HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Like Tree129Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #76

I think your GPA is not on the safe side for FASS. But you should try nonetheless. Yes, they can withdraw their offer if your last sem grades are bad. But I've never heard of anyone having their offers rescinded. I think its in the case that the applicant really bomb the last sem and get below 2 that kind. Or else, even if you drop by a little, it shouldnt matter to them.
Thanks for the quick reply! 😄 what about my olevels? Since it's 80% gpa and 20% olevel, how is it calculated? And how exactly does the 10th percentile thing work anw? I read in last year's thread that if say the intake for a particular course is 600, then there will be like 60 slots for those below the 10th percentile? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last question haha: is it true that the unis will have different igp for different schools? Like they will adjust accordingly to the structure etc. Not so sure about this part too.

Thanks so much!! 😄😄
Old 13-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #77

Thanks for the quick reply! 😄 what about my olevels? Since it's 80% gpa and 20% olevel, how is it calculated? And how exactly does the 10th percentile thing work anw? I read in last year's thread that if say the intake for a particular course is 600, then there will be like 60 slots for those below the 10th percentile? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last question haha: is it true that the unis will have different igp for different schools? Like they will adjust accordingly to the structure etc. Not so sure about this part too.

Thanks so much!! 😄😄
1. Yes, 20% is your O levels, however, the IGP that is does not show or reflect the O levels, so there is no way of determining how your O levels might affect.

2. That is correct, the bigger the course, the more people there are that are below the 10th percentile mark. So if you are borderline for a course, you have a higher chance if the intake is big. However, FASS itself is a very popular course. It will be competitive anyway, regardless of the size of the cohort.

3. Different igp for different schools? I'm not sure what youre talking about here. Are you saying that for a specific course, say FASS, the cut-off is also dependent on which poly you are from? I dont think so, I think the IGP and cut off is the same no matter which school you come from.
shvictaxl likes this.
Old 13-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #78

1. Yes, 20% is your O levels, however, the IGP that is does not show or reflect the O levels, so there is no way of determining how your O levels might affect.

2. That is correct, the bigger the course, the more people there are that are below the 10th percentile mark. So if you are borderline for a course, you have a higher chance if the intake is big. However, FASS itself is a very popular course. It will be competitive anyway, regardless of the size of the cohort.

3. Different igp for different schools? I'm not sure what youre talking about here. Are you saying that for a specific course, say FASS, the cut-off is also dependent on which poly you are from? I dont think so, I think the IGP and cut off is the same no matter which school you come from.
Ahh understand. Hm okay. By any chance, do you know of anybody who got into FASS with their GPA being 0.1 or more away from the IGP? :/
Old 13-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #79

Ahh understand. Hm okay. By any chance, do you know of anybody who got into FASS with their GPA being 0.1 or more away from the IGP? :/
Have you considered NTU Comms? Apparently my friend said NUS Comms is not what she expected.. like journalism and stuff.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #80

Have you considered NTU Comms? Apparently my friend said NUS Comms is not what she expected.. like journalism and stuff.
Hey there! Yeah I did, but since I'm already doing comms in NP, I find it quite redundant to study the same things again, especially when what I've learnt in NP gives me a pretty good comms background and foundation. I wanna do either Eng Language or Eng Lit so I kinda have NTU e lit to fall back on if FASS's a no go. But not that keen on doing lit for 4 years tho :/ first choice's still english haha.
Old 14-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #81

Hi. I'm graduating from NP Banking and Finance.
GPA: 3.47 (6th sem as internship)
Olvl L1B4: 9

Any related courses I may get into? Chances?
Old 14-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #82

Related? As in business? Well the closest would be SMU biz (3.72) but that seems quite far-fetched. Your chances for any related biz courses are really low, possible zero. You could try for other non-related courses though.
Old 14-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #83

