Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #331
Supremacy Member

waa on leave, like that a bit waste time

I see how bah, if this sem I still kns, I next sem mabe change to chinese studies

at least is something I more comfortable with, shunbian enrol together with freshie
okay la not wasted, 1 or 2 years is short as compared to the next 30-50years of working, find some jobs or take a break then restart also good marh. many people also take a gap year to have a break nowadays marh.

all the best to you!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #332
High Supremacy Member

but he drop out not because too hard, I think is because he want pursue business or what instead. think he got 4.1x score. jc kia
He managed to transfer over to NBS arh?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #333
Supremacy Member

no idea, haven't had contact with him for quite awhile =/
Old 07-03-2015, 04:05 AM   #334

Any opinions on ntu philosophy? Also considering ntu sociology. My a level results damn bad so my UAS is only 69.75. Should I consider courses which UAS cut off is 72.5?
Old 07-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #335

Any opinions on ntu philosophy? Also considering ntu sociology. My a level results damn bad so my UAS is only 69.75. Should I consider courses which UAS cut off is 72.5?
Are you choosing philosophy because you cannot enter anything else? If you are, then I suggest that you rethink that decision. Philosophy is not easy, especially for people who have little passion or interest. Jobs are hard to get and probably only those who get 2nd upper and above will find jobs in public service. The rest might end up selling insurance. Do you have any specific questions about NTU philosophy? Workload is heavy if you want to fully understand everything and get a good grade. We dont have finals most of the time but we have lots of essays to write. And for philosophy, you cant smoke your way through. Analytic philosophy requires that everything is made super clear, no using of cheem words just to make it look nice either. In fact, most profs frown on it. When we do have finals, its usually in-class and on the last teaching week of school, not on exam week(2 weeks after last teaching week) like the rest of the school. This means we get to pangkang earlier. But it also means we have 2 weeks less than everyone else to study for the finals. NTU philosophy is a very new course, it only started taking in undergrads last year. So we do not have a wide range of philosophy modules like NUS does because we only have like 7 profs at the moment and only 1 of them is tenured.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #336
Arch-Supremacy Member

Are you choosing philosophy because you cannot enter anything else? If you are, then I suggest that you rethink that decision. Philosophy is not easy, especially for people who have little passion or interest. Jobs are hard to get and probably only those who get 2nd upper and above will find jobs in public service. The rest might end up selling insurance. Do you have any specific questions about NTU philosophy? Workload is heavy if you want to fully understand everything and get a good grade. We dont have finals most of the time but we have lots of essays to write. And for philosophy, you cant smoke your way through. Analytic philosophy requires that everything is made super clear, no using of cheem words just to make it look nice either. In fact, most profs frown on it. When we do have finals, its usually in-class and on the last teaching week of school, not on exam week(2 weeks after last teaching week) like the rest of the school. This means we get to pangkang earlier. But it also means we have 2 weeks less than everyone else to study for the finals. NTU philosophy is a very new course, it only started taking in undergrads last year. So we do not have a wide range of philosophy modules like NUS does because we only have like 7 profs at the moment and only 1 of them is tenured.

if i want to smoke my way through, which course is recommended?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #337

if i want to smoke my way through, which course is recommended?
No social science course.
Common sense content will not get you anywhere more than a borderline pass or fail.
There are theories you need to remember, similar to formulas. You will need to learn how to apply the theories and give you own set of understanding and opinions. There will be a lot of research papers and news to read, so you have a good trove of examples to link with theories. Finally citations, giving credits to where you learn of the specific content.

What are the details of your full set of results?
You might want to consider other newer universities with social science course? Possibly SIT-UOL Criminology? Or UniSIM Part-Time?
- http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/de...e-4916620.html
- SIT-UOL Criminology
- UniSIM Part-Time Undergraduate Studies

Last edited by intime; 07-03-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #338
Supremacy Member

porky want go nbs?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #339
Arch-Supremacy Member

Common sense content will not get you anywhere more than a borderline pass or fail.
There are theories you need to remember, similar to formulas. You will need to learn how to apply the theories and give you own set of understanding and opinions. There will be a lot of research papers and news to read, so you have a good trove of examples to link with theories. Finally citations, giving credits to where you learn of the specific content.

What are the details of your full set of results?
You might want to consider other newer universities with social science course? Possibly SIT-UOL Criminology? Or UniSIM Part-Time?
- http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/de...e-4916620.html
- SIT-UOL Criminology
- UniSIM Part-Time Undergraduate Studies
You from social science one?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #340

No, I think some social science courses can be easily smoked through to get a second lower. Alot of social science/humanities examinations and essays sometimes never ask you for anything new. You dont need to criticise anything, just say 'this guy says this, therefore this' or 'this theory says that, therefore that'. No need for any deeper level thinking than what is taught in class, sometimes, it only goes further to apply theory x on situation y, but never far enough to critique theory x or situation y.

For those kind, you can just vomit back everything wholesale and still get through uni life.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #341
Supremacy Member

No, I think some social science courses can be easily smoked through to get a second lower. Alot of social science/humanities examinations and essays sometimes never ask you for anything new. You dont need to criticise anything, just say 'this guy says this, therefore this' or 'this theory says that, therefore that'. No need for any deeper level thinking than what is taught in class, sometimes, it only goes further to apply theory x on situation y, but never far enough to critique theory x or situation y.

For those kind, you can just vomit back everything wholesale and still get through uni life.
If just want to grad..i think any non maths/science course can liao
Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #342

You from social science one?
Nope.

Maybe I am thinking along the lines of getting more than 2:1 honours, I guess different universities have different standard of marking rubrics.

Last edited by intime; 07-03-2015 at 08:25 PM..
Old 08-03-2015, 02:19 AM   #343

Hi everyoneee, literally just created an account to post here.

Anyway, I'm really curious about what kind of achievements people (who got in through DA/NAA) have. Last year when I went to the NUS open house, a student told me that he knew someone from Architecture who scored 3.0 GPA but got in through DA.

Anyone has any idea?
I got into NUS Biz through DA when I originally applied with a 5 semester GPA of 3.90 lol... My achievements include being a club president, winning an award (very minor one) at a stock investing competition and getting a bronze medal. Hope it helps.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:32 AM   #344
Supremacy Member

I got into NUS Biz through DA when I originally applied with a 5 semester GPA of 3.90 lol... My achievements include being a club president, winning an award (very minor one) at a stock investing competition and getting a bronze medal. Hope it helps.
You could have easily entered without even submitting ur cca record. I didn't submit mine when I applied
Old 08-03-2015, 02:36 AM   #345

You could have easily entered without even submitting ur cca record. I didn't submit mine when I applied
Apparently I was sent for the discretionary admission interviews lol... Guess my O levels hit my results really hard haha. L1R4 was 16 points without CCA.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.