NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #2746
Supremacy Member

I dont..but im just assuming
Usually most people get degrees in order to get a good job

If one can get a good job without a degree, than one should just continue on with it and perhaps consider doing a part time degree

In terms of improving one's portfolio, i wont really bother putting jobs like data entry or waiter/restaurant work on my resume. This will however depend on what your applying for..e.g maybe restaurant manager?
then you should stop assuming.

I choose to carry on with full-time degree instead because it is shorter, and I can concentrate better
no doubt the school life will be different.
Old 25-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #2747

I am going for the math refresher course.. My maths isn't that good, must go!
What course are you going to?
Hey! Do you know which dates are the refresher course? I need to attend too!
Old 25-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #2748

yeah sure, I will send a message to you
Can pm me too?
Old 25-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #2749
Supremacy Member

then you should stop assuming.

I choose to carry on with full-time degree instead because it is shorter, and I can concentrate better
no doubt the school life will be different.
This is true i guess
If one can get good actual working experience than the cost of the gap year is significantly reduced

School life is definitely different
Old 25-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #2750

yeah sure, I will send a message to you
Thanks bro.
Old 25-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #2751

Can pm me too?
sent already
Old 25-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #2752

sent already
Thank you so much!
Old 26-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #2753

I'm thinking, is it worth to take such a huge amount of loan for a degree, when I'm already holding a diploma cert. hmmm
Old 26-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #2754

I'm thinking, is it worth to take such a huge amount of loan for a degree, when I'm already holding a diploma cert. hmmm
It's up to you really.

Old 26-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #2755

anyone signed up for ntu sce orientation camp?
still thinking whether to join or not
Old 26-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #2756

Anybody got friends who got offer NUS science via appeal this year?
Old 26-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #2757

Has anyone gotten replies from NTU EEE regarding appeals?
Old 26-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #2758

It really depends on your abilities. On average, a fresh local degree holder can earn about 2k more than a fresh local dip holder. So if your degree is 34k. You will earn back the cost of the degree in about 17 months. Not to mention that degree holders tend to rise faster and have a higher salary ceiling than dip holders.

But on the other hand, the dip holder would have worked 4 extra years.
Old 27-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #2759

Yes it is definitely worth it. Take it as an investment, you will earn it back eventually.

Havok might have exaggerated a little by saying its a 2k pay difference. My poly friends who went to work are easily securing 1.8k while a local uni fresh grad can get 3k with 2nd upper. But it depends on the industry, your grades, connections, performance appraisal etc.

No matter how you count, given that you will be working for 30+ years, you will definitely earn back many fold your investment.

Seriously though, not many people will ask this question, are you having financial trouble? There are a lot of financial assistance available, so don't worry too much about it.
Old 27-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #2760

I am not sure if you are taking a gap year or so before thinking of going back to school. If yes, i know how you feel. You might be thinking, is it really worth to go back full time studies and forgo your monthly salary income?

I think it would be good for your to have a degree, it act as a backup plan for yourself but it must add value to what you want to do. Unless you are saying you know what you want or rather you have a business of your own then i think you may not really need it unless for further knowledge.

Think through of what you want to have or be in 5 years - 10 years time. Try to look further away and break down to present to have a better picture. Example, I want to be a CFO in 15 years time. 10 years time, i must be in senior mangement level, 5 years time I must have experience in certain area in order to be in senior management level. For this instance, degree in accounting or professional certificate would be what you need now.

Disclaimer, the above mentioned is based on my opinion.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.