NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaa123

Reaction score
Hi guys,could some of you give me some of your opinion on which school to choose? I have been accepted into NUS FOS for science & NTU SBS for biological sciences with 2nd major in biomedical structural biology(new course).

My original plan was to study pharmacy as I am interested in research regarding drugs and vaccines. However, nothing ever goes according to plan & I scored RP of 84.3 which even the professors in NUS say I would likely not qualify for DA. So now I'm stuck between these 2 choices. Below are some of the pros/cons I am considering:

NUS:
+World ranking,strong alumni, great history, renown in research
- very competitive
-special programme (eg. joint degree, oversea programme, minor etc) are mainly granted to top students that I dont think I can ever qualify for
- I would like to study life science with specialization in biomedical sciences but I am worried about bidding for the pharmacy modules as I am sure it is popular

NTU:
+ direct honours
+ my second major consist of modules related to vaccine and drug designing (which is what I want to study)
- world ranking, alumni, history not as good as NUS but I think it is decent for a young uni
- still havent receive any reply from nanyang scholarship
- I would need to drop my second major if I cannot maintain gpa 4.0

Overall, transport is a problem for both uni, so I am just going to ignore it. Also, I dont feellike there is a great difference between student life in the 2 uni (if you are aware of huge differences, please share). I know in the field of research, a honour degree is not going to get me anywhere so I am planning to pursue PhD after completing my undergraduate. I'm currently undergoing a 4 month internship with IBN, Astar and aware of the bleakness in R&D. If you are still reading this long post, thank you very much for your time & I hope that you could give me some constructive comments or even discuss further about some things. Currently, I am leaning more towards NTU & I think I should stop hogging up university spots.

WHat kind of environment do you think you will thrive in? Considering how ppl always mention that NUS is more competitive etc... Maybe NTU will be a better choice if you prefer a more lepak environment?

You mentioned that it is a new major in NTU.. I don't think its wise to be the guinea pig batch for something as important as uni education.

Lastly, I dont't think you will be offered the Nanyang scholarship as your results probably isn't good enough (no offence)

Nonetheless, at the end of the day, if you really have the potential and determination, I am sure you will be able to achieve your goals regardless of your choice of uni.

lindaxxx

Reaction score
hi i saw a few getting into FASS with rank points of 72++

i also got rank points of 72.5 which i know is way off the cut off for FASS. But i opted for MT bonus points scheme since i got an A for my chinese in A levels. So my rank points will be around 73 if im not wrong. 73 is a little above the 10th percentile for mt related FASS. I dont mind getting into FASS(mt related)...

have anyone got into fass (mt related) and do you think i'll be able to get in?

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, would like to share some of my experience with relation to university admission.

Last year despite having RP of 73 I couldn't get into a course of my choice with 72.5 as the minumum entry RP. This course was what I wanted but I placed it as one of my last choice so by the time I was called for the interview it was already somewhere end of may. My point here is arrangement of choices is definitely of paramount importance. To future applicants do remember to refine your choices time and again to make sure you place a course (which yoyour RP has met the course's RP so that your application don't get thrown from One course to another). This year I placed it as first choice and after the test and interview, I received acceptance two days later.

Good luck to all who have yet to receive offers, keep up the faith!

i think it might be bcos rp is jus a rough gauge of the admission criteria.. i believe each faculty have their own unique 'index' when ranking students. think about it... y would fass rank a sci subject as important as humanities subject... so even tho ur rp is about cut off point, ur actual score in terms of the 'index' might not be able to make the cut.

ratcha

Reaction score
hey for those who have alr received offers from nus, whats the estimated time before i receive sms from nus after my application status has changed from "processing" to " have been processed" on the portal?
thx

Jasmine_Ong

Reaction score
hi i saw a few getting into FASS with rank points of 72++

i also got rank points of 72.5 which i know is way off the cut off for FASS. But i opted for MT bonus points scheme since i got an A for my chinese in A levels. So my rank points will be around 73 if im not wrong. 73 is a little above the 10th percentile for mt related FASS. I dont mind getting into FASS(mt related)...

have anyone got into fass (mt related) and do you think i'll be able to get in?

I also had UAS of 73+ inclusive of my MT bonus point (A for H1 Chinese) but given NUS Project and Facilities Management (my 2nd choice). I believe I got rejected for my first choice which is FASS

Gowhek12

Reaction score
hey for those who have alr received offers from nus, whats the estimated time before i receive sms from nus after my application status has changed from "processing" to " have been processed" on the portal?
thx
My friend who got offered a place in FASS only took 1day.

