closest friends.

During that one year, I did research on the engine courses lah, I found that they are different from what the stereotypes. Perhaps if I just blindly chose engine last year, I might have been just the typical "just go for a degree" people. But I feel that I'll "treasure" it more now than ever that I've gotten to engine this year, also during this one year, I've improved on my people skill via work. So don't think of it as wasting a year per se. Think of this, what is that one year be compared to the future 60 years of your life.

All this is from my point of view.
If you're still on for business courses, Unisim is a great option. (Just don't go for Banking and Finance)

Good luck girl!

Last edited by cincaifish; 25-06-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Old 25-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #2737

Hi
can i check which are the dates for the maths preps classes and the locations?
yeah sure, I will send a message to you
Old 25-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #2738
Supremacy Member

Hey, I was in the same plight as you just one year ago. I didn't consider engine courses because all that hearsay stereotypes of them. Go take a gap year, it's gonna be hard, the first few months with all your friends telling you how their uni experience was, not being able to hang out with them frequently etc, while you are stuck at work. I've been through it.

I was embarassed to see any ex-classmates or schoolmates because all the questions end up steering back to "Where did you go? What course?"(I mean if you're the kind of person who fears judgement from other people) Truthfully, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind so I just kept to my closest friends.

During that one year, I did research on the engine courses lah, I found that they are different from what the stereotypes. Perhaps if I just blindly chose engine last year, I might have been just the typical "just go for a degree" people. But I feel that I'll "treasure" it more now than ever that I've gotten to engine this year, also during this one year, I've improved on my people skill via work. So don't think of it as wasting a year per se. Think of this, what is that one year be compared to the future 60 years of your life.

All this is from my point of view.
If you're still on for business courses, Unisim is a great option. (Just don't go for Banking and Finance)

Good luck girl!
I didn't regret taking a gap year too. I took the time to pursue working experiences and some interest I had. Mainly because I needed money.
However, the only thing that differ is I had a placing secured for me.

If you have interest in engineering, you might want to take a gap year.
However that being said, if you aren't confident that you would be able to get a placing next year, just go for unisim.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #2739

Hi guys. I have been rejected by all 3 local u partially due to unwise course selections. Appeal to ntu and nus have failed as well. Very confused as what to do now. Should I reappeal or take a gap year? My grades are bcc/e, b for gp and c for pw.

On a side note, I was accepted to unisim for their accountancy programme.
I was in a similar encounter too. But I m in NS. This year managed to secure a placing in ntu. Maybe you can take a gap year, then work on your porfolio(job experiences, recommendation letters and etc). I noticed your grade in GP is good, can try out Ntu HSS courses.
Old 25-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #2740
Supremacy Member

I didn't regret taking a gap year too. I took the time to pursue working experiences and some interest I had. Mainly because I needed money.
However, the only thing that differ is I had a placing secured for me.

If you have interest in engineering, you might want to take a gap year.
However that being said, if you aren't confident that you would be able to get a placing next year, just go for unisim.
The working experience isnt really considered as "experience" tho..It'll be mostly admin etc jobs
Old 25-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #2741

The working experience isnt really considered as "experience" tho..It'll be mostly admin etc jobs
how did you know what job he did.
Had some poly friends who worked before going back to study too.
Old 25-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #2742

I was in a similar encounter too. But I m in NS. This year managed to secure a placing in ntu. Maybe you can take a gap year, then work on your porfolio(job experiences, recommendation letters and etc). I noticed your grade in GP is good, can try out Ntu HSS courses.
How is a B a good grade for GP? He would have a higher chance with engine courses like EEE instead of HSS from his/her grades.
Old 25-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #2743
High Supremacy Member

How is a B a good grade for GP? He would have a higher chance with engine courses like EEE instead of HSS from his/her grades.
B grade is not bad I feel

Old 25-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #2744
Supremacy Member

how did you know what job he did.
Had some poly friends who worked before going back to study too.
I dont..but im just assuming
Usually most people get degrees in order to get a good job

If one can get a good job without a degree, than one should just continue on with it and perhaps consider doing a part time degree

In terms of improving one's portfolio, i wont really bother putting jobs like data entry or waiter/restaurant work on my resume. This will however depend on what your applying for..e.g maybe restaurant manager?

Last edited by Zabiyaki; 25-06-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Old 25-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #2745

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get your reply from NUS? (Appeal, I mean)
Hey, I got my appeal around 1 to 2 weeks after I submitted it! They texted me to check the updated application platform. :-)
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.