NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeyarn

Reaction score
Guys! i am deciding between SMU social sciences and NTU sociology, any recommendations? thanks in advance!

lalaland1527

Reaction score
Guys! i am deciding between SMU social sciences and NTU sociology, any recommendations? thanks in advance!

Hi, may i know what is your rank points if you are from the JC route? I am offered Chinese (First choice NTU mass comms which, obviously, rejected me). What i am surprised is that i am rejected by NTU socio which is my second choice, coz my RP (72.75) meets the COP of 72.5 from last yr. It gives me the feeling that NTU socio is very popular this year!

I guess i will most likely end up in NUS FASS which accepted me, but will still try my best to appeal to NTU mass comm!

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hi, may i know what is your rank points if you are from the JC route? I am offered Chinese (First choice NTU mass comms which, obviously, rejected me). What i am surprised is that i am rejected by NTU socio which is my second choice, coz my RP (72.75) meets the COP of 72.5 from last yr. It gives me the feeling that NTU socio is very popular this year!

I guess i will most likely end up in NUS FASS which accepted me, but will still try my best to appeal to NTU mass comm!

Whoaaa. Soci rejected you but FASS accepted you? NTU must really be rising huh. FASS used to be the hardest humanities/SS course to get in leh. Usually its easier to get into NTU rather than FASS. Looks like things are looking up for NTU.

cheeyarn

Reaction score

I am from polytechnic... Yeap... Sociology is rather popular I would say... Their intake not a lot of people... So they would probably shortlist those who put their sociology as first choice? That's my inference

Gowhek12

Reaction score

It really depends on what u are looking for. Main benefit for NTU is straight honors. However, SMU graduates do get a higher starting pay and they have more internships. Also do consider the culture difference and decide on which you prefer!

isrida96

Reaction score
guys is ntu econs good? im accepted into ntu econs and is waiting for smu accountancy outcome so will like to knw if ntu econs is worth going for if smu didnt get?

and one more thing if your smu interview you did not get the course will they give u another course and will you need to go for another interview?

taghueur

Reaction score
Just my two cents

Hi guys, would like to share some of my experience with relation to university admission.

Last year despite having RP of 73 I couldn't get into a course of my choice with 72.5 as the minumum entry RP. This course was what I wanted but I placed it as one of my last choice so by the time I was called for the interview it was already somewhere end of may. My point here is arrangement of choices is definitely of paramount importance. To future applicants do remember to refine your choices time and again to make sure you place a course (which yoyour RP has met the course's RP so that your application don't get thrown from One course to another). This year I placed it as first choice and after the test and interview, I received acceptance two days later.

Good luck to all who have yet to receive offers, keep up the faith!

hautemonde

Reaction score

wow you got into fass through 72.75 directly?!

zengx2

Reaction score
Hi guys,could some of you give me some of your opinion on which school to choose? I have been accepted into NUS FOS for science & NTU SBS for biological sciences with 2nd major in biomedical structural biology(new course).

My original plan was to study pharmacy as I am interested in research regarding drugs and vaccines. However, nothing ever goes according to plan & I scored RP of 84.3 which even the professors in NUS say I would likely not qualify for DA. So now I'm stuck between these 2 choices. Below are some of the pros/cons I am considering:

NUS:
+World ranking,strong alumni, great history, renown in research
- very competitive
-special programme (eg. joint degree, oversea programme, minor etc) are mainly granted to top students that I dont think I can ever qualify for
- I would like to study life science with specialization in biomedical sciences but I am worried about bidding for the pharmacy modules as I am sure it is popular

NTU:
+ direct honours
+ my second major consist of modules related to vaccine and drug designing (which is what I want to study)
- world ranking, alumni, history not as good as NUS but I think it is decent for a young uni
- still havent receive any reply from nanyang scholarship
- I would need to drop my second major if I cannot maintain gpa 4.0

Overall, transport is a problem for both uni, so I am just going to ignore it. Also, I dont feellike there is a great difference between student life in the 2 uni (if you are aware of huge differences, please share). I know in the field of research, a honour degree is not going to get me anywhere so I am planning to pursue PhD after completing my undergraduate. I'm currently undergoing a 4 month internship with IBN, Astar and aware of the bleakness in R&D. If you are still reading this long post, thank you very much for your time & I hope that you could give me some constructive comments or even discuss further about some things. Currently, I am leaning more towards NTU & I think I should stop hogging up university spots.

aaa123

Reaction score

I believe its because NUS focuses more on the holistic aspect for admission.. your internship etc helped you. Whereas NTU is probably more desperate to reserve places for ppl with better results purely and does not view DA as highly as NUS... considering how they always mention that more and more top students are selecting NTU.

Liao123

Reaction score
Hi guys,could some of you give me some of your opinion on which school to choose? I have been accepted into NUS FOS for science & NTU SBS for biological sciences with 2nd major in biomedical structural biology(new course).

My original plan was to study pharmacy as I am interested in research regarding drugs and vaccines. However, nothing ever goes according to plan & I scored RP of 84.3 which even the professors in NUS say I would likely not qualify for DA. So now I'm stuck between these 2 choices. Below are some of the pros/cons I am considering:

NUS:
+World ranking,strong alumni, great history, renown in research
- very competitive
-special programme (eg. joint degree, oversea programme, minor etc) are mainly granted to top students that I dont think I can ever qualify for
- I would like to study life science with specialization in biomedical sciences but I am worried about bidding for the pharmacy modules as I am sure it is popular

NTU:
+ direct honours
+ my second major consist of modules related to vaccine and drug designing (which is what I want to study)
- world ranking, alumni, history not as good as NUS but I think it is decent for a young uni
- still havent receive any reply from nanyang scholarship
- I would need to drop my second major if I cannot maintain gpa 4.0

Overall, transport is a problem for both uni, so I am just going to ignore it. Also, I dont feellike there is a great difference between student life in the 2 uni (if you are aware of huge differences, please share). I know in the field of research, a honour degree is not going to get me anywhere so I am planning to pursue PhD after completing my undergraduate. I'm currently undergoing a 4 month internship with IBN, Astar and aware of the bleakness in R&D. If you are still reading this long post, thank you very much for your time & I hope that you could give me some constructive comments or even discuss further about some things. Currently, I am leaning more towards NTU & I think I should stop hogging up university spots.

Some misconceptions here. NTU is as competitive as NUS if you are fighting to get a good honours degree. NTU also has a good world ranking. Personally, I prefer NTU... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.