Iamatiger

Reaction score
I also had UAS of 73+ inclusive of my MT bonus point (A for H1 Chinese) but given NUS Project and Facilities Management (my 2nd choice). I believe I got rejected for my first choice which is FASS

My gf retake her A level last year and got into FASS with UAS 70 this year, her GP also not that gd, either C or below.

lalaland1527

Reaction score
And they said FASS is becoming more and more competitive

I wun say that FASS is getting less competitive, but rather, they may put more focus on applicants' other achievements than NTU. I believe my case is not common, hence, i am really grateful.

Whoaaa. Soci rejected you but FASS accepted you? NTU must really be rising huh. FASS used to be the hardest humanities/SS course to get in leh. Usually its easier to get into NTU rather than FASS. Looks like things are looking up for NTU.

wow you got into fass through 72.75 directly?!

I am surprised too! It is so unbelievable that I kept calling NUS to make sure they did not make any mistakes, as mentioned in my previous post. The office of admissions kept assuring me that if i am admitted through MTL bonus point scheme, it will be stated in the aces portal from the start.

lalaland1527

Reaction score
I am from polytechnic... Yeap... Sociology is rather popular I would say... Their intake not a lot of people... So they would probably shortlist those who put their sociology as first choice? That's my inference

Ah icic, yes, that is possible too, and i think, will be fairer for those who genuinely wants to study sociology at NTU.

I believe its because NUS focuses more on the holistic aspect for admission.. your internship etc helped you. Whereas NTU is probably more desperate to reserve places for ppl with better results purely and does not view DA as highly as NUS... considering how they always mention that more and more top students are selecting NTU.

Hey aaa123, that is some interesting insights! I have always thought that NTU is the one which looks more on the holistic aspect of applicants, but it seems now that NUS is the one who focus more on the 'Non-academic achievements' section for my case. If that is the case, my application outcomes for NTU and NUS are understandable. Yeap, i guess my 200 word essay about my internship and recommendation letters really play large roles for my acceptance into FASS!

lalaland1527

Reaction score
thx

Hi ratcha,

My status took about 2 and a half weeks to change. I know people who received their offers in late May, don't worry too much!

For my case, they took a morning or so to change from 'have been processed' to 'outcome of application'.

maicowpeh

Reaction score
I expect FASS cop this year to be BCCC or BBCC sho many article saying FASS goin to increase igp scare me nia

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Btw did such things happened before like da without interview or FASS igp srsly drop till sho bad

Well, Uni IGP seems to be cyclical to me, if you compare from back to when they first started releasing the IGP(2006?). FASS used to be called the 'NUS NIE' and considered the dumping ground. But since like 2011 onwards, FASS became more popular(ABB/B) and engineering became the dumping ground. Now popularity seems to be shifting towards engineering courses. Especially if you observe NTU's mech engin, it rose from what was CCC/D in 2012? to ABC/D this year.

Not sure if global economic outlook has anything to play a part. (this could be an FYP thesis lol). My hypothesis would be that on years where employment outlook looks bleak, engineering would be favoured for the employment security. On year's where employment outlook looks good, there would be a higher probability that students would take the chance with a humanities/SS course instead.

ratcha

Reaction score
Lol i juz got offered engineering and economics. My choice for single degree was chem eng. Does that mean im still in chem eng and econs at same time? Or is it juz enginnering alone by itself

fathernature

Reaction score
Ah icic, yes, that is possible too, and i think, will be fairer for those who genuinely wants to study sociology at NTU.

Hey aaa123, that is some interesting insights! I have always thought that NTU is the one which looks more on the holistic aspect of applicants, but it seems now that NUS is the one who focus more on the 'Non-academic achievements' section for my case. If that is the case, my application outcomes for NTU and NUS are understandable. Yeap, i guess my 200 word essay about my internship and recommendation letters really play large roles for my acceptance into FASS!
How did u submit the recommendation letters. Nus did not ask for it right ?

escape2

Reaction score
I'm from jc and got 75 rp, also tio rejected by fass... Which is weird considering I heard that nus policy is award positions based on results first before opening up to naa/dc to those who cmi, whereas ntu is the one which accepts naa/dc regardless of results first. Could be coz I from the batch 2 years before.

Anyone konws ppl who got into wkwsci (ntu mass comm) with ~75rp this year? Thinking of appealing, but didnt get shortlisted their reception earlier this month... I got offered nus science and ntu econs btw. A for gp, my h2 sciences didnt do too well, so was surprised when they offered me science rather than fass, since from what I've seen their cutoffs are similar this year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.