Hi all, I'm graduating from NP Aerospace Electronics this year.
5 sem GPA 3.8466
O Level l1r4: 3(Eng,A Math A1)
What are my chances of getting into NUS Business and NTU Business?
Now NUS Business 10th percentile 3.86. Very sad sia... Previous year 3.82
Old 14-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #84

Related? As in business? Well the closest would be SMU biz (3.72) but that seems quite far-fetched. Your chances for any related biz courses are really low, possible zero. You could try for other non-related courses though.
I saw SMU Information System Management, will that be hard? Non-related courses such as? Even engineering is hard for me I guess..
Old 14-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #85

I saw SMU Information System Management, will that be hard? Non-related courses such as? Even engineering is hard for me I guess..
I think you can safely scratch NUS off the list since your GPA seems abit too far. But apply anyway, who knows, $10 application fee only.

I dont think you even qualify for NTU engin courses since your diploma is not relevant, NTU states that they require a diploma with merit to apply for non-relevant courses.

Source: Apply to NTU: Diploma awarded by a polytechnic in Singapore

This pretty much leaves HSS courses in NTU. This leaves you with Chinese, English, Philosophy and Soci as courses within your GPA range. You can also try for Physics and Applied Physics.

You can try for SMU's ISM, your GPA is pretty close to the IGP and you have a strong O-level score. You might be shortlisted for an interview depending on this year's competition. But among these courses, what are you really interested in? ISM is a challenging course from what I hear. Programming and coding is not something you can pick up overnight. Its better if you apply to something you have genuine or more interest in. You might regret it if you simply choose any course just because you want to get into local uni.

SIT and Unisim(Full-time) has a few courses that you would be eligible for, and the competition for spaces is not as tough as for local uni courses.
Old 14-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #86

I think you can safely scratch NUS off the list since your GPA seems abit too far. But apply anyway, who knows, $10 application fee only.

I dont think you even qualify for NTU engin courses since your diploma is not relevant, NTU states that they require a diploma with merit to apply for non-relevant courses.

Source: Apply to NTU: Diploma awarded by a polytechnic in Singapore

This pretty much leaves HSS courses in NTU. This leaves you with Chinese, English, Philosophy and Soci as courses within your GPA range. You can also try for Physics and Applied Physics.

You can try for SMU's ISM, your GPA is pretty close to the IGP and you have a strong O-level score. You might be shortlisted for an interview depending on this year's competition. But among these courses, what are you really interested in? ISM is a challenging course from what I hear. Programming and coding is not something you can pick up overnight. Its better if you apply to something you have genuine or more interest in. You might regret it if you simply choose any course just because you want to get into local uni.

SIT and Unisim(Full-time) has a few courses that you would be eligible for, and the competition for spaces is not as tough as for local uni courses.
Yes.. I agree. I'm thinking between SMU'S ISM and other banking related courses in Unis like RMIT/UOL etc.. Just felt abit wasted. Another course that I may be interested may be Maritime Studies.. But it seems abit far-fetched.

Last edited by Lustrea; 14-01-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Old 14-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #87

Hi all, I'm graduating from NP Aerospace Electronics this year.
5 sem GPA 3.8466
O Level l1r4: 3(Eng,A Math A1)
What are my chances of getting into NUS Business and NTU Business?
Now NUS Business 10th percentile 3.86. Very sad sia... Previous year 3.82
l1r4 3? wow impressive. I guess if you apply to all the 3 unis you can at least get one assuming you pass the SMU interview.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #88

l1r4 3? wow impressive. I guess if you apply to all the 3 unis you can at least get one assuming you pass the SMU interview.
Thanks. Hoping to get into NBS though... the 3 year programme is very attractive due to ns...
Old 15-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #89

u do have a gd o lvls but related course should be hard can try thoses non related maybe still gain a uni placement. or SIM course

Last edited by bwatch; 15-01-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Old 15-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #90

Thanks. Hoping to get into NBS though... the 3 year programme is very attractive due to ns...
yeah 3 years is good maybe if you get multiple offers then you may have to rethink your choices again haha
